What's new

ASUS RT-AC86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384_81049

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This firmware has added a DNS server option for the reservation list.

Annotation 2019-09-08 125106.jpg

How to stop auto upgrade i would like to stay on 45717. I would like to turn off and set it so the only option something is installed on my router is when i want it to.

Last edited by a moderator:
How to stop auto upgrade i would like to stay on 45717. I would like to turn off and set it so the only option something is installed on my router is when i want it to.

The 86U does not auto upgrade. Do nothing and it will stay where it is.

OE

My current AImesh setup is a RT-AC86 (aka Rt-AC2900) as main router, connected to AC66U B1 (AI Node) by ethernet cable.

I was an early adopter on the 81039 firmware for both routers, and experienced NO issues with it, except for a little bit more cpu usage on the AC86. But other than that it worked like a charm.

Upgraded to 81049 (factory reset and all the "to do's"). Now i get frequent AI node disconnects (about three times a day) and need to power cycle the AC66 B1.
And also see excessive WLCEVENT activity in the log.

Where can i find the 81039 firmware for the AC66U B1 ? or can i use the 81039 firmware for the AC68U (as these are considderen more or less the same router)

Where can i find the 81039 firmware for the AC66U B1 ? or can i use the 81039 firmware for the AC68U (as these are considderen more or less the same router)
These are completely different routers, for 66U_B1 you can use 68U firmware, but not 86U!

Last edited:
My current AImesh setup is a RT-AC86 (aka Rt-AC2900) as main router, connected to AC66U B1 (AI Node) by ethernet cable.

I was an early adopter on the 81039 firmware for both routers, and experienced NO issues with it, except for a little bit more cpu usage on the AC86. But other than that it worked like a charm.

Upgraded to 81049 (factory reset and all the "to do's"). Now i get frequent AI node disconnects (about three times a day) and need to power cycle the AC66 B1.
And also see excessive WLCEVENT activity in the log.

same situation in my system.

fw for 66u_b1 is same like 68u
https://dlsvr04.asus.com.cn/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC68U/FW_RT_AC68U_300438481039.zip

For me 81049 in 86u and 81039 in node (68u) work ok.

Not with recent firmware, but as we know about a year after release they had firmwares which autoupdated ;)

Never saw it, fake news, ancient history. ;)

OE

I bought a used ac86u to add it to my aimesh setup (1 ac86u main+ 1 ac86u node +1 ac68u node). the latest 86u came with FW 45717, I searched for it, found it and added it as a node and everything seems to be working fine. I then updated the router to the latest fw 81049 and found that 2.4 is not working, I can see it ok but nothing is connecting to it. I reset the router and try to add it again as a node and now I can't find it :D.

I bought a used ac86u to add it to my aimesh setup (1 ac86u main+ 1 ac86u node +1 ac68u node). the latest 86u came with FW 45717, I searched for it, found it and added it as a node and everything seems to be working fine. I then updated the router to the latest fw 81049 and found that 2.4 is not working, I can see it ok but nothing is connecting to it. I reset the router and try to add it again as a node and now I can't find it :D.

Being used doesn't help. If it doesn't cooperate on 45717, I'd return it.

OE

Yep, ancient history. I would not knowingly buy a router that auto-updates its firmware... that's just too reckless.
ancient?
bugs usually gets older before they are fixed by Asus if at all.
86U GUI hanging, power off after reboot as some examples, they started to happen long before in 2017.

ancient?
bugs usually gets older before they are fixed by Asus if at all.
86U GUI hanging, power off after reboot as some examples, they started to happen long before in 2017.

We were discussing 86U firmware auto updating. You referenced reports dating from Nov 2017-Jan 2018. My 86U from Mar 2018 never exhibited auto updating, and I have seen no other reports since. So, it's over with... ancient history, relatively speaking.

But if you want to dredge up every past fault and lay it at ASUS' doorstep for all to see, that's ok... it's helpful to know the past.

OE

I'm only up when I read 'fake news', sorry.
And I loved my 86Us and still recommend it for people where it fits!
But too many bugs for me to stay with it or half supported features I'd liked to use and others should know what they get and what not to be able to make a good decision when buying new hardware.

upload to node fw 81039 then 2.4GHz should work without any problem. I have same issue with latest fw.

Me, too. Unfortunately, as much as I despise the present day use of that term in unsavory ways, it is an Internet reality of our time... misinformation. But that's not the case here... ASUS's faults are real and firm, if not hard.

OE

And I loved my 86Us and still recommend it for people where it fits!
But too many bugs for me to stay with it or half supported features I'd liked to use and others should know what they get and what not to be able to make a good decision when buying new hardware.

True all those features are buggy and unfinished.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!