What's new

ASUS RT-AC86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384_81049

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have master ac86u with a single AC1900P aimesh node. Both are Aimeshed wirelessly . All works except daily I get connection drops between the master and mesh node. I tried FW 81049 for weeks, no luck, as some of you suggested I reverted both nodes back to FW 45717 and am still experiencing the occasional drop, albeit it might be less. When the drops /disconnects occur it reconnects automatically in a couple of minutes, but still annoying as heck.

Any one experience something similar?

as others have mentioned , after reverting back to FW 45717, the logs are clean , but drops still occurring...

I have master ac86u with a single AC1900P aimesh node. Both are Aimeshed wirelessly . All works except daily I get connection drops between the master and mesh node. I tried FW 81049 for weeks, no luck, as some of you suggested I reverted both nodes back to FW 45717 and am still experiencing the occasional drop, albeit it might be less. When the drops /disconnects occur it reconnects automatically in a couple of minutes, but still annoying as heck.

Any one experience something similar?

as others have mentioned , after reverting back to FW 45717, the logs are clean , but drops still occurring...

Have you monitored the WiFi signals in an analyzer app to see if they are holding up?

Are you resetting the firmware before configuration?

OE

Technical support gave it to me.
2019-09-13-102116.png

If needed, I can give in PM.

Can you PM me the link also please

CC

14 days 23 hours 42 minute(s) 6 seconds

Router working just fine....

My guess is buggy black box binaries from the SoC vendors is a big source of issues. Add to that likely lowest bidder code contractors.

I could be wrong though

did asus secretly reupload the fw. my original 86u is running well for sometime now.

did asus secretly reupload the fw. my original 86u is running well for sometime now.
There was a post in another forum saying that if you got a backdoored Russian firmware it may run better than Asus' own because the hackers would remove bugs so the user would be less likely to look into his router

so this is interesting, got a cheap 86u from amazon warehouse to add as an aimesh node it was a 2018 model and it was fully broken,no 2.4 or 5 Ghz working after an update. got it replaced recently with a 2017 model like the main one i already have. set it up as an aimesh node and it worked perfectly. after i while the 2.4 radio started acting weird, current devices connected to it would have no access to the internet and any new device i try to connect would get a wrong password error. i thought at first it's another broken router:( but before i started the replacement process i set it up as an access point and try different things to see if it'll work properly. i started disabling some options in the professional tab and as soon as i disabled explicit beamforming 2.4 worked without any problems. going on 24 hours now, i hope it stays working.

edit: nope, it's another faulty 86u. problem back again no matter what i change.

Last edited:
I dont think its a faulty 86u, because I have the exact same problem and have an AC1900P. I think its AIMesh itself. I tried all settings and recommendations without success. Had hope with your beamforming post, but tried it and had 1 disconnect today. Very annoying , reverting to AP mode for good I think.

I dont think its a faulty 86u, because I have the exact same problem and have an AC1900P. I think its AIMesh itself. I tried all settings and recommendations without success. Had hope with your beamforming post, but tried it and had 1 disconnect today. Very annoying , reverting to AP mode for good I think.

maybe it's an aimesh problem for you but unfortunately for me i have the same problems even in AP mode and it's getting more frequent. i'm %100 sure it's a hardware problem in my case.

i don't know what's going on anymore, i was advised to take my router to the local asus router distributor where i live(a bit on the expensive side so never i buy from them) and they've been testing my router for two days on the same settings i used. they didn't factory reset or change anything and it worked there without any problems. i even went there the first day and connected to my router with no issues, waited another 24 hours and tried again and it's working fine. they gave me back the router and didn't charge me anything cause they didn't do anything. they just plugged it and used it:confused::confused::confused::confused:. i think i'll just Merlin all three routers and see what happens.

update: problem gone

Last edited:
I am stuck/stable with 45717 on my main 86u and 45149 on my two 1900P aimesh nodes for different reasons. The 86u disconnects my thermostats if I upgrade and the nodes scan and change the wifi frequencies every 15 minutes, disconnect all clients, then change back to my static frequencies and clients reconnect. Would really like to upgrade to address security vulnerabilities.

Just an update , since changing from AIMesh to Wireless repeater mode, I have had zero issues, zero connectivity drops for over a week. When AIMesh'd I would have daily (internet not available ) events that would fix itself eventually in minutes, but even still unacceptable. Still on 45717, but might go back to 8x firmware now. Main is 86U with a single 1900P node.

I didnt think the merlin code base touched the AIMesh code, which is why I didnt try using merlin on everything. Anyone think its worth a try?

Just an update , since changing from AIMesh to Wireless repeater mode, I have had zero issues, zero connectivity drops for over a week. When AIMesh'd I would have daily (internet not available ) events that would fix itself eventually in minutes, but even still unacceptable. Still on 45717, but might go back to 8x firmware now. Main is 86U with a single 1900P node.

I didnt think the merlin code base touched the AIMesh code, which is why I didnt try using merlin on everything. Anyone think its worth a try?
FWIW I use Aimesh via Ethernet from my AC86u router to the two AC1900 nodes. If future updates don't work I will consider moving off Aimesh to Access Points.

In less than two weeks - it will be TWO MONTHS since ASUS released this Firmware.................

MY RT86U -- RT66U B1 (connected by ethernet) with AImesh setup had been working pretty good in the past, but have for two months now been unstable, and forced PowerOn-cycles (ca every 5 days) have become a routine. (5Ghz is the main problem it dissapears)

What is ASUS waiting for ? FIX IT!

(NO i don't want to revert back to an older FW, nor go to Merlin) - They should fix this now and take care of their customers, two months is too long.

Last edited:
for me working configuration is 81049 for 86u, and 81039 for 68u as a node. i wait for new fw.

My reporting is a bit different...

On my ac86u (hw1.5, year 2018) I had problems with merlin 384.13; both bands were always seen, however could sometimes not connect to 5 GHz. Also, if I somehow could connect to it, it would take quite a few seconds obtaining an ip address...

Did a factory default, upgraded to 81049, factory reset again, new config, everything works for now. Yes, there are these WLCEVENT logs, but otherwise no problems so far, connecting to both bands is instant. Will report if something goes wrong...

Edit: runtime 3 days, everything OK, even signal strength is WAY better than with merlin 384.13, no hiccups whatsoever.

Edit2: incredible, but the router is totally stable. Response to everything is snappy, fast. 5 days without any problems, all clients connect to router almost instantly over 2.4 or 5 GHz signal.

Yeah, I miss all the features of Merlin fw, but having a working router without worrying is way more important.

Merlin? How could this be? Your fw is based on which version?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!