What's new

ASUS RT-AC86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384_81049

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm glad to see a new firmware is in the works but this is around the 3rd firmware that Asus has released and subsequently pulled this year which doesn't strike much confidence in me, so hopefully this one is different.

This is not a public release, this is an internal beta that was provided by tech support for this specific user.

386 is still quite a while away from an official release.

This is not a public release, this is an internal beta that was provided by tech support for this specific user.

386 is still quite a while away from an official release.

I'm happy to wait for official releases, but interesting hear what's cooking...

starting to get regular daily drops on the 5Ghz band that goes away with a restart. never had this problem before.

starting to get regular daily drops on the 5Ghz band that goes away with a restart. never had this problem before.

Is this on the same new used 86U that you flashed a few times and then posted was bricked? Or is this on your other 86U? Do you use a UPS to safeguard power when flashing firmware?

I would install 45717, reset, configure and hold.

OE

Is this on the same new used 86U that you flashed a few times and then posted was bricked? Or is this on your other 86U? Do you use a UPS to safeguard power when flashing firmware?

I would install 45717, reset, configure and hold.

OE
it's my old trusty 2017 model that's been serving me well for 2 years now. I'll roll back to 45717 and test it.

i just realized something. rebooting from the gui is causing some wifi problems and gui lag but a physical reboot makes the router run buttery smooth. for example 5Ghz is not stable with a gui reboot but runs very well with a physical reboot, also gui reboot shows many wrong clients connected to the router.

i just realized something. rebooting from the gui is causing some wifi problems and gui lag but a physical reboot makes the router run buttery smooth. for example 5Ghz is not stable with a gui reboot but runs very well with a physical reboot, also gui reboot shows many wrong clients connected to the router.

Install 45717. WebUI Restore w/Initialization to reset. Configure from scratch. Disable Smart Connect and use separate SSIDs and other settings per my notes. Do not enable Trend Micro features for now.

How's it working now?

OE

Install 45717. WebUI Restore w/Initialization to reset. Configure from scratch. Disable Smart Connect and use separate SSIDs and other settings per my notes. Do not enable Trend Micro features for now.

How's it working now?

OE
haven't installed 45717 yet. the router has been running well with 81049 for more than 24 hours now after a physical reboot. i'll give it another day or two and if nothing goes wrong i'll stick with it.

haven't installed 45717 yet. the router has been running well with 81049 for more than 24 hours now after a physical reboot. i'll give it another day or two and if nothing goes wrong i'll stick with it.

t-i-c-k, t-i-c-k, t-i-c-k, ... :)

OE

t-i-c-k, t-i-c-k, t-i-c-k, ... :)

OE
time's up.....back to 45717 it is. the difference in system log entries is staggering, on 457171 it's almost empty compared to 81049. not to mention better WiFi, more responsive UI etc etc.

time's up.....back to 45717 it is. the difference in system log entries is staggering, on 457171 it's almost empty compared to 81049. not to mention better WiFi, more responsive UI etc etc.

Yup! 45717 feels good here... and the WiFi does seem stronger when looking at it in the analyzer app.

OE

I am on 3.0.0.4.384_81049 for a couple days and its perfectly OK for me using one RT-AC86U only, of course it logs the clients connecting/disconnecting but that is what the log is for I guess?

I am on 3.0.0.4.384_81049 for a couple days and its perfectly OK for me using one RT-AC86U only, of course it logs the clients connecting/disconnecting but that is what the log is for I guess?

It’s logging that because it is THE CAUSE of the disconnects and reconnects. It’s unstable.

It’s logging that because it is THE CAUSE of the disconnects and reconnects. It’s unstable.
Not in my case, I have zero devices disconnect in my static environment (family away, house empty...) in that scenario we have 23 clients connected (18 of those on wireless)
Security cameras on 2.4Ghz, wifi printer, Amazon Echo, iPad sitting around, home IOT devices...
All these 18 clients do not show in the log at all, only once we come home with iPhones, family and friends come over, the log goes crazy, people come and go so this is all good.

Technical support gave it to me.
2019-09-13-102116.png

If needed, I can give in PM.
Can you also DM me the link? I would like to give it a try :rolleyes:

I installed 81049 on my RT-AC2900 and everything went bananas! Both my asus lyra nodes went offline and my internetconnection is randomly dropping. Reverted back to 45717 and everything is fine.

I installed 81049 on my RT-AC2900 and everything went bananas! Both my asus lyra nodes went offline and my internetconnection is randomly dropping. Reverted back to 45717 and everything is fine.

"everything went bananas!"
I wish these router firmware updates where a bit more easy, similar to Apple iOS updates, usually one doesn't need to restore or reboot or follow any specific upgrade methodology....
I wonder if that has to do with the open Linux based firmware??

"everything went bananas!"
I wish these router firmware updates where a bit more easy, similar to Apple iOS updates, usually one doesn't need to restore or reboot or follow any specific upgrade methodology....
I wonder if that has to do with the open Linux based firmware??
Nothing to do with open source Linux. Just a case of poor quality control / lack of testing. Apple went the Unix/Linux route with OS X.

Router firmwares are monolithic, they aren't meant for modular updates. The chosen kernel has nothing to do with it, be it Linux or BSD.