What's new

ASUS RT-AC86U Firmware version RT-AC86U_3.0.0.4.384.32797

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The way I see it, this issue was easy to replicate on a different set of 86Us and easy to eliminate by downgrading the firmware. I think ASUS should pull firmware 3.0.0.4.384.32797 for the 86U.

OE
This firmware cuts my internet speed in half.

hmmm. on this fw my 86 has worse range than before. I think that becouse my node (68u) sometimes can't connect to aimesh router by 5GHz (no 5GHz led on node (on previouse fw never had this problem).

Anyone have the same?

On my 2xRT-AC86U 21140 with difficult wireless backhaul path, I've seen the 5.0 GHz backhaul MAC entry in the Wireless Log disappear (no surprise there!) and the node 5.0 LED go steady ON. And the General Log only had 3 entries despite 15+ hours of up time... odd. A GUI reboot recovered it. Maybe the node 5.0 radio flaked out...

Sorry, not much help there.

I suppose your 86U to 68U wireless backhaul is limited by the 68U build.

OE

maybe, i will roll back to previouse fw in 68u and test

I too have issues with 5GHz with 32797 firmware. With the RT-86u as a node to my GT-AC5300 (main router) also on latest firmware I get no 5GHz at all from the node. 2.4GHz is fine. Reverting the RT-AC86U to 21140 I have no issues with 5GHz on the node.
After a lot of testing and restoring to default settings I have given up with the latest firmware and reverted back to 21140 on both routers, awaiting next version.

I have a RT-AC86U upstairs with a TP Link RE650 downstairs to extend the wifi range. Before this firmware I had a stable and good 5Ghz connection between the 2, but now the extender can't connect to the router. I am thinking of reverting back to the 21140 also as this firmware has broken something for me.

My 5GHz performance was a mess, in fact the whole thing was a mess.

I did a complete init, including resetting the nodes. Basic default setup, no guest network and it seems fine. So far...

I have 2x RT-AC86u's and haven't had any issues on the newest firmware. I am also using a wired backhaul so I assume that's why - as it seems you folks having issues are on a wireless backhaul

I have 2x RT-AC86u's and haven't had any issues on the newest firmware. I am also using a wired backhaul so I assume that's why - as it seems you folks having issues are on a wireless backhaul

I speed tested on several wireless clients at the node with a wired backhaul as noted here. Can you test this on your system... and be sure to run the test repeatedly... a few times is not enough.

I used http://www.speedtest.net and dslreports https://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?.

Edit: Mitch did not test it.

OE

Last edited:
hmmm. on this fw my 86 has worse range than before. I think that becouse my node (68u) sometimes can't connect to aimesh router by 5GHz (no 5GHz led on node (on previouse fw never had this problem).

Anyone have the same?
Yes I had the same problem. Very strange behavior, you should reboot the router then you change the control channel. After a couple of minutes the 5Ghz works again on the node.
This problem I had also on the 2.4GHz. (change the Control Chanel)
Now they both are up for 11 days.

Anyone having WOL issues with this firmware? Previously I was able to use the AiCloud app or Web GUI interface to successfully send a WOL packet to a target computer on my LAN. This is not working since upgrading to this recent firmware.

The b/g protection check box is greyed out and cannot be disabled. I would think this should be off by default. Anyone else have this issue?

The b/g protection check box is greyed out and cannot be disabled. I would think this should be off by default. Anyone else have this issue?
same here since years what I can remember ...
All this settings wont work anyhow, completely broken those settings (like many others), tested it a while ago, dont think they will ever fix it.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/feature-request-wifi-2-4g-g-n-mode.47393/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/wireless-modes-broken-2g-802-11b-g-n-and-5g-a-n-ac.47783/

I'm on 21140. With Smart Connect OFF, the b/g check box can only be changed/ungreyed for mode 'Legacy'.

OE

It's just a visual issue. That setting does nothing when running in a mode that does not require it.

It's just a visual issue. That setting does nothing when running in a mode that does not require it.
I dont want b-mode (DSSS) devices to slow down my 2G and cant turn it off as only auto mode remaining for g-/n-devices and b-mode included, only want n- and g-mode active.

b/g protection is correct, it will only get involved when the router sees a b-device.
But there is no reason to let b slow down your 2G, most just want to ignore them, irrespective they would hang or whatever will happen to them.

On my Fritz there are the selections g/n-mode only for 2G and ac-mode only on 5G.
And it is correct working on it!!!

Last edited:
The latest firmware 32799 seems much better to me 're wifi stability and my TP Link wifi extender is now working as before. Early days though ...

I had noticed some wifi drop out recently and just updated to 32799 too. Was that a known issue?

After updating to 32797 (I did NOT, as has been recommended, reset the router and reset/re-add the nodes) I had two experiences within a week of the router RT-AC86U just turning off: no internet access of any kind from either the router or the two nodes; checking the router only the power light was on. A reboot of the router would bring it back. Yesterday I upgraded t0 32799, using the recommended method. Reset the router, reset both nodes, set up the router, added each node back. I hope this will prove more stable. The earlier firmware, 21140, was stable.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online