What's new

Asus RT AC86U Merlin firmware Openvpn settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bhishan Kayastha

New Around Here
Hi Guys,

I am new here. I recently bought Asus RT AC86U. I haven’t installed Merlin firmware yet but planning to do so. Could anyone please share how to set up OpenVpn client in it for optimal speed ? There are so many settings under Basic and Advanced settings section in Merlin firmware. Can hardware acceleration be used for increasing speed Of openvpn connection or is it activated by default ? My ISP speed is 95Mbps. My Asus router is connected to my ISP provided modem-router TP link VR1600v via LAN to WAN connection setup. I am using appletv to stream Hulu and US netflix basically via VPN. I would really appreciate if anyone could shed some light on this as I am new to this.

Many thanks in Advance.

What VPN provider?

Your AC86 with just basic setup will run a VPN client at 225 - 250 Mbps download. No tweaks needed.

With some/many VPN providers just download the OVPN file they provide upload into router and depending on VPN provider add your name and password. Done.

Once you get it running you can search the internet and this forum for magic custom settings but for the most part the VPN server ignores them and so it is very doubtful you see any speed increase.

What VPN provider?

Your AC86 with just basic setup will run a VPN client at 225 - 250 Mbps download. No tweaks needed.

With some/many VPN providers just download the OVPN file they provide upload into router and depending on VPN provider add your name and password. Done.

Once you get it running you can search the internet and this forum for magic custom settings but for the most part the VPN server ignores them and so it is very doubtful you see any speed increase.

Thanks CaptainSTX for quick reply. My VPN provider is Expressvpn.

@bhishan-kayastha

Make sure to select UDP (instead of TCP) as the protocol for the tunnel, it is best for streaming.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!