What's new

Asus RT-AC86U randomly drops internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AlgonquinWolf

New Around Here
Setup

Router: Asus RT-AC86U Asuswrt-Merlin 384.15 Provider: Teksavvy (over Rogers Cable)

My standard config (has been set up for over 2 years)

Hitron CDA3-20 Modem -> Grandstream ATA HT502 -> RT-AC86U -> Lan Clients (wired computers, wifi enabled computers, wired IOT devices and wifi IOT)

Note: The ATA is set up in bridge mode. The AC86U handles the DHCP assignments for the network. The AC86U has a different WAN IP than the HT502

Issue

My internet frequently and randomly gets disconnected. When that happens the router shows no internet connection. The devices remain connected to the router, but no internet. The ATA stays functional (I can make and receive calls).

Connectivity doesn't come back automatically,I get internet back by either rebooting the router or rebooting the ATA (whens its part of my config) , either seems to work.

Troubleshooting so far

Assuming it was the ATA, I took the ATA out of the picture, so my config was Hitron CDA3-20 Modem -> RT-AC86U -> Lan Clients but I still had the random almost daily drop of internet.

I recently installed Asuswrt Merlin 384.15 hoping that would resolve the issue, but no luck.

I can't seem to find anything abnormal in the router logs, and I can't seem to find any determining factor triggering this drop. I have checked the router usage, memory and temperature, and all are in reasonable limits.

The router power supply is directly plugged into a APC UPS.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Setup

Router: Asus RT-AC86U Asuswrt-Merlin 384.15 Provider: Teksavvy (over Rogers Cable)

My standard config (has been set up for over 2 years)

Hitron CDA3-20 Modem -> Grandstream ATA HT502 -> RT-AC86U -> Lan Clients (wired computers, wifi enabled computers, wired IOT devices and wifi IOT)

Note: The ATA is set up in bridge mode. The AC86U handles the DHCP assignments for the network. The AC86U has a different WAN IP than the HT502

Issue

My internet frequently and randomly gets disconnected. When that happens the router shows no internet connection. The devices remain connected to the router, but no internet. The ATA stays functional (I can make and receive calls).

Connectivity doesn't come back automatically,I get internet back by either rebooting the router or rebooting the ATA (whens its part of my config) , either seems to work.

Troubleshooting so far

Assuming it was the ATA, I took the ATA out of the picture, so my config was Hitron CDA3-20 Modem -> RT-AC86U -> Lan Clients but I still had the random almost daily drop of internet.

I recently installed Asuswrt Merlin 384.15 hoping that would resolve the issue, but no luck.

I can't seem to find anything abnormal in the router logs, and I can't seem to find any determining factor triggering this drop. I have checked the router usage, memory and temperature, and all are in reasonable limits.

The router power supply is directly plugged into a APC UPS.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

This thread belongs under AC routers, yes?

After my 86U recently died, I realized its failing was probably the cause of websites failing to load properly.

I would swap in a spare router to see if removing the 86U removes the issue. And change WAN side cables.

I'd also put that ata behind the router firewall. And you probably know that its 100 Mbps switch is capping your WAN link.

OE

My standard config (has been set up for over 2 years

Maybe it's time to replace that 86U manufactured way before 2019, I said that because it's been noticed that previous batch to 2019 have hardware issues

Maybe it's time to replace that 86U manufactured way before 2019, I said that because it's been noticed that previous batch to 2019 have hardware issues

Yep...my ac86u manuf in 2018 was recently replaced via rma from Asus and received 1 from 2019. Rock solid so far running Merlin 384.12

my is from 2019 and been rock solid for the last 5 months on stock :D:rolleyes:

It is known bug in latest firmware . Big amount of people experience random dc . Tried factory reset and other stuff but it comes from bad firmware so only Asus can fix this but at rate of 1 security fix ( which was forced on all firmware providers its not like asus initiative just they were forced to implement it but they did implement it faster than other brands probably so its + for them in that regard) we wont get it any soon. My rt86u was produced in 2019.