What's new

ASUS RT-AC86U router or another?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Windsor-tg

Occasional Visitor
I am currently with Plusnet Fibre broadband and the current router I have is Plusnet’s supplied router (Hub One) which I find has a poor wireless range. I used to have an ASUS RT-N56U router which became defective earlier this year.

I am looking to replace my current Plusnet router and was considering getting the ASUS RT-AC86U router so that I get a much better, faster and wider wireless performance. Is this a recommended router or is there an alternative one? I do not want to spend anything more than around £130

I am currently with Plusnet Fibre broadband and the current router I have is Plusnet’s supplied router (Hub One) which I find has a poor wireless range. I used to have an ASUS RT-N56U router which became defective earlier this year.

I am looking to replace my current Plusnet router and was considering getting the ASUS RT-AC86U router so that I get a much better, faster and wider wireless performance. Is this a recommended router or is there an alternative one? I do not want to spend anything more than around £130

I suggest you search on this web site's forum as well as looking at the reviews on Amazon then decide for yourself. It is a great router but not for everyone.

The 86U is a price/performance choice. There are reports of WiFi radio failure from some buyers. And, of course, no such reports from other buyers. I've bought and deployed six without incident. I'd buy another one.

OE

Was using the 86U for about a year running Merlin's fw. Very good overall router but not great wireless performance and range IMO. If you're using VPN then it's your router of choice.

I recently switch to the Netgear R7800 because I've heard about it's incredible 5GHz performance and range. While the software is less than desirable and pretty much bare bones compared to Asus stockand Merlins f/w....I don't use VPN, QoS, Traffic monitoring or any other advanced features. I just wanted a wireless router with maximum coverage and fastest 5GHz speeds. With that said, the R7800 blows the 86U away. Even after all these years on the market,it's still ranked as the #1 overall router in the router rankings. Good luck with your choice.

Your price point of 130 euros probably isn't going to get you a new AC86 as this router, at least in the US, sells for the equivalent of 155 euros.

What ever you decide do not try and save some money by purchasing a refurbished or open box unit of the AC86.

I hade a RT-AC86u for 1 1/2 year. Have same problems after reboot not acessebel. At last could connect .No way to reset.
Contact Asus. Received a new one.
This one is working very well for 2 months with Merlin firmware.

I guess some of us got lucky, I purchased my 86U in November of last year used on Ebay for $140 US and have had no problems. It seems that the early production units had some issues. Units manufactured in 2019 seem to have fewer problems. If you can hold out for a bit, black Friday deals are not too far away. If mine dies today I would buy another. My needs are simple and mostly default settings but over all it's been a great router.

Had a RT-AC68 that worked great for years until I upgraded the firmware now the coverage is horrible.