What's new

Asus RT AC86U Vs Asus AX3000 for VPN client as a primary need

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Vimes

Regular Contributor
Hi

I am going to get a refund for my faulty AC86U router.
I can buy a new one of these and as my primary needs are for a fast VPN client support this router has served me well.
But I could have choice of buying, as an example, a AX3000 router but would only consider doing so if it to could be as equally capable at the 86U with a VPN client.
Could anyone please confirm if they are using or know if the AX3000 would be just as capable....?

Merlin's firmware support is a must in making my choice.

I see that the AX3000 is supported...

RT-AX58U
RT-AX3000 (same firmware as RT-AX58U)

Many thanks for any help.

Last edited:
The tri-core 1.5GHz CPU with no built-in AES-NI acceleration is a poor choice when the fastest VPN experience is needed.

The two (only) choices right now with RMerlin support are the RT-AC86U and the RT-AX88U.

The tri-core 1.5GHz CPU with no built-in AES-NI acceleration is a poor choice when the fastest VPN experience is needed.

The two (only) choices right now with RMerlin support are the RT-AC86U and the RT-AX88U.

Thanks, appreciate your prompt reply.

I did not know that the AX300 does not have the hardware acceleration support, as the 86U does, for my VPN client needs.

I did not include the AX88U router, but thanks for noting it, due to its cost. If I do consider that one as being a contender I will need to decide if what it offers is going to be of value beyond what I can get with another AC86U.

Would I be right in assuming then that it does have built in AES-NI acceleration in hardware, think that you confirmed that along with the 86U....?

As you know thankfully it does have Merlin support.

Thanks again for your reply.

Last edited:
Yes, the RT-AC86U and the RT-AX88U are identical with AES-NI support, but it is not technically 'hardware acceleration' though. :)

I'll be fine with "support".

Thanks for the clarification.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!