What's new

Asus RT-AC86U vs Netgear R7800 Wired & Wireless test

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Do you agree with Test results

• Total voters

Sachb

Here is a test showing the comparison between the Asus RT-AC86U and the Netgear R7800 routers. Wired & Wifi test was performed.

Wired Speed test

Wifi speed test (5Ghz @ 80 Mhz)

Test condition:

• Both routers were in the same room and in access point mode​
  • Wired client: Asus K571 connected via CAT5E on both routers during the test respectively with 1 Gbps Link speed​
  • Wireless client: Sony Xperia 5ii (Supports wifi 5 & wifi 6) with a link speed of 867 Mbps​
Share your thoughts below.

um...

wired R7800 is about 30Mbps faster

wireless is bit less of difference.. AC86U is 601 vs R7800 at 615.

No doubt the R7800 is a great router (with Voxels firmware) and many of us are using it. For your use case for that far room off the extender you could pick up another 7800 used fairly cheap ... I would be hard pressed thought to purchase any new Netgear routers as their support is not there is you have a problem past 90 days (although you could pay for it ).

um...

wired R7800 is about 30Mbps faster

wireless is bit less of difference.. AC86U is 601 vs R7800 at 615.

No doubt the R7800 is a great router (with Voxels firmware) and many of us are using it. For your use case for that far room off the extender you could pick up another 7800 used fairly cheap ... I would be hard pressed thought to purchase any new Netgear routers as their support is not there is you have a problem past 90 days (although you could pay for it ).
Oh forgot to add this, Asus was on the latest Merlin Firmware and Netgear on the stock firmware

I've never seen Asus reaching 700 Mbps, on top of that the Asus speed your seeing is there but drops to 280 Mbps or lower. I guess this is due to DFS channel or maybe my Asus router is a lemon.

Oh yeah, also I bought the Netgear RAX80 router.

Good luck with the RAX80. Last NG firmware update on that was 6 months ago.
If it works great but if not not much support out there.

Good luck with the RAX80. Last NG firmware update on that was 6 months ago.
If it works great but if not not much support out there.
It works fine, there are few minor bugs on it tho.

1) UPnP is broken on the latest firmware 1.0.5.132

2) Changing the preamble mode to short is not working on 5Ghz

3) idk if this is actually a bug but when speed on the router is set to 4800 Mbps on 5Ghz the range is terrible, changing it to 2400 Mbps fixes this problem.

Therein lies your problem with NetGear... if you just purchased the router and are withing 90 days open a support case for those problems now... because they won't get fixed otherwise... you have to hope someone else that just purchased it reports the issue in his/her 90 day timeframe has patience and effort to work with them.

After 90 days you can't even report a bug... you can gripe about it in the NetGear communities where the Netgear folks probably look but don't participate. Issue reported there are ignored by NetGear.

I've worked with NG support before and was able to get a minor bug fixed on the 7800 firmware but a major bug (5Ghz doesn't work) went unfixed for over 3 months..working with them on that ..they though it was my personal problem or router despite many on the community forum reporting it.

The only reason I went with Netgear is because of stable Wifi, as I do backups to the USB attached to the Router. The Dlink DAP 1860 Wifi extender disconnected a few times, causing the backup to fail, but I've upgraded the firmware on it and also performed a reset so let's see if the extender disconnects. If it disconnects, I'll ditch it and buy an EAX80 Wifi Extender to compliment the RAX80. Perfect combo.

Asus for me doesn't work in my setup, it may work well if I'm using it as my main router, but speed dropping to 280 Mbps is not acceptable.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!