What's new

ASUS RT-AC87 Firmware - Official Releases

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Uuuhm, classification seems at least to work fine here tough I would have preferred the URL/Aiprotection to work instead :).
This is only after having reset to factory defaults with the latest official firmware in fact before it was all "general" as you report.

Hi,

Works fine here to. The only thing that not working very well is the Traffic Manager - Traffic Monitor. - Daily
It seems to me that is not counting correctly. My AC87U has been running now for over 2 days and has been used heavily, lot of streaming and gaming and downloading and the traffic monitor on shows 0.01GB traffic :)
I have enabled all the trend micro features AiProtection and Adaptive QoS.

It also has been reported that the Malicious Sites Blocking is broken.
Not tested that yet. (it's enable)

Everything else seems to work good so far.

For me this manifests as all traffic no longer being classified by the engine, and all coming up as "General".

I started to see this earlier this week on the .50 Merlin release on my AC87R. It was classifying just fine. I did the beta update this morning and still all my traffic is showing general. I agree there is probably something a miss in the Trend Micro definition file.

Last edited:
it is not the same file
there is a difference between the 16-2-15 and the 25-2-15 file
do a file compare and you will see a difference

The firmware dated 25 Feb 2015 is actually for the RT-AC87R and a "beyond compare" binary comparison shows may differences between this file and the RT-AC87U firmware dated the 16 Feb 2015. I was under the impression that 'U' and 'R' versions were the same?

RT-AC87R and RT-AC87U are the same

the header on the side say RT-AC87R but the file is named RT-AC87U

Ah, sorry ... we are not talking about the same U but R. Obviously there are differences due to R/U coding. But I bet that the same problems will be there in terms of broken components. Just test it...

ASUS acknowledged firmware problems
May I ask if your setup has been stable since?

Also, has anyone been able to successfully circumvent the dual RT-AC87U/AP crash issue yet - without the use of a baseball bat (or a hockey stick, if you're Canadian)?

Ah, sorry ... we are not talking about the same U but R. Obviously there are differences due to R/U coding. But I bet that the same problems will be there in terms of broken components. Just test it...

I don't know how often we will have to repeat this before people start believing us... There are no difference between the two models. It's the exact, 100% same binary code. There isn't even any reference to an R model in the firmware source code. The reason for the binary differences is probably just because it was recompiled, so datestamps inside the firmware image will be different.

I started to see this earlier this week on the .50 Merlin release on my AC87R. It was classifying just fine. I did the beta update this morning and still all my traffic is showing general. I agree there is probably something a miss in the Trend Micro definition file.

Same for me, running the .50 build, classification was working, enabled QoS and the classification started to classify everything as general. I tried turning QoS off, but no luck. I bit the bullet last night and resorted to factory settings and the classification started working again. Then I saw the beta release and decided to update tp the beta and everything reverted to general again. I think I'm going to wait until the final version of .51 before doing a factory reset.

BTW: Love the new wireless page!!

I don't know how often we will have to repeat this before people start believing us... There are no difference between the two models. It's the exact, 100% same binary code. There isn't even any reference to an R model in the firmware source code. The reason for the binary differences is probably just because it was recompiled, so datestamps inside the firmware image will be different.
That what I thought but users keep insisting about different components... than the only reasons could have been the U/R... but clearly it's not :)

Same for me, running the .50 build, classification was working, enabled QoS and the classification started to classify everything as general. I tried turning QoS off, but no luck. I bit the bullet last night and resorted to factory settings and the classification started working again. Then I saw the beta release and decided to update tp the beta and everything reverted to general again. I think I'm going to wait until the final version of .51 before doing a factory reset.
Yes, classification works fine with the latest official version of the firmware. With the previous version of the firmware (3885) it was inconsistent. Worked sometimes... could not pin point what was the issue. Too bad that the current firmware broke completely the AiProtection for malware!

So I am still having issues with the latest release. My iPhone 6 still has connection problems and the internet will just randomly stop working even though the 5GHz network is connected. Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas?

Also I noticed on the front of my router, the 5GHz light has a steady blink to it. I got Amazon to send me a new router, hopefully the swap out of hardware should help.

Last edited:
So I am still having issues with the latest release. My iPhone 6 still has connection problems and the internet will just randomly stop working even though the 5GHz network is connected. Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas?
A significant number of iOS users are reporting the same issue. I don't think we know for certain if it's the new quantenna driver or the iOS drivers. Ios 8.2 should be arriving sometime in the next 2 weeks, fingers crossed.

Also I noticed on the front of my router, the 5GHz light has a steady blink to it. I got Amazon to send me a new router, hopefully the swap out of hardware should help.
Seems normal, the 2.4ghz light blinks quickly while the 5ghz has a relatively steady but slower blink when that radio is actively transferring data. At least that's the way it is on mine and one of my friends.

Seems normal, the 2.4ghz light blinks quickly while the 5ghz has a relatively steady but slower blink when that radio is actively transferring data. At least that's the way it is on mine and one of my friends.
yes, perfectly normal and by design.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!