What's new

ASUS RT-AC87U 3.0.0.4_378_7449 Unofficial Beta Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

with this firmware i got super long list of NTP times updates even more than before, also this firmware keep waking up my Synology Nas' es

with this firmware i got super long list of NTP times updates even more than before, also this firmware keep waking up my Synology Nas' es
It's not reaching it or what messages are you receiving? cause it's not my case and I have tried with the default one and one I choosed close to me.
About the NAS in this version is not waking up mine, unless I have any PC on, checking the mapped drives.

Replied through Tapatalk

Have you updated your Synology lately?
Synology released a bugfix for 5.2 to allow the NAS to got to sleep (it was related to CIFS shares), it was released 1-2 months ago.

using this firmware 2 days, although there's no release note, but i am surprised this firmware's 5G is more stable than any previous versions, didn't found randomly loss internet. i have no time to test other aspects, but the 5G performance of this firmware really let me see the hope~
are the 2.4GHz issues that keep being mentioned since the last couple of beta releases gone? I'm personally using Merlin's firmware and there, people also keep complaining about 2.4GHz instability which they haven't experienced before. I've however not had any problems with that myself so far, but I'm only using the 2.4GHz on my phone and my router is scheduled to reboot every night.

Would be too bad if 5G is finally stable and 2.4GHz - which always had been - is now suddenly less reliable than before...

It's not reaching it or what messages are you receiving? cause it's not my case and I have tried with the default one and one I choosed close to me.
About the NAS in this version is not waking up mine, unless I have any PC on, checking the mapped drives.

Replied through Tapatalk
i live in the US, and i use the default -8 one, you're in Argentina so i don't know.

Have you updated your Synology lately?
Synology released a bugfix for 5.2 to allow the NAS to got to sleep (it was related to CIFS shares), it was released 1-2 months ago.
yes, i updates all my synology the moment they pushed out, and i been using all the beta recently,i didn't have this issue till this firmware.

are the 2.4GHz issues that keep being mentioned since the last couple of beta releases gone? I'm personally using Merlin's firmware and there, people also keep complaining about 2.4GHz instability which they haven't experienced before. I've however not had any problems with that myself so far, but I'm only using the 2.4GHz on my phone and my router is scheduled to reboot every night.

Would be too bad if 5G is finally stable and 2.4GHz - which always had been - is now suddenly less reliable than before...
my home have 2 devices use 2.4G band, one notebook and one andriod phone, in my case, they always stable so far. i remember 87u 's 2.4GHz band use same SOC with 68u's 2.4GHz, BCM4360? i think BCM's driver is more stable than Quantenna, it seems that few people complain about 68u's 2.4GHz and 5GHz band.

about 87u's 5GHz band, my home have 3 apple devices which always use 5GHz band, their connection have never been stable, really very bad. but even so, there are still a lot of guys say their 5GHz has been very stable, but we can say they are wrong? i don't think so. because the client devices used by everyone is not the same, also their environment is not the same, etc. so we will have different results...

I don't have the release notes for that specific build, but I can tell you what's a work-in-progress in it, and is actually working in 378_7516 (at least for what I tested)

- Bandwith Limiter (it's already there in 7449, dunno if it's fully working yet)
- Ability to use AiCloud even if you have a private IP (probably means CGNAT/double NAT? Didn't test it personally)
- A revamped Networkmap, from where you can block Internet access, configure MAC access list, etc...
- MAC filter lists separate for guest and regular clients
- Presets for Adaptive QoS, toggleable from the front page

So if you want to experiment with these, check the pages related to what I listed here.

Those recent betas also included an updated version of the Tuxera NTFS/FAT/HFS+ driver.

There's probably a lot of other changes underneath, mostly bugfixes and tweaks, but I don't have any changelog for these, nor the GPL code to look at.

Traditionally, I've seen Asus release "major" updates to Asuswrt during the summer. Looks like this is what we'll get this year - and I know they got more on the way. This would also explain why we see so many betas these past few weeks - and not just for the RT-AC87U.

I think that we already got one major re-write of the Quantenna driver for 5GHz back in the spring, is it that there is still another one coming from what I've read over at hardware zone?

I think that we already got one major re-write of the Quantenna driver for 5GHz back in the spring, is it that there is still another one coming from what I've read over at hardware zone?

Not sure if that's actually a rewrite, but the latest beta is based on v37.3.0.43 (previous non-beta 4850 was v36.something)

Merlin, is there an easy way to turn on the traffic analyzer statistic page with these beta firmwares for the AC87U?

Merlin, is there an easy way to turn on the traffic analyzer statistic page with these beta firmwares for the AC87U?

The Traffic Analyzer is not included at all in the AC87U firmware, it's exclusive to the RT-AC3200.

I'm getting an issue that I've been also getting with the last few betas. Both 2.4GHz and 5GHz work fine for a day or two, then eventually stop working properly. Windows says it's unable to connect to the 5GHz network, and the 2.4GHz becomes unstable on some laptops (this is with multiple laptops with different WiFi cards). A reboot fixes the issues, however this is getting pretty tedious.

I tried using a specific channel for both bands and turning beamforming off, however that didn't solve the issues. Is anybody else experiencing this?

With the latest beta I noticed the following issue.
My AC87u acts as the main router and my AC68U as a repeater.
After a while (couple of hours) the clients connected to repeater don't get a IP address assigned through DHCP (of the AC87u).
Only a reboots helps. Anyone else experiencing this issue?
With older (official) versions of the AC87U firmware I never experienced this issue.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!