What's new

ASUS RT-AC87U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.4608 - Just released!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hey is any anyone noticing that on the 5Ghz radio the g band keeps popping up? I have seen this on the inssider tool to monitor my wifi interference. This is after the upgrade to 4608. I did the GUI reset after the upgrade, but this seems a bit weird. I'll keep watch and see if anything changes.

Hello,

Yes using insidder 4.2 I see n,g,ac fluctuating but mostly n,ac. What I also see is sometimes no security padlock, ie unknown and other times it has the padlock and identifies the security I have. One other thing that fluctuates is the SSID name. I have the router configured not to broadcast it. Yet at times its displayed and other times its not.

On 2.4 SSID never shows and security always has the padlock.

Then explain this:

"i restore to default on the GUI, then put router to recovery mode and flashed this new firmware, after that on both bands stating beaming forming on by default."

CC

I just flashed this release and reset to factory defaults. Beamforming is disabled on both radios.

Hey guys quick question. Under Adaptive QOS, how can you clear the color codes you have given your devices??? In other words, red, orange, yellow, etc,etc, I have assigned highest to a few devices and I just want to make every thing how it was before I assigned priorty to my devices. is there away to do this???

Thanks for your help guys.

Hello,

Yes using insidder 4.2 I see n,g,ac fluctuating but mostly n,ac. What I also see is sometimes no security padlock, ie unknown and other times it has the padlock and identifies the security I have. One other thing that fluctuates is the SSID name. I have the router configured not to broadcast it. Yet at times its displayed and other times its not.

Yeah I just tried that and you are absolutely right. Wonder why no one else has reported this. May be its a bug on the inssider software...

Hey guys quick question. Under Adaptive QOS, how can you clear the color codes you have given your devices??? In other words, red, orange, yellow, etc,etc, I have assigned highest to a few devices and I just want to make every thing how it was before I assigned priorty to my devices. is there away to do this???

Thanks for your help guys.

There used to be an "Empty" dropper you could use to clear assigned values. For some odd reason Asus removed it a few months ago (I re-added it to my firmware since then).

So short answer: you can't.

I think if you drag the red, green, yellow boxes and drop them above the table on high low middel priority it will loose color...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just flashed this release and reset to factory defaults. Beamforming is disabled on both radios.

Just did same thing and yes its disabled. Did you leave it disabled? No info from Asus
on this.............

CC

Just did same thing and yes its disabled. Did you leave it disabled? No info from Asus
on this.............

CC

I left it disabled, yeah. The general consensus from the beta's feedback is that 5GHz had less issues with it disabled. I haven't had time to put the radios through their paces yet so I'll probably do a bit of testing with it on and off to see if there's a difference.

Installed 4608 this morning, hard reboot, put back my settings, soft reboot. Beam forming was off by default for both bands,
i manually enabled for both. Did a net speed test, checked a number of hard wired, 2.4, and 5 devices. All working good so far
(knock on wood).
BTW, i always take screen shots of pages I've changed before doing a hard reset, makes reinit much easier/faster.

24 hours since i have this firmware... so far so good...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thats an already know and old issue on ALL FW versions when using SSID HIDE option, the wireless signal drops ~10dBm and theres a high variation signal.

That was reported to ASUS almost half year now, still not fixed:

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/bug-asus-routers-hide-ssid-option.21147/

Hello,

Thats an already know and old issue on ALL FW versions when using SSID HIDE option, the wireless signal drops ~10dBm and theres a high variation signal.

That was reported to ASUS almost half year now, still not fixed:

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/bug-asus-routers-hide-ssid-option.21147/

Hello,

I read that you are referring to the SSID appear and disappear. What about the security padlock appearing and disappearing? I did not read that in the post you referenced. Maybe I missed it. I hope its not really fluctuating between secured and unsecured. Or maybe this is just an issue with Insidder.

No, im not talking about SSID appear and disappear, probably that an issue of your application (InSSIDer 4), ive noticed the same thing on it, probably the security pad is also related, what im talking about is the 10dBm signal drop after turning SSID HIDE option enabled and a high signal variation also, up / down.

Ive noticed a bunch of weird behaviours on InSSIDer 4 version, i dont use it and dont trust it, all others have the same normal behaviour:

Wi-Fi Analytics Tool (inSSIDer 2.1)
InSSIDer 2
Ekahau Site Survey

No, im not talking about SSID appear and disappear, probably that an issue of your application (InSSIDer 4), ive noticed the same thing on it, probably the security pad is also related, what im talking about is the 10dBm signal drop after turning SSID HIDE option enabled and a high signal variation also, up / down.

Ive noticed a bunch of weird behaviours on InSSIDer 4 version, i dont use it and dont trust it, all others have the same normal behaviour:

Wi-Fi Analytics Tool (inSSIDer 2.1)
InSSIDer 2
Ekahau Site Survey

Oh I see. However inSSIDer pulls information straight form the internal wireless card or external wireless adapter and displays it to you. For me I go with the phrase "Trust but verify".

Anyways this deviates from my post as well as the post I responded to and the OP to this thread.

Hey guys, I want to up date to either this new FW or merlin's most recent verison FW. I just replaced the AC87R with another AC87R from bestbuy, so its pretty much a few days old. Do I really need to do a clean install of either FW, Its just a pain in the butt to redo everything again, what would you guys recommend? I am using FW 3.0.0.4.378_4376

Thanks for the help guys.

Hey guys, I want to up date to either this new FW or merlin's most recent verison FW. I just replaced the AC87R with another AC87R from bestbuy, so its pretty much a few days old. Do I really need to do a clean install of either FW, Its just a pain in the butt to redo everything again, what would you guys recommend? I am using FW 3.0.0.4.378_4376

Thanks for the help guys.

New drivers you need a clean install with a factory reset after install, then manually putting in your settings.

CC

I upgraded to this version today.
So far all is working - EXCEPT the Bandwidth monitor is even MORE USELESS than before.
It now utterly and completely does not work.
It is almost like it wants you to refresh the browser page just to get snapshot of what's going on.
Honestly, if Tomato can get it right, why can't Asus ?

In any event, apart from that everything else seems to be working fine.

I upgraded to this version today.
So far all is working - EXCEPT the Bandwidth monitor is even MORE USELESS than before.
It now utterly and completely does not work.
It is almost like it wants you to refresh the browser page just to get snapshot of what's going on.
Honestly, if Tomato can get it right, why can't Asus ?

In any event, apart from that everything else seems to be working fine.

Is hardware acceleration (CTF/FA) enabled? If so, the traffic bypasses much of the usual Linux network stack and therefore can't be measured. Tomato doesn't support the bcm_nat module which makes this possible, so traffic reporting remains possible there. You can disable hardware acceleration which should make the traffic monitor accurate.

I was using DDWRT then I started to have consistent crashes and disconnects, seems to be related to the 2 TB HD connected into the UBB 3.0 port on the router.

Cleared nvram, flashed the new 4608 Stock Asus firmware via the firmware restoration tool. Cleared nvram again, manually put in all my setting including the 13 static ip reservations. It has been running perfectly now for 2 days. Wireless transfers from the HD are like lightening. No disconnects period. Netflix streams to Oppo 103 (2.4 ghz) perfect. (On every other firmware including DDWRT there was always a point where the show got choppy and then would be ok) Just watched 3 consecutive shows perfectly. Also noticed signal strength to the Oppo is 100% ( this is 3 walls and 30 feet away) Same setup the DDWRT was at 82%. Previous stock Asus highest ever was 86%.

No loop back in log. IPV6 - 6 to 4 tunnel perfect. Everything is running smoothly. Asus did a great job in this release, Yes I did enable beam forming on both bands. Wifes MBP connects at 988 from 25 feet and 2 walls away. Band strength in this release is outstanding. I am done switching firmwares every other night.
3.0.0.4.378.4608 is where I stay.

Defran1 take my advice. Do the proper nvram clear, install from the firmware restoration tool, clean nvram again. Manually put in your settings and go.

CC

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!