What's new

ASUS RT-AC88U 5GHz network connection drops after a few minutes, does not recover

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This is how many manufacturers can amass a large cache of returned routers that end up being reflashed/restored with the latest stable firmware before being determined to be working perfectly and usually they are. These are either returned to the original customer as repaired or labeled as factory furbished and used as replacement routers. Sometimes there are hardware related manufacturing problems but even a wide scale hardware related issues can often be fixed with firmware updates.

Major hardware issues due to faulty parts, design problems or manufacturing flaws does happen but you usually know of these issues because most of the users with that same product will eventually report as having problems and then support is able to identify the effected products with model, serial number, manufacturing date, etc..

Last edited:
I had identical problems with my first AC5300. In my case 5G-2 disappeared. No factory restore helped and eventually 5G-1 disappeared too and never came back. Sent it back to ASUS and got a replacement unit. My second AC5300 died almost identically within 3 weeks, but this time it was 2.4G that started to malfunction (on and off, and eventually died completely). I sent it back again and got a refund as I didn't want the third unit that with die within a month... Wanted to buy something older (but reliable) like AC88U, but seeing your problems now and realizing that internals (CPU and chipsets) are almost identical I think it might be some kind of inherent design fault...
Don't forget that your wireless devices are half the equation. It's common for updates or lack of updates from Apple, Google, Samsung, etc. to be related to connection issues. The tiny wireless radios in those devices are mass manufactured to be inexpensive but to support advanced N/AC connections with the standard N/AC routers and their chipsets. It's a never ending effort requiring driver and firmware updates to make sure everything works. The newer and more complex the device the more likely that it will need updates and adjustments via firmware and drivers.

I would agree with you that this is typically the case. In this case the connection for 5GHz doesn't work at all, even if the only settings changed are the SSID and password.

Interestingly the 5GHz network will sometimes appear in the dropdown list of available networks, but connections to it fail. A couple of screenshots to show you what I mean, click here.

I'm assuming it's a hardware failure. Even with clean, up-to-date software with default config the 5GHz network fails and the 2.4GHz network underperforms.

Attached is a log file after today's restore (including firmware reinstall via ASUS Firmware Restoration utility for Mac), and a log from yesterday before the restore.
try disabling protected management frames and see if it is resolved.

This is nearly identical to what has started happening with my 5300. I also get occasional random reboots. All the SSIDs will show again after reboot, but then the 5Ghz will drop after some random amount of time. It's usually 5G-1.

Ugh. Longtime lurker here. I've been living with a neutered AC87R, 5ghz band disappears frequently, so it's been a 2.4 show. Latest firmware, resets, daily scheduled reboots, but no joy in Quantenna-land. Recently added more wireless clients including video doorbell, wireless security system with cameras, range extender, etc. I was hoping to move up to better ASUS routers so I can use the 5ghz band to spread some of the load. From reading this thread, it looks to be a common problem with their lineup. Looking hard at the Netgear R7800, TP Archer, or Linksys units.

ETA: no sooner than I post this, then I have 48hrs of steady 5ghz connection. 87R soldiers on.

Last edited:
So after multiple firmware restores, updating, etc. we took it to the local support centre and they swapped it out for an identical model. That was sometime mid-last week. So far, so good. Everything is up and fine, blistering fast speeds, no drops on either network.

The replacement router came with an older version of the firmware so I'm going to leave it on that. The last router made it a few weeks before dying it's slow, weird death so don't take this as confirmation that a replacement is necessary.

Asus ended up sending me a "new" router. It is new, not refurbished, but has a much lower serial number then the one I had. I've been using it all day with no issues. Like dotzak I did not update the firmware (if it's not broke...). I am not claiming victory yet; I will wait to see if it lasts more than 2-3 weeks first. I'll update again after that time. Fingers crossed.

Over 1 month now and no issues. Works as advertised and has been very good. Still haven't updated the router firmware and I have no intention of doing so, yet.

Swapping the device was the right choice.

While 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' may be applicable to many things in this life, router firmware is not one of them. There have been many, many fixes on the latest firmware (I don't know how old yours is, of course) and using older firmware when the latest has proven stable (and more secure) for many is not a wise course.

It's been one month now and no issues. I updated to latest firmware. Stable, consistent, and fast. So far I am very happy. I will call this case closed. If anything starts creeping back I'll update on here, but hopefully not!

:D

Funny. I purchased an RT AC3100 last week. Over the first two days I lost the 5Ghz band at least 5 times and it required a reboot to get it back. After a ton of troubleshooting I decided to exchange it for an identical model and haven't had a problem in three days with the new one. Im even getting 300Mbps+ wirelessly. Cheers for a thread that helps me further justify my quick assumption of a hardware problem.

I know this is an old post but I couldn't help to state that almost every router out there does not work on auto channel for 5ghz. I had a linksys do the same to me drop 5ghz. All I did was changed the band to 80hz and voila. The same with asus from a buddy of mine, he changed the channel settings and now 5ghz works all the time. Maybe this is a random thing.

Apologies for resurrecting a very old post but thought this might help others -

been using a ASUS RT-AC88U AC3100 for about 6 months, worked perfectly until the last few FW updates - since then 2.4/5 WIFI and cable networks drop constantly!

tried suggestions above but no difference, so contacted supplier and got a replacement, installed RT-AC88U_382.1_2 again and no difference!

The only thing that seems to have fixed it was installing RT-AC88U_380.68_4 - this, fingers crossed, has so far been stable - in my case, changes since 380.68_4 break my Router bigtime, guess I'm stuck at this version indefinitely unless anyone knows the cause?

EDIT: spoke too soon, back to connections dropping every 5 mins!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
So are the RT-AC88U / RT-AC3100 still reliable to be worth buying?
Upgrading from failed RT-AC66U.
Thanks

So are the RT-AC88U / RT-AC3100 still reliable to be worth buying?
Upgrading from failed RT-AC66U.
Thanks

While the AC88U/AC3100 are better than the AC86U based on their model designation, the AC86U is the better device in my experience.

While the AC88U/AC3100 are better than the AC86U based on their model designation, the AC86U is the better device in my experience.

to be honest mate, I wouldn't go anywhere near this box until someone gets to the bottom of this, maybe it's not the box itself but ASUS doesn't fill you with much confidence when they totally ignore support emails - the saga continues.....

to be honest mate, I wouldn't go anywhere near this box until someone gets to the bottom of this, maybe it's not the box itself but ASUS doesn't fill you with much confidence when they totally ignore support emails - the saga continues.....

Sounds like you have one? With the exception of one hiccup that went away after the upgrade to 384.10007, my RT-AC86U has been perfect. No crashes, no weird log entries, excellent performance.

No more pain, tried so many FM versions and reset to factory settings adnausem, nothing makes any difference so going to attempt to get a refund and put towards a better model.

Any suggestions people? - basic requirements are, VPN Router, 2.4 & 5 ghz Wifi, 8 ethernet ports would be nice - been looking at the ASUS RT-AC5300 which looks good but a bit reluctant to stick with ASUS after appalling ZERO support - budget around £300

thanks in advance

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!