Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

ASUS RT-AC88U Dual WAN in Load Balance

Discussion in 'ASUS Wireless' started by Dan G, Sep 17, 2016.

1. HansoloAU

HansoloAU New Around Here

If 1 of the wans goes down (is actually disconnected from router) then it will reroute everything to the remaining wan.

However you need to be wary because my 2nd wan is a 4g usb dongle and when it runs out of data quota my isp blocks traffic...it is STILL connected though...so router still directs traffic through it but never gets anything back because its being blocked by isp.

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. Gregory Phillips

Gregory Phillips Senior Member

My primary is Comcast cable and my secondary is AT&T VDSL with a 1tb data cap lol.

4. Gregory Phillips

To follow up on our conversation tonight while playing world of warships I was disconnected while in game even though I have the rules set to keep me on the primary WAN. I'll probably just return the router to fail over mode and be done with it, however, web access is very snappy with both enabled.

Adam Siemiginowski likes this.
  5. Adam Siemiginowski

Adam Siemiginowski Occasional Visitor

Have you experimented further with allowing DUAL WAN load-balancing? Are you still running fail-over mode?

I am considering setting up DUAL WAN load-balancing - BUT my business has about 40 client devices (security cameras, streaming devices, business critical printers...) so if they are going to be constantly losing connection due to IP changes - I cannot risk such a setup.

I would assume I could set each item to work on a specific connection - and they would failover if one connection died - but your posts states that as of April that was not functioning.

(On the other hand - my current 100/10mbps max connection is not sufficient and causing critical items to be crowded out of the network.)

6. Gregory Phillips

I'm running dual wan in failover mode, however, speaking solely for my games I lose connectivity when the changeover occurs. I haven't tried using load balancing again since upgrading to the latest firmware and if I do I'll report back if it goes awry.

7. peraburek

peraburek Regular Contributor

8. DickyDck

DickyDck Occasional Visitor

I've recently started playing with the DUAL-WAN using a portable HotSpot as the secondary backup. So here is my issue and maybe you guys will know what I'm doing wrong. I have Xfinity for my primary, running to an Arris cable mode, which then feeds to my AC88U for primary internet. The AC88U acts as my DHCP server. Now in my testing while I have my netgear Mingle hotspot connected to a USB port on the router (it registers and everything) I think there might be an IP Address conflict. Here is what I am thinking... The Arris modem has a public IP, so does the USB Modem/hotspot, no issues there, but the router itself presently has a IP of 192.168.1.1 (default) and I believe so does my Mingle Hotspot which also acts as a DHCP server trying to issue out IPs. So I think there may be a conflict in default gateways between the 2, I'm just not sure how to go about alleviating the issue, since if a client machine happens to get an IP issued from the ASUS, it won't get internet access. Is it just a matter of disabling DHCP on the hotspot and setting the hotspot default IP to something other than 192.168.1.1? For more background, I use the hotspot strictly for this reason, or rather it was obtained strictly for a backup since my home is a "Smart" home and I need internet access for everything that goes one there such as garage doors, locks, and various senors on a home hub system.

9. Gregory Phillips

Yes two devices having the same IP address causes a conflict. I ran into a similar issue with dual wan as the second ISP, AT&T, had the same IP as the default on the RT-AC88U so I changed the range on the uverse device which resolved the issue.

DickyDck likes this.
  10. DickyDck

Thanks for the input, I thought about doing that having it setup like this...

ASUS IP 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Range: 192.168.1.10 - 192.168.1.100

USB Hotspot IP: 192.168.101
    DHCP Range: 192.168.1.111 - 192.168.1.254

But I think my issue would be, that my ASUS Router would still be trying to issue DHCP Leases. wouldn't all the clients on the network need to get an IP from the Hotspot to get a good internet connection? I am trying to figure out how to have the router stop issuing DHCP and the hotspot take over when I lose my primary internet connection. Any suggestions? I wish I could draw it out in a viso to show you :p

11. Gregory Phillips

I've never tried using a usb hotspot before so you might want to get input from the other members who's done this before.:D

DickyDck likes this.
  12. DickyDck

yeah, if it were like your setup with a totally separate ISP provider it would work flawlessly I think. I thought I saw some others in this thread that were using 4g dongles so was hoping they would chime in :)

13. DickyDck

So I think that what I need is an actual USB Dongle and not a hotspot. the USB Donlge modems don't act as DHCP servers, rather if you wanted to use it to share you would plug it into a windows machine and setup internet connection sharing and the PC would be the DHCP Server. Time to find a USB Dongle that works on the FreedomPop network

14. Praveen Reddy

Praveen Reddy New Around Here

Hi all

I'm a NOOB here, so please forgive me if I'm not explaining my scenario correctly.

I'd like to use the Dual WAN capabilities of the RT-AC88u, in failover mode. My primary WAN connection will be used during peak hours (from 7AM until midnight) and my secondary WAN connection will be used during off-peak hours (from midnight until 7AM).

Would a CRON job executed on the RT-AC88u be the best way to go to schedule WAN activation and downtime (if such a thing can be done)? If someone has done this or something similar, can you please tell me how you did it? Sample code from your script(s) would be first prize.

Thanks!

15. SystemF

SystemF Regular Contributor

Go for Asus Merlin, I doubt stock firmware can do what you want. About Dual-WAN, in fail-over mode working perfect for me, but load balance not working at all, tried combined 2 different ISPs (100/100+50/25), and should i get on torrents at least 130-140, but no luck, stuck up to 97-8 Mbps.
    And in Load Balance you can't control upload speed, must be adding routing rules, for torrents for utrorent, irc, and other apps, then configure these apps to work with chosen isp and then begin a painful loop.

16. TelecomDoctor

TelecomDoctor New Around Here

Trying two 5 Meg PPPoE DSL's on ASUS routers (Merlin and stock) Failover seems to work. Merlin would not function in Load Balance mode on a RT-AC56U. Stock on AC1900 loads up and appears to work but nothing every goes over the second connection from the router stat info.

Has anyone had better luck?

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!