What's new

ASUS RT-AC88U Dual WAN in Load Balance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I wanted to chime in here to offer the easy way I figured out to do Dual WAN without all the page timeouts. I was having so many issues with it taking several attempts for a page to load, and I realized that with load balance, the router would hop back and forth between WANs while processing page requests.
Indeed, you came to the same solution like I did. The difference is - there is no need to set rule incoming all-IP ->WAN rule.
The problem is why ASUS does not recognize this as a bug. Will try to contact them once again and attach this thread.

P.S.
192.168.0.2 and 192.168.1.127
You mean 192.168.0.127? :)

Last edited:
I just started to test a T-Mobile Home Internet LTE Gateway as Secondary. Like craigeryjohn and akmes, I opt'd for Load Balance instead of Fail Over mode. I my case, I wanted to use the Routing rules so I could force a Nest Hello doorbell to go out the T-Mobile WAN connection as it has higher upstream bandwidth than my Spectrum connection (>50 mbps vs 10 mbps). I basically came up with the same setup:

LAN > DHCP Server

IP Pool Starting Address: 192.168.1.128
IP Pool Ending Address: 192.168.1.254

WAN > Dual WAN > Routing rules

Source IP: 192.168.1.128/25
Destination IP: all
WAN Unit: Primary

Source IP: 192.168.1.48/28
Destination IP: all
WAN Unit: Secondary

So for the majority of the house, everyone still goes through Primary as normal. To get whatever I want to go out the Secondary, I either set up IP Reservations (in the LAN > DHCP Server > Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list) or just set them statically in the computer's NIC properties.

This way, I can test 3 different types of routing.

IP range:
192.168.1.128 - .254 = Primary WAN
192.168.1.48 - .63 = Secondary WAN
any other IP = Load Balancing

I've noticed so far that for losing the Primary WAN, all the clients will rotate to the Secondary (after 30 seconds or so), but not the other way around. Anything routed to the Secondary basically stays there.

One downside to using Dual WAN Load Balancing is the loss of Adaptive QoS and AIProtection. It looks like they both get switched off when Load Balance mode is used. I'll probably experiment with Fail Over mode for that reason. (It would be fantastic if Merlin or Asus could fix this limitation.)

This setup is a test right now. At least it seems to be working so far.