What's new

ASUS RT-AC88U Feedback, Issues and Reviews. Please Share Yours

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Want to upgrade to AC88 from N66.
My highest priority is adding more GBit-Ports and gaining wireless range.
:rolleyes:
Can anybody please share experience about Wireless Range in comparison other Asus router models?

Thanks Pappl

My range was pretty bad with the 88 even compared to the 3200. I used it for two days and took it back. I'm currently using a netgear r8500. It's range is the best I've ever seen but working with support on random disconnects.

Anyone noticing slow internet after a while of using the router (5 days without a reboot) ?
Or is it my dumb isp ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there any way to force the router to take admin as the user name and admin as the password.

That's how I want it but it doesn't seem to give me the option.

Is there any way to force the router to take admin as the user name and admin as the password.

That's how I want it but it doesn't seem to give me the option.

Asus now enforces a minimum level of security when entering a password. You should NEVER use the default login credentials for any network device. Malware that scan networks will typically try such default login credentials when looking for devices to compromise.

Asus now enforces a minimum level of security when entering a password. You should NEVER use the default login credentials for any network device. Malware that scan networks will typically try such default login credentials when looking for devices to compromise.
You have to be on the network already to even use that though correct? Meaning either my SSID password was already cracked or you're hard wired into my router. I'm just talking about getting into the configuration page for the router.

Anyone noticing slow internet after a while of using the router (5 days without a reboot) ?
Or is it my dumb isp ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting, 5days are way too short to have router slow down. I have Buffalo router, it slows down in like 10 days even in Buffalo WRT firmware, so I have it restart itself every week. I hope Asus AC88U won't have that problem.

You have to be on the network already to even use that though correct? Meaning either my SSID password was already cracked or you're hard wired into my router. I'm just talking about getting into the configuration page for the router.

Visiting a malicious website could be enough to potentially access your router if there was an unpatched crosssite vulnerability.

Just got my AC88U setup and running over the weekend. Must say that the performance improvement over my replaced AC68U is definitely palpable.

I managed to Link Aggregate to my aging Synology 1511+ NAS without a hitch.

I do have a few questions though:

- Is it possible to Link Aggregate (LA) from AC88U to a semi-managed switch (HP Procurve 1810-24G)? I could not seem to get it bonded. LA from my NAS to the switch is not a problem, in fact, that was my trusty setup for the last 3 years.

- What are the further benefits I will get if I manage to get this proposed setup established?
AC88U <==LA==> Switch <==LA==> NAS
Or is this pointless and redundant? And why?

Thanks in advance!

My AC88U has been working really well, but I did have one strange thing happen about 3 days ago. I have about 5 ports manually forwarded to a QNAP NAS. About 3 days ago, the forwarded ports seemed to disappear from the router as seen on the Log -> Ports Forwarded section. The ports really were gone. At the same time, my 2.4Ghz band could not be connected to from various devices in my house. The 5Ghz band was unaffected. I rebooted the router to clear things up, and this issue hasn't reappeared. I did look at the general log and nothing was reported when this occurred. I also haven't had the same issue again. I'll report back if it happens again.

Hi,

I created an account through the router and found myself an expiry date linked with my account.

I thought the WTFAST account is supposed to be a lifetime membership. Not happy about this!

Hi,

I created an account through the router and found myself an expiry date linked with my account.

I thought the WTFAST account is supposed to be a lifetime membership. Not happy about this!

Could be simply to avoid a bunch of unused accounts to fill up their servers as people don't use them. I suspect you can just renew your account at some point.

Might be best to check with the WTFast guys on this, as ultimately it's in their control.

My "experience" has been weird.

After unpacking the box, setting it all up as per instructions...the modem talked to the router, I had 2.4 and 5G wireless available on my iphone/imac, even downloaded the App and that worked too. I couldn't believe how this worked so easily...BUT...

The following day...after the Mac was shutdown and restarted...I can't connect to the Router at all, app can't find it, I haven't changed the cables, and even tried to reset the router back to factory settings and that doesn't even seem to work.

Is it just a simple hold the red reset in for a certain amount of seconds or what? Its really getting frustrating.

Guys, i have an asus ac68u, and i was thinking about upgrading to ac88u. I'm just a bit afraid, since i had problems with the firmware on ac68u. I updated to the lastest asus firmware and for a month, i couldnt connect to the 2.4ghz wifi, only 5ghz. After reading this forum and trying like 5 firmwares, when i downgraded to merlin 378.56_2, it got stable. Is this issue fixed on ac88u? Will i have this problem if i update it in the future?

I've got a router rt-ac88u that suddenly stopped working. First it stopped working the 2.4ghz band. Then, I tried to fix it and did a hard reset on the router and did the setup again and the 5ghz band stopped working also, but I was able to use now the 2.4 on my cellphone. Short story, the 5ghz isn't working, does not appear on any device and the 2.4 only shows on my cellphone and the it's light isn't on. Does anyone knows what to do?

RT-AC88U worked fine for 1 week, until the 2,4GHz band stopped, the band Led also. 5GHz is ok. Firmware is updated. Radio: on. Any clue?

upload_2017-7-22_13-48-9.png
upload_2017-7-22_13-48-28.png
upload_2017-7-22_13-48-48.png

All is active on the RT-AC88 but the channel I see is 0, and the led is off. No signal on 2,4GHz, I tried with Asus firmware, downgraded to previous verison, and also with the last Merlin firmware.
5GHz is ok, LAN cable connecitons are ok, but there is no 2,4GHz band available.

Check your System Log.

Also try a complete electrical reset:

1) Turn off the router
2) Unplug the power
3) Turn it back on to drain any left over power
4) Turn it off
5) Plug it back
6) Turn it back on

View attachment 9903View attachment 9904View attachment 9905View attachment 9903 View attachment 9904 View attachment 9905 View attachment 9903 View attachment 9904 View attachment 9905

All is active on the RT-AC88 but the channel I see is 0, and the led is off. No signal on 2,4GHz, I tried with Asus firmware, downgraded to previous verison, and also with the last Merlin firmware.
5GHz is ok, LAN cable connecitons are ok, but there is no 2,4GHz band available.

This has the exact the same issue with my RT-AC3100,
I hope this would have a fix anytime soon.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!