What's new

ASUS RT-AC88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.382.15850

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Also rolling back to previous 380 release has shown better performance and throughout across the board.
This is why I set the reboot scheduler to a daily cycle which seems to stop the behavior. Allowing it to run for a week solid ensured that it will misbehave at which point I have to completely power down the unit to clear it out.

This is why I set the reboot scheduler to a daily cycle which seems to stop the behavior. Allowing it to run for a week solid ensured that it will misbehave at which point I have to completely power down the unit to clear it out.

Is this really what most of us want to do with this router? I have had a bunch of routers as i'm sure most have in this forum (yourself included). I have never had to constantly reboot any other router. I do not find this acceptable for a router in this price range. Maybe because it's consumer orientated that's acceptable. I understand that you have found a solution that seems to work, but in the end this is a fail in my eyes for Asus.

Well I suspect I am not alone, but I don't reboot this router weekly or montly... all works as it should. If I am alone, I must be lucky ;)

Well I suspect I am not alone, but I don't reboot this router weekly or montly... all works as it should. If I am alone, I must be lucky ;)

Your not alone i have no issues with this firmware been working perfect since the day of install 9/2 No reboots.

Nope just using it for basic router functions. Probably why i have no issues.

Nope just using it for basic router functions. Probably why i have no issues.
I think this may be why we have conflicting reports of what is affecting individuals. All of the AI features and IPV6 are disabled by default. Probably the average user just enters their credentials from the ISP, wireless parameters and that's it. I remember reading somewhere that ASUS updated the AI engine, maybe Merlin can confirm what those changes may have been.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I believe your correct on the updated AI engine. Yeah right now all i need is basic router function behind my ATT Gateway that i have in IP pass mode to the Asus 3100.

I think this may be why we have conflicting reports of what is affecting individuals. All of the AI features and IPV6 are disabled by default. Probably the average user just enters their credentials from the ISP, wireless parameters and that's it. I remember reading somewhere that ASUS updated the AI engine, maybe Merlin can confirm what those changes may have been.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I have AiProtection and IPV6 turned ON with no issues. The Ai features and IPV6 have been OFF on all ASUS firmware as many other features, I don't see the link.

I have AiProtection and IPV6 turned ON with no issues. The Ai features and IPV6 have been OFF on all ASUS firmware as many other features, I don't see the link.
I haven't been running the AiProtection but since you mentioned it I turned mine on as well to see what happens.

I tried to update my AC88 to this latest firmware, then restore to factory default and setup the configuration again. Immediately facing strange issue where when I go browse anything (even the link earlier from this thread) it take me to Router page saying the configuration has been updated and request to refresh the page, sometime the page just failed (if I remember correctly it say the redirect failed).

Seem now every firmware update it getting worse :(. Years back when I use Asus N54 it was flawless no issue, moved to AC87U good for 1.5 years before the wireless gone wacky. Replaced it with AC88, straight away un-useable 2.4G wireless (connected but with constant time out or snail pace speed).
EDIT: 5G wireless also flaky, if we use it quite a bit example streaming on ipad or multiple device using it just for browsing) it will disappear. I had to login to the router to turn off 5G and turn it on again before I can see 5G wifi again.

I will keep this AC88 but I think I want to start looking at other brand, any suggestion router that has 8 port, dual band wireless 2.4 and 5. More importantly a rock solid stable router without all these issue.

I tried to update my AC88 to this latest firmware, then restore to factory default and setup the configuration again. Immediately facing strange issue where when I go browse anything (even the link earlier from this thread) it take me to Router page saying the configuration has been updated and request to refresh the page, sometime the page just failed (if I remember correctly it say the redirect failed).
Have you tried unplugging the unit from power for a few minutes allowing it to completely drain power and clear stray settings? If it continues to behave irregularly and is still under warranty you might consider and RMA.

Have you tried unplugging the unit from power for a few minutes allowing it to completely drain power and clear stray settings? If it continues to behave irregularly and is still under warranty you might consider and RMA.

Yep, tried that as well. unplug for 1 hour I think should be a good measure.
Yep, after all the issues I have been facing since day 1, I think I will return it. At the moment I'm trying to google to find good router with a very rock solid performance and stability.

Yep, tried that as well. unplug for 1 hour I think should be a good measure.
Yep, after all the issues I have been facing since day 1, I think I will return it. At the moment I'm trying to google to find good router with a very rock solid performance and stability.
What hardware version do you have? I've seen some very strange behavior from this unit. I was unable to acquire and retain an IPv6 connection on Comcast Cable until firmware version 380.7378 unless I used Merlin's firmware. On 380.7743 my WAN would just go away dropping internet or the unit would become unresponsive unless you unplugged it allowing it to drain. On this latest version I have to reboot every morning or the GUI will become unresponsive during the day.

What hardware version do you have? I've seen some very strange behavior from this unit. I was unable to acquire and retain an IPv6 connection on Comcast Cable until firmware version 380.7378 unless I used Merlin's firmware. On 380.7743 my WAN would just go away dropping internet or the unit would become unresponsive unless you unplugged it allowing it to drain. On this latest version I have to reboot every morning or the GUI will become unresponsive during the day.

Just checked Hardware version A5 ? it also has written Production 2016 at the back of the router.

Now trying to back one version before the latest (if i remember correctly 380.7743) my 5g wifi very slow. Checking on speedtest i got 6.51Mbps download and 0.97Mbps

Now trying to back one version before the latest (if i remember correctly 380.7743) my 5g wifi very slow. Checking on speedtest i got 6.51Mbps download and 0.97Mbps
Are you running stock firmware? This is what happens to mine. It absolutely kills my download speed and I'm on 300Mb down.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I tried just to test to go back to 380.7266 (the firmware previously I run for several months).
The Wifi back to normal, I got 95.08 and 20.75 Mbps compared to 6.51 / 0.97 Mbps download upload when I use 380.7743.

Has anyone been able to get the 3.0.0.4.382_15850-g7402e99 release working on their RT-AC88U HW Ver. A5?

I have three units and all three have stopped working. None of them have wireless anymore and randomly drop wired connections as well. The CPU's constantly cycle back and forth from 0% to 100% and although on wired connections I seem to an internet connection it always says Check Connection... now.

I tried to follow many of the suggestions here but have had no luck, after the 382 firmware none of them will restore back to any of the 380.XXXX releases.

Thanks for any help.

Capture 01.JPG
Capture 02.JPG
Capture 03.JPG

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!