What's new

ASUS RT-AC88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.382.15850

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fax

Security fixe
- Firmware only allows HTTPS connection when access from WAN and removed http connection.
- Added patch for CVE-2017-9417

Bug fixed
- Improved system stability
- Fixed repeater compatibility issues.
- Fixed 802.1x related issues
- Fixed web history issues.

New features
- Added bandwidth limiter for guest network
- Added wired link rate indication in network map.
- Added two profiles in OpenVPN server: (1)local network only (2) internet and local network

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: 3d335a3aff4ee2385be4c0d5aaaa2e07

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC88U/FW_RT_AC88U_300438215850.ZIP

That changelog doesn't cover even half of it :)

I was gonna say...this is the first 382 release for the AC-88U, isn't it? Seems like there'd be one or two more changes than that. ;)

People with RT-AC3100 should be careful with the new ASUS RT-AC3100 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.382.15850. I have it showing as available for my unit however when flashed it soft bricks my router and I have to do recovery back to previous ASUS RT-AC3100 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.7743. It seems to update as a normal firmware would but once rebooting it seems to hang half way through booting refusing any connections to 192.168.1.1.

Think I'll wait on a few reviews before uploading this version.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, anyone at least with an 3100 ... do not update to this firmware. There is something wrong. I had to call ASUS and do a restore firmware.

That changelog doesn't cover even half of it :)

Yeah, like making your router not work after updating. :/

Have you guys tried doing a factory default reset? I'm a bit surprised Asus doesn't recommend one with this 382 update.

BTW, speaking of which, I've seen hints that the 382 firmware for the RT-AC3200 will upgrade the CFE to increase nvram space to 128 KB (once they release it). That is good news for AC3200 owners. This will most likely require a factory default reset.

Merlin: After updating it prompts for a manual reset, which some will just assume is turning the power switch on and off.

The issue though is that something is going wrong during the update... it finishes faster than normal.

I tried several resets on my own until being forced to use the Restore Utility.

Yep bricked my 3100 tried to recover back to previous but no internet connection. WTF this is stupid how could Asus be so Fuxxx Up... Factory resets of any kind do NOT work. Epic Fail !!

Well i have to work early in the morning so thanks to Asus i have a bricked 3100 to deal with tomorrow and a pissed off family.

Hopefully ASUS fixes it quickly before more people press update. I did speak with support who said they would tell whoever needed to know and hopefully Merlin can also let someone know.

Fortunately, the restore utility does work to get back up and running.

Merlin: After updating it prompts for a manual reset, which some will just assume is turning the power switch on and off.

That message will appear whenever the router fails to complete a reboot, either because it crashed during shutdown (can happen from time to time, especially with some models), or the new firmware fails to boot (which is what seems to be the case here).

Yep bricked my 3100 tried to recover back to previous but no internet connection. WTF this is stupid how could Asus be so Fuxxx Up... Factory resets of any kind do NOT work. Epic Fail !!

Well i have to work early in the morning so thanks to Asus i have a bricked 3100 to deal with tomorrow and a pissed off family.

Fortunately these are easy to fix.

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1000814/

Once in recovery mode, you can either use the tool mentionned in this FAQ, or configure a static IP on your computer, then access your router's IP with a web browser to access the recovery miniweb interface.

You probably know all of it

Not in details, no. Both OpenVPN and networkmap are now closed source for instance, so I have no way of knowing what's changed in them.

One big change is the switch to a completely new Trend Micro engine. I believe it includes a more advanced IPS, among other things. Still, I don't know the details about what was specifically changed in this new engine.

Asus has developed a new notification center for 382, but I don't know if it was enabled in this release, if it's only available on newer models, or if it's still a work-in-progress.

I know that a lot of potential security issues were resolved with 382 (better boundary checks in various places for example).

did 382 push new firmware to the switch maybe that merlin doesnt work with atm?

There's no switch firmware. Try doing a "complete electrical reset" (search the forums with this string for the procedure).

---------
Update:
- boot times getting back to normal (pre 382)
- STP could be sucessfully disabled via SSH (my fault)
---------

So I have upgraded my RT-AC88u (running in AP mode) sucessfully from 380_68 to RT-AC88U_3.0.0.4_382_15850-g7402e99 and here are my observations and my upgrade procedure:

Upgrade procedure:
1) mtd-erase2 nvram (via SSH console)
2) power down
3) flashed 382 through ASUS recovery utility (V2.0)
4) waiting forever .....seeing ethernet link to the RT-AC88u going up and down several times. It took about 3-4 minutes for booting!o_O
5) Option: After seeing the setup wizard in my IE a decided to do another WPS reset and waited another 3-4 minutes:)
6) Finally upgrade done. Now could setup the RT-AC88u without any headache.

Observations:
  • No CFE or bootloader upgrade happened. Still pmon_ver=CFE 7.14.131.1608 (r589038) and bl_version=3.0.0.2
  • wl ver showing newer driver built (which is what I seriously expected!):
    1.363 RC2.0
    wl0: Jul 25 2017 18:51:34 version 10.10.69.69014 (r711914) FWID 01-33625afc

• Still very old BusyBox v1.17.4
  • Asus defaults: ntp default config seems somewhat incorrect concerning the preconfigured settings
  • Asus defaults: airtime fairness enabled per default on 2,4 and 5GHz
  • Asus defaults: MU MIMO still enabled per default on 2,4GHz
  • Asus defaults: now TX Bursting is disabled on 5GHz
  • Asus defaults: no more option to disable STP on page Advanced_SwitchCtrl_Content.asp
  • New: snappier web ui than older 380 builts
  • New: lots(!) of nvram changes in 382 - e.g. now seeing my chip revision (0x3)
  • New: ui setting for enabling/disabling HDD hibernation
  • New: comfortable feedback tab inside web ui for providing feedback directly to ASUS
  • New: changing hostname and workgroup of the RT-AC88u (USB Applications->Samba/Cloud Disk tab) leads to a complete reboot of the router o_O
Final thoughts:
Still have to figure out if 5GHz will be more stable (with 20/40/80) than with older firmware versions (e.g. where I have to set 40MHz channel width on 5GHz).
I seriously recommend that you do a nvram reset (restore factory defaults - not restoring old configuration files) if you plan to use .382! Most changed nvram defaults are regarding the new wireless driver.

HTH
Maghook

Last edited:
---------
Update:
- boot times getting back to normal (pre 382)
- STP could be sucessfully disabled via SSH (my fault)
---------

So I have upgraded my RT-AC88u (running in AP mode) sucessfully from 380_68 to RT-AC88U_3.0.0.4_382_15850-g7402e99 and here are my observations and my upgrade procedure:

Upgrade procedure:
1) mtd-erase2 nvram (via SSH console)
2) power down
3) flashed 382 through ASUS recovery utility (V2.0)
4) waiting forever .....seeing ethernet link to the RT-AC88u going up and down several times. It took about 3-4 minutes for booting!o_O
5) Option: After seeing the setup wizard in my IE a decided to do another WPS reset and waited another 3-4 minutes:)
6) Finally upgrade done. Now could setup the RT-AC88u without any headache.

Observations:
  • No CFE or bootloader upgrade happened. Still pmon_ver=CFE 7.14.131.1608 (r589038) and bl_version=3.0.0.2
  • wl ver showing newer driver built (which is what I seriously expected!):
    1.363 RC2.0
    wl0: Jul 25 2017 18:51:34 version 10.10.69.69014 (r711914) FWID 01-33625afc

• Still very old BusyBox v1.17.4
  • Asus defaults: ntp default config seems somewhat incorrect concerning the preconfigured settings
  • Asus defaults: airtime fairness enabled per default on 2,4 and 5GHz
  • Asus defaults: MU MIMO still enabled per default on 2,4GHz
  • Asus defaults: now TX Bursting is disabled on 5GHz
  • Asus defaults: no more option to disable STP on page Advanced_SwitchCtrl_Content.asp
  • New: snappier web ui than older 380 builts
  • New: lots(!) of nvram changes in 382 - e.g. now seeing my chip revision (0x3)
  • New: ui setting for enabling/disabling HDD hibernation
  • New: comfortable feedback tab inside web ui for providing feedback directly to ASUS
  • New: changing hostname and workgroup of the RT-AC88u (USB Applications->Samba/Cloud Disk tab) leads to a complete reboot of the router o_O
Final thoughts:
Still have to figure out if 5GHz will be more stable (with 20/40/80) than with older firmware versions (e.g. where I have to set 40MHz channel width on 5GHz).
I seriously recommend that you do a nvram reset (restore factory defaults - not restoring old configuration files) if you plan to use .382! Most changed nvram defaults are regarding the new wireless driver.

HTH
Maghook

Thank you very much for your documentation. I have tried your method to no avail though, waited 15 minutes with no change and had to once again use the CFE loader to flash back to last known good version. My roommate came home and noticed there was a firmware update and flashed the RT AC-3100 while I was sleeping lol. Worst thing was that this was offered through the router GUI with the little yellow exclamation point. Hopefully someone at Asus is aware that the RT AC-3100 is totally not playing nice with this update and it really needs to be pulled and revised or they are bound to have many people soft bricking in the coming days.

though its still funky in tools
i have no idea whats going on

I don't see anything abnormal on that Sysinfo page. What are you expecting to see specifically?

m expecting port 5,6,7,8 to say the vlan id, last device seen as <none> not <unknown>

The Realtek switch cannot provide that information, that's why it shows NA and Unknown. This is normal.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!