What's new

Asus RT-AC88U how to clean reset router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rt2016

Regular Contributor
Hi all, hope somebody can help me out.
Actually I do have the newest software version from Merlin in use. #384.15.

What I need to understand, how can I do a complete clean of the router? I did last week a complete reset of the router. But still when connecting via the web the router is reacting really slow.

What I need to know, is there any cache I have to clean? Or what else can I do getting some scratchy software piece out off the router?

regards
rt2016

Hi all, hope somebody can help me out.
Actually I do have the newest software version from Merlin in use. #384.15.

What I need to understand, how can I do a complete clean of the router? I did last week a complete reset of the router. But still when connecting via the web the router is reacting really slow.

What I need to know, is there any cache I have to clean? Or what else can I do getting some scratchy software piece out off the router?

regards
rt2016
Try this Wiki article, about half way down a number of ways.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

Hi L&LD, I did read your tutorial, under point 16 you mention the length of SSID and password. Is the given length the maximum allowed length. I do have a much longer password, might that give problems?

br
rt2016

Yes, it is the maximum allowed length for the router's password and has been shown around these forums to cause problems. The SSID's password can be longer, but why. It's not likely anyone has the time to crack a 16 alphanumeric password on the fly? :)

Please let me place a last question around the topic. I do have 2 SSID one for 2.4 and 1 for 5 Ghz.
Should I then also use 2 different passwords for the SSID or can that be the same?

@rt2016, yes, you can use the same password for the SSIDs, and the router too if you wanted. Assuming they are 16 alphanumeric characters with the above-mentioned attributes (in the link above). :)

@L&LD , where do I find the "Check the 'Initialize all the settings...' box", I have been around but couldn't find anything.

It should be right beside the 'Reset' button in the Firmware Upgrade tab. :)

I honestly can't find it. Please see attached screen dump.

Attachments

• routerfirmware.png
    routerfirmware.png
    242 KB · Views: 284
@rt2016, my apologies! Please look in the Restore/Save/Upload Settings tab instead. :oops:

Hi all, as ASUS is offering the AIProtection is that a useful feature or does anybody see some risks?

I use it in addition to Skynet. When I used it on its own, it reported it had stopped quite a few intrusion attempts.

When used with Skynet, it may not seem to do anything if you look at the AiProtection pages, but that is because Skynet has imported the blocked IP's and is doing the work before AiProtection sees anything. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!