What's new

ASUS RT-AC88U losing LAN Clients

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ruhajrashku

New Around Here
Hi all,
1st post here in the hope someone can assist me with a recurring issue.
The problem is that I am losing hard wired clients connected to mu AC88U. I will try and describe the configuration below.
The AC88U is connected into a VM hub4 that has been configured in modem mode. The router IP address is aligned to the IP address of the hub4 when in modem modem (since doing this speed and stability has been better when compared to having different IP address range).
All wireless clients work without fault. All direct wired clients work fine.
A single port on the AC88U runs to a wall socket. From this an external Cat6 weather proof cable runs down the side of the house and connects into a wall socket downstairs. From this a Cat6 is wired to a Gigabit switch into which are wired clients. All lights on the switch are illuminated showing the correct network connection speed and activity.
The problem is that every so often all wired clients via the switch will not show in the dhcp table. When it works it works well and can go for several weeks and then put of the blue all clients via the switch will not connect to the Internet. They do it show as network devices but the switch is correctly lit and activity is showing.
Connecting a laptop to the switch allows me to successfully ping the router. The same for the socket. I've tested the external cable with a cable tester and all is well. Cables have been replaced with new that are also OK via the lam tester. The switch has been replaced with another that works fine when plugged into another router port. I've even changed the switch for my Ac66u configured on ap mode but the same happens with that.
The same happens is using the latest Asus firmware or the latest Merlin firmware.
I am thinking this is a router issue or perhaps a Virgin Media configuration issue.
Are there any other checks I can do to try and overcome this?
I know that if I hard reset the router and reconfigure is again all will be okay but this in my view should not be required and there is an underlying problem somewhere still to be resolved.
Any guidance and support would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

I am thinking this is a router issue or perhaps a Virgin Media configuration issue.
Are there any other checks I can do to try and overcome this?

The AC88U is known to lose a bank of LAN ports (5-8?). Which port is experiencing trouble? You could try moving the switch cable to one of the other four ports (1-4?).

OE

The AC88U is connected into a VM hub4 that has been configured in modem mode. The router IP address is aligned to the IP address of the hub4 when in modem modem (since doing this speed and stability has been better when compared to having different IP address range).

Something is wrong here. ISP router in modem only mode acts like a bridge. It doesn't have an internal network IP address. May have management access IP only like 192.168.100.1. What's your router's WAN IP address - public or private range?

The problem is that every so often all wired clients via the switch will not show in the dhcp table.

Use ports 1-4 only as @OzarkEdge suggests. Ports 5-8 are on internal Realtek switch, known to fail often on this router model.

The AC88U is known to lose a bank of LAN ports (5-8?). Which port is experiencing trouble? You could try moving the switch cable to one of the other four ports (1-4?).

OE
Hi thanks alot for quick reply. Port 6 is used for the switch. Have just changed to port 2 and voila back online. Thank you very much for that tip. I presume this means my 8 port router is actually a 4 port router. Is this a hardware issue as I would not have expected both firmwares to carry this throigh
Something is wrong here. ISP router in modem only mode acts like a bridge. It doesn't have an internal network IP address. May have management access IP only like 192.168.100.1. What's your router's WAN IP address - public or private range?

Use ports 1-4 only as @OzarkEdge suggests. Ports 5-8 are on internal Realtek switch, known to fail often on this router model.
Thanks again for this. I have read up on the port loss issue and some people are saying that a plug power down reset seems to "reset" the switch. While that is a better position to be in its not ideal. You would expect that with technology nowadays that these sort of issues would not happen but the commercial pressures placed on manufacturers may also mean lower quality components to be used. I selected this model mainly because it was Asus with 3rd Merlin firmware support & an integral 8 port switch. I have contacted Amazon as it's not very old (who don't want to know btw) and made contact with Asus technical support. Well see what happens here but suspect if they replace the router it will have the same switch configuration and possible failure issues.

In terms of the IP address of the VMH4 it changed from 192.168.100.1 in router mode to 192.168.0.1. I found previously that If I changed my Asus to be on the same 192.168.0.x range the speed and stability improved.
Thanks all for help and suggestions so far. I will let you know how Asus respond or even Amazon. Ideally now I would rather have a better 4 port router with a quality separate switch although that will be an interesting set of choices.

In terms of the IP address of the VMH4 it changed from 192.168.100.1 in router mode to 192.168.0.1.

This is not a modem only mode. Your ISP equipment is in modem/router mode and your Asus router is in double NAT.

In terms of the IP address of the VMH4 it changed from 192.168.100.1 in router mode to 192.168.0.1. I found previously that If I changed my Asus to be on the same 192.168.0.x range the speed and stability improved.
Do not use 192.168.0.x for your Asus' LAN IP address range. It has no bearing on speed or stability. Any perceived improvements are either placebo or coincidental. If you use 192.168.0.x it will conflict with the Hub's IP range when the Hub is in router mode (e.g. after it is reset) resulting in a non-functioning network. Use 192.168.1.x to avoid problems.

Last edited:

OE
Hi thanks alot for quick reply. Port 6 is used for the switch. Have just changed to port 2 and voila back online. Thank you very much for that tip. I presume this means my 8 port router is actually a 4 port router. Is this a hardware issue as I would not have expected both firmwares to carry this throigh
This is not a modem only mode. Your ISP equipment is in modem/router mode and your Asus router is in double NAT.
Agreed

Thanks again for this. I have read up on the port loss issue and some people are saying that a plug power down reset seems to "reset" the switch. While that is a better position to be in its not ideal. You would expect that with technology nowadays that these sort of issues would not happen but the commercial pressures placed on manufacturers may also mean lower quality components to be used. I selected this model mainly because it was Asus with 3rd Merlin firmware support & an integral 8 port switch. I have contacted Amazon as it's not very old (who don't want to know btw) and made contact with Asus technical support. Well see what happens here but suspect if they replace the router it will have the same switch configuration and possible failure issues.

Thanks all for help and suggestions so far. I will let you know how Asus respond or even Amazon. Ideally now I would rather have a better 4 port router with a quality separate switch although that will be an interesting set of choices.

I believe you are essentially correct... it's a hardware issue; it might go away for awhile if you play around with it (power cycle/drain), but that's no way to run a network.

Return it to Amazon, if you can (probably too late). RMA it with ASUS, if you want... especially if they pay the shipping.

Otherwise, I would operate within the lower 4 LAN ports (add your own switch?) and make an AC88U succession plan. The newer AX86U has a 5th 2.5 Gbps WAN/LAN configurable port, so 5 LAN ports; and can aggregate the WAN and a LAN port for 2 Gbps; and can bond 2 LAN ports for 2 Gbps... so options there if my understanding and ASUS marketing and firmware all agree.

OE

Hi again. So hot ish off the press. Amazon don't want to know and refer me to Asus. Asus say its a hardware error and to have it replaced by the seller. Around in a loop we go.
Being honest though the router is great other than this (for me anyway). Thanks for the tip on the AX86U. I should have gone traditional with a separate switch but something appealed about a 8 port router. Off to complain to Amazon and hopefully reject the goods and get a refund. Thanks again.

Asus say its a hardware error and to have it replaced by the seller.

Then it must be a new purchase and hopefully you can push it back to Amazon (they should know their reseller agreement with ASUS). If so, this may give you the option to return it for a refund and to purchase a different model, if desired.

BTW, the cable running outside may be a concern... weatherproofing is not enough to shield it from outdoor damage/rodents and lightning (no safety shunt to Earth Ground?). Also, I believe you would want both ends on the same building power earth ground to avoid voltage differences on the neutral lines and associated circulating 'noise' currents. Don't quote me! :)

OE

Last edited:
So interestingly having discussed with Amazon they offered a replacement. Because of what I picked up on this forum I was able to argue that the replacement is highly likely to have the same fault so they have offered me a refund which I can't grumble about at all. Now to source the replacement. Thanks again for the advice and guidance.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!