What's new

Asus RT-AX3000 What does date and time represent in Signature Version

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GoldWing

Regular Contributor
What does the time and date represent in the "Signature Version" under the Administration's tab of "Firmware Upgrade" which are underlined in red in each JPG file for different firmware versions?

See the red line in both attached images that are named below:
1) ScreenShot_After_Dwnld_N_Update_300438649674.jpg
2) ScreenShot_3.0.0.4.386.48908.jpg

Please note the names of the JPG files represent different versions of the firmware, but still have the same time and date. Hence the question above.

Thanks!

GoldWing

Attachments

• ScreenShot_After_Dwnld_N_Update_300438649674.jpg
    ScreenShot_After_Dwnld_N_Update_300438649674.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 129
  • ScreenShot_3.0.0.4.386.48908.jpg
    ScreenShot_3.0.0.4.386.48908.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 113
What does the time and date represent in the "Signature Version" under the Administration's tab of "Firmware Upgrade" which are underlined in red in each JPG file for different firmware versions?

See the red line in both attached images that are named below:
1) ScreenShot_After_Dwnld_N_Update_300438649674.jpg
2) ScreenShot_3.0.0.4.386.48908.jpg

Please note the names of the JPG files represent different versions of the firmware, but still have the same time and date. Hence the question above.

Thanks!

GoldWing
It shows the AI-Protection update version you have available on the router by date of it's release. Usually updated with firmware updates, but if you have had an extended period of router uptime without firmware update, you can update the version manually if the need arises.

If by "AI-Protection update version" you mean Artificial Intelligence since both versions have the same date and time IMHO makes the dates irrelevant or useless within the routers applicaton via a web browser.

Thinking out loud AI per https://www.acronymfinder.com/Artificial-Intelligence-(AI).html

Per Asus's firmware download page for Windows 10 64 bit page:

Unless I'm missing something, I've recently noticed the update dates for firmware for the RT-AC3000 are not included on the webpage per Asus's firmware download page for Windows 10 64 bit page of https://www.asus.com/us/networking-...sus-wifi-routers/rt-ax3000/helpdesk_download/. IIRC with my old Asus RT-AC68U the release dates were INCLUDED on Asus's download page. Apparently no longer for either. Why? I don't know. You'd have to ask Asus.

If you look inside the downloaded zip file from Asus firmware download page I suspect that either the modified date, or creation date, or Access date represents the actual release date. See the attached JPG files for the two releases that I downloaded last night for my newer RT-AX3000 for Windows 10 64bit version which correspond to my 2 JPG files included in my original post. The 2 uploaded images are as follows:

1) Asus_Zip_Version_FW_RT_AX3000_300438649674.w.JPG
2) Asus_Zip_Version_RT_AX3000_combo_3.0.0.4_386_48908-g75dd425_puresqubi.JPG

Interesting note is in image #2 the Modified and Created date are the same with the Accessed date a few seconds later. However within image #1 the Modified date is 12 days before the Creation date with the Creation date and the Accessed date being the same. Yes, inconsistent! Does the inconsistency have real world implications?

IMHO anytime a verification process lacks transparency (i.e. IOW traceability) makes the verification process LESS reliable. With the inconsistent dates within #1 the downloaded zip file IMHO makes the process even LESS reliable.

Your opinions are welcome!

Thanks!

GoldWing

Attachments

• Asus_Zip_Version_FW_RT_AX3000_300438649674.w.JPG
    Asus_Zip_Version_FW_RT_AX3000_300438649674.w.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 74
  • Asus_Zip_Version_RT_AX3000_combo_3.0.0.4_386_48908-g75dd425_puresqubi.JPG
    Asus_Zip_Version_RT_AX3000_combo_3.0.0.4_386_48908-g75dd425_puresqubi.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 63
It's just the signature version of Trend Micro's Network Protection called AiProtection. It usually gets updated once a month or so with malicious websites, etc. The actual router firmware is listed in the AiMesh router tab. So, a newer firmware may still use older Trend Net network protection definition files as they are updated independently. I can see how it is a little confusing since it doesn't explicitly delineate router firmware from AiProtection firmware/signature like it does with this router.

asus-sig-ac86-png.32122

Thanks!

I agree a the interface is a little confusing.

However unless I'm missing something I do not see a date of the actual router's firmware within the router's browser interface anywhere. Nor do I see a date any longer on Asus's support website which I'm relatively certain was available at least with my older Asus RT-AC68U when doing a manual update.

I've historically updated my router's firmware manually in the past, and still do with RT-AC3000. I'm somewhat resistant to having security hardware and / or software updating automatically although this has been the trend for some time. IMHO with automatic updates having a date stamp available in the interface which is traceable to the OEM / Software provider's support website is the more desirable solution.

Thanks!

GoldWing

I agree a the interface is a little confusing.

And getting more interesting. I received an email from my online chat session with Asus's support which suggested to restore the factory settings in the Asus RT-AX3000'S application which I did through the my Firefox browser. This provided some interesting results!

If you look at the attached "ScrnShot_AftrRestrFactryDeflts_n_ChkUpdtBttn_300438649674.jpg" file, you will notice the dating which I originally underlined is now gone. Also now there is only 1 Check Update button under "Firmware Version" on the "Firmware Upgrade" tab in "Administration" under "Advanced Settings" which IMHO is very odd.

I can not understand why the interface has changed. Any ideals?

Your opinions are welcome!

Thanks!

Goldwing

Attachments

• ScrnShot_AftrRestrFactryDeflts_n_ChkUpdtBttn_300438649674.jpg
    ScrnShot_AftrRestrFactryDeflts_n_ChkUpdtBttn_300438649674.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 68
I can not understand why the interface has changed. Any ideals?

After factory reset none of TrendMicro components are enabled by default and nothing needs this signature file. You have to agree to data sharing with TrendMicro before you start using their services. Nothing interesting or unusual happened.

After factory reset none of TrendMicro components are enabled by default and nothing needs this signature file.

Thank You! It makes sense now.

See the "ScrnSht_AftrFactyRestr_AftrAirPtnEnbl_300438649674.jpg" attached file which represents status "Firmware Version" section after resetting the Factory Settings and enabling the AirProtection from TrendMicro which apparently includes TrendMicro's version and dating.

Somewhat interesting that TrendMicro has dating within Asus's browser interface, yet Asus has removed the dating of the firmware on the download page and no dating within their own hardware interface of the firmware the router is currently operating. My 2 cents anyway.

Thanks Again!

GoldWing

Attachments

• ScrnSht_AftrFactyRestr_AftrAirPtnEnbl_300438649674.jpg
    ScrnSht_AftrFactyRestr_AftrAirPtnEnbl_300438649674.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 97

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!