What's new

Asus RT-AX58U Bug Problems Wih Install

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AnnieBody

Regular Contributor
After connecting my Asus RT-AX58U to my new ISP, I made some changes to try it with a second ax capable router used as a WiFi 6 extender.
I had previous success with a non ax Vodafone router and my new ISP Technicolor one is much faster so was hoping for an increase is speed.
(While I am still waiting for the compatible Mini DX4 to become available in black).
The second router was assigned the IP address 192.168.1.2 on the same subnet. The Asus has the IP address 192.168.1.1.
I then tried the AP mode thinking this would better serve my needs; however, I now know this was a wrong move!
Subsequent searching has confirmed this is used when the Asus is the second router, so my internet no longer works, and again this means no GUI access to the router using a browser.
My Asus now appears to be bricked!!!
I then tried to use the AsusTek app on my tablet to access it, but it wouldn't connect to the router.
I tried a reset using the reset button and a hard reset using the WPS button.
Both methods require the app as again there is no default internet connection and no GUI until I can set up my ISP PPPOE details.
When I do this using the AsusTek app for some reason I still cannot connect to the internet.
The app has a restore function but this first requires a backup on tablet where it is installed, which I don't have. Once it is working I then do everything on my PC where I have created a backup.
So, can anyone let me know the default location and naming convention for the backup files for the app so I can copy and paste across to my tablet.
I am hoping this will allow me to restore and get thing running again.

Also, as the default firmware is 3.0.0.4.384.9505, which I believe to be buggy, can I update the firmware to 3.0.0.4.386.42095 using the app?

Due to zero response, I trawled through the internet on my phone and found the following worked.
There may be better ways to resolve the obvious software bug, but this worked for me after much trial and error:

How to get back a stuck Asus RT-AX85U router installed with the default supplied firmware 3.0.0.4.384.9505:

Do not try and follow of the ASUS recommended methods. They either have duff software links are out of date or the software doesn't behave the way they describe!

Obtain the router login details from your ISP and any other options you need to set.
As this requirement changes between ISPs no definitive one size fits all instruction can be provided.

Download the firmware upgrade 3.0.0.4.386.42095 (or later version, or Merlin: doesn't work for me, just locks up the router!)
(Follow this guide again if this happens to you too and use the app settings to update firmware previously saved to the WiFi device.)

Install ASUS Device Discovery 1.4.8.2 onto PC.

Install ASUS Router app onto WiFi device (tablet or phone). ASUS don't tell you you need additional equipment in order to set up their routers!

Note: Due to a software bug, it is only possible to access the router functions via the app as with no internet connection, you cannot connect to the PC GUI which you need to do in order to setup the WAN requirements! Classic catch 22! ASUS what were you thinking?

Change your 'Network Connections' for your PC device (Ethernet Network) IPv4 properties to:
Obtain an IP address automatically
Obtain a DNS server address automatically

Connect the router WAN to your internet device and LAN1 to your PC.

Do a router full factory reset by holding down the reset button for a few seconds until the power led flashes. Releasing the button makes the power led turn off and the reset begins. Wait!
Continue, when the Power, 2.4Ghz & 5GHz WiFi, and LAN1 leds are on. The internet led will be red.

At this point the router GUI will no longer be accessible from a desktop search engine nor ASUS Device Discovery!

On the WiFi device connect to the router default WiFi 'ASUS_98' (no password is required) then follow the app instructions:

Open 'ASUS Router' app on WiFi device.
Home | Status, will indicate 'Please sign in again'
Click '+'
Select 'Setup up a new router'
Select 'ASUS wireless router'
Select the (Connected) option.
Select 'Start'
Select 'PPPOE' [your options may differ to mine so adjust as required]
Enter Username: [previously obtained from ISP]
Enter Password: [previously obtained from ISP]
Click 'Next'
No special requirement, so click 'Next' [your options may differ to mine so adjust as required]
Uncheck 'Separate 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz'
Leave 'Network Name (SSID) as 'ASUS_98'
Enter 'Network Key': [your preferred WiFi password]
Click 'Next'
At 'Configure Login' enter 'New Password' and 'Confirm New Password': [your login password cannot be changed without another factory reset, so be careful what you use]
Click 'Next'
Wait!
At 'ASUS Notice' click 'I agree' (you have no choice!)
At 'Enable Remote Connection' click 'OK'
At 'ASUS Notice' click 'I agree' (you have no choice!)
Wait!
You will then see a dynamic 'Real-time traffic' screen
The default LAN IP is displayed : 192.168.50.1
The WAN Type is displayed: PPPOE [or whatever you have used]
The internet led is still red.
You can now sign into the GUI using the default IP address and the password used above.

NOW:
UPDATE FIRMWARE to 3.0.0.4.386.42095
Adminstration | Firmware Upgrade

After the firmware update I noticed the WAN information previously provided was missing, so I entered the information again using the GUI then 'apply' , and the internet led changed to white. I am finally connected again, and so simply too! Thanks ASUS!
All I have to do now is find out why my previous saved backup has not saved the device changes and fixed IP adrress(s) I made and why my intranet devices no longer connect to the internet, but that's another problem ASUS apparently want me to solve!
It appears restoring a backup doesn't save and update all your settings!

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!