What's new

Asus RT-AX58U IPv6 Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kage

Occasional Visitor
When I enable IPv6 on my RT-AX58U, the following apps take a long time to load: Apple Music and Apple TV app on the these devices: my iPhone 12, MacBook Air M1 and my Apple TV 4k. However when I disable IPv6 there’s no slow down on these apps and devices. I’m using the latest stock firmware and the same thing happens with the Merlin firmware. How can I solve this slowness issue with IPv6?

I noticed this as well. So i turned it off. And there are no speed issues anymore. But my devices (iPhones by example) still remembers the used ipv6 address. How can I get rid off them? Some devices you can disable ipv6 (Linux, Windows), but Apple not. Is there a way that all ip adresses will be reset?

I noticed this as well. So i turned it off. And there are no speed issues anymore. But my devices (iPhones by example) still remembers the used ipv6 address. How can I get rid off them? Some devices you can disable ipv6 (Linux, Windows), but Apple not. Is there a way that all ip adresses will be reset?
I have exactly the same Problem with my DSL-AX82U (386.03_2-gnuton5)

IPv6 is disabled, but all devices get IPv4 and IPv6

This is a modem router.
Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 11.04.45.png

Any other Idea?

Again, what you see on devices is link-local IPv6 addresses, and it has nothing to do with whether IPv6 is enabled or disabled on your, how you call it, "modem". If your device supports IPv6, you will get this address regardless of whether the network you are connected to supports IPv6. Link-local IPv6 addresses are inferred from the NIC’s MAC addresses. Are you banned from Google or what? Stop wasting other people's time.

Last edited:
Again, what you see on devices is link-local IPv6 addresses, and it has nothing to do with whether IPv6 is enabled or disabled on your, how you call it, "modem". If your device supports IPv6, you will get this address regardless of whether the network you are connected to supports IPv6. Link-local IPv6 addresses are inferred from the NIC’s MAC addresses. Are you banned from Google or what? Stop wasting other people's time.

My external IP is IPv4 and internally I have IPv4 and IPv6. I only want to have IPv4 internally and not IPv6.

If I take your time, you are welcome to save the time and do the important things in your life.

Let me rephrase. The fact that you see IPv6 address on your devices doesn't mean that you have IPv6 enabled on your network. From your screenshot it looks like that you do not have IPv6 enabled on you network, so you can just ignore the IPv6 address that is shown on your devices.

Have you rebooted the router (via the GUI) recently?

Have you rebooted the client devices? While the router was off/unplugged?

Have you rebooted the router (via the GUI) recently?

Have you rebooted the client devices? While the router was off/unplugged?

Restarted several times but had no effect.
Yesterday I even reset to factory settings and quickly deactivated IPv6 after the first boot.

All my Apple Devices and my 2x NAS LANs get IPv6 and IPv4. :(

If you factory reset the router and IPv6 was on, I don't believe you actually reset the router. (??).

Are you importing old backup config files, rather than minimally and manually configuring the router to secure it and connect to your ISP?

This should reset the router fully (but it doesn't always).

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

If the above doesn't work (I would do it at least a couple of times in a row first...), then this should fully reset it if the hardware is functioning normally.

Fully Reset Router and Network

If the above doesn't work also, then you may need to reset the network settings on all your client devices and/or also use new (never before seen by any of your client devices) SSIDs domains, etc.

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

The following may be useful too.

Almost all L&LD Links

Also, can you power down the ISP's equipment (if possible)? If yes, then turn off all your devices too, reset and configure the router (offline) and then power on/connect your client devices one at a time, checking that you're getting expected results.

HTH

If you factory reset the router and IPv6 was on, I don't believe you actually reset the router. (??).

Are you importing old backup config files, rather than minimally and manually configuring the router to secure it and connect to your ISP?

This should reset the router fully (but it doesn't always).

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

If the above doesn't work (I would do it at least a couple of times in a row first...), then this should fully reset it if the hardware is functioning normally.

Fully Reset Router and Network

If the above doesn't work also, then you may need to reset the network settings on all your client devices and/or also use new (never before seen by any of your client devices) SSIDs domains, etc.

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

The following may be useful too.

Almost all L&LD Links

Also, can you power down the ISP's equipment (if possible)? If yes, then turn off all your devices too, reset and configure the router (offline) and then power on/connect your client devices one at a time, checking that you're getting expected results.

HTH
Thank you for Links.
I deliberately did not restore a backup. You have right! I was off and I just double check it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online