What's new

Asus RT-AX58U V1 where to buy these days?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The gt6000 is a nice chunk of hardware for sure. Thing is if an old ac68u is doing the job hard to justify $500 +13% tax. If it had 8 10Gb ports I would pay that lol

Exactly, for your 350/10 Mbps ISP connection and 1,800 SqFt area, the RT-AX68U seems like a perfect fit to me.

Remember, you don't need to buy today. Keep tabs on the sales though and jump when it's in your range.

GT-AX6000 was CAD380 a week ago. I don't think you need it. It's huge and super ugly face hugger. May not pass wife acceptance test. AX86S is vertical design and will replace AC68U perfectly even without need of cables re-arrangement. I had AX86U and AX86S side by side for testing and they perform the same for most tasks. AX86U is better for aggregate traffic with >Gigabit ISP (2.5GbE port), when running more than one VPN client/server (more CPU cores) and when running more custom scripts (more RAM). Routing performance is the same, VPN performance per core is the same (>200Mbps on OpenVPN), Wi-Fi is the same and runs the same firmware. You're not interested in Asuswrt-Merlin and your ISP is 300Mbps - AX86U will be less useful for you. You won't notice any real use difference between AX86U and AX86S. Again - don't go lower than AX86S. Cheaper routers have issues or limitations.

GT-AX6000 was CAD380 a week ago. I don't think you need it. It's huge and super ugly face hugger. May not pass wife acceptance test. AX86S is vertical design and will replace AC68U perfectly even without need of cables re-arrangement. I had AX86U and AX86S side by side for testing and they perform the same for most tasks. AX86U is better for aggregate traffic with >Gigabit ISP (2.5GbE port), when running more than one VPN client/server (more CPU cores) and when running more custom scripts (more RAM). Routing performance is the same, VPN performance per core is the same (>200Mbps on OpenVPN), Wi-Fi is the same and runs the same firmware. You're not interested in Asuswrt-Merlin and your ISP is 300Mbps - AX86U will be less useful for you. You won't notice any real use difference between AX86U and AX86S. Again - don't go lower than AX86S. Cheaper routers have issues or limitations.
Makes sense. Thanks. Wonder when the pro versions will be out?

AX86U Pro will be CAD400 or more and has the same single mostly useless 2.5GbE port. I was thinking to get one and see what it is, but losing interest in Asus routers after the long wait of 388 firmware and the bugs I see in GUI plus the ugly mix of new and old UI design. It's like never ending work in progress with users as beta testers, for years. Good for a hobby, but this is not serious networking equipment in my understanding and expectations.

AX86U Pro will be CAD400 or more and has the same single mostly useless 2.5GbE port. I was thinking to get one and see what it is, but losing interest in Asus routers after the long wait of 388 firmware and the bugs I see in GUI plus the ugly mix of new and old UI design. It's like never ending work in progress with users as beta testers, for years. Good for a hobby, but this is not serious networking equipment in my understanding and expectations.
I was looking at ubiquity and some others. Just mainly want something stable and secure and $300 upper ceiling. Just wish I had more time to learn the stuff better.

The budget is too low. You'll need perhaps 2x access points. If you want AX-class, they start from about CAD150 on sale for AX1800. Network controller (if needed), PoE switch and Router on top. More like CAD600 and above for something good. But I would definitely prefer SMB equipment instead of 2x Asus home routers for the same money. The best price/quality ratio so far is TP-Link Omada. Ubiquiti UniFi comes next. Both very similar performance. Both better than AiMesh and much more configurable.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online