What's new

ASUS RT-Ax68u Firmware with Wireguard support

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ammoofficial

New Around Here
Hi, I’m new to this forum and new to routers. I was wondering whether someone can point me in the right direction to the RT-AX68u wireguard firmware or instructions on how I can install the client on the router.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

Hey @ammoofficial Thanks for the question, it was one of the top results when I searched for my router. After following L&LD's suggestion, I guess there is no way to run wireguard on a 68U. I've seen some news about the 86U but not the "lower" models of ASUS.

I would assume it's related to the CPU demands of wireguard but I'm barely getting any CPU usage as it is, and I think it would be enough to support wg... but no I'm no expert either :p

Hopefully this thread stays alive and someone can post an update here if anything changes for the 68U.

If you don't mind me asking, how does the AX68U perform in comparison to the AC68U? From hardware specs, it appears they're pretty similar with the exception of WiFi 6 support and a few other features..Also curious about the non-removable antennas and the coverage you're getting. Thanks

From hardware specs, it appears they're pretty similar with the exception of WiFi 6 support

AX68U has much faster hardware, but this model has reported connection issues and is not very popular here on SNB Forums.

AX68U has much faster hardware, but this model has reported connection issues and is not very popular here on SNB Forums.

Thanks so much...I'll stick with my hunt for the AX86U/S variant

Yeah, I am learning this now that I've come to the forum. I'd say mine is pretty good during the day and then when it's about time for dinner and a movie, I reboot the router.

So if you don't mind rebooting on a daily basis, it's fine (sarcasm). At the time of my purchase, I was looking for anything branded ASUS because I heard they might be the first to have wg support in their admin panel, and then I selected purely based on budget which ruled out the higher numbers (e.g. 86U).

Which brings me back to the topic of OP, where I'm a little bummed to hear that wg support could finally be coming (or it's here?) but not for this model (or lower). Dang.

I was looking for anything branded ASUS

Not every Asus model is successful. Here is another example:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!