What's new

Asus RT-AX82U vs RT-AX86U for small one bedroom apt 877sq ft.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You've got a wrong impression. Router model with hardware and software issues. If you read more around you'll find multiple dead and overheated AC86Us. A very recent thread is discussing software bug preventing some scripts from running properly. Future proofing with a home router? Your AX86U doesn't seem to be Wi-Fi 6 certified product. Draft Wi-Fi 6 specifications. What did you future proof with it? It's just a good router to use now.
Well, let me help you out here, to understand the position I'm in better. I've used Apple products since the 80's and owned them since the 90's. I have a long history with the company and their products so I know them well enough to not have to ask anyone for help usually. When it comes to other products I have varying degrees of experience. Usually I'll just use something until I can't use it anymore, so because of that, I don't keep up to date with the rest of the industry unless I need to for some reason.

So picking a new router for example, I know what I want in an experience, and features, etc. But I have very little experience to go on from my own to know when someone is wrong or not, unless it's completely bogus info when it comes to general computer and other hardware. I have computer repair training, and I even got A+ certified but that was so long ago, things have changed so fast, much of what I base my info on is true, but it's outdated today, at least a lot of it is.

I created an account here to post, because I had been reading several threads, and it looked like a reputable source.
One other thing, since we're talking wireless routers here, I only use WiFi because I "have to" there are devices I use with no wired options. I'd far prefer to use a completely wired network. However, I know that's never going to be possible, especially for mobile and smart home devices.

Hope this helps. I think we got off on the wrong foot.

P.S. speaking of Draft standards, the 2nd Generation AirPort Extreme was Draft N when I got it back in 2007. Apple certified it with a firmware update. Unless things have really changed, since the current draft WiFi 6 devices already have the hardware, I would think they could certify with a firmware update the same way N was. That's why I had the thought process of being future proof.

Last edited: