What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.42840

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Welcome to the forums @RebelAngel.

Unused RAM is wasted RAM.

Welcome to the forums @RebelAngel.

Unused RAM is wasted RAM.
maybe I'm getting the concept wrong...I thought, that RAM is only "used" when "needed" for a certain task. And if if 97% are being used all the time then there's nothing left once new tasks are about to be carried out.

RAM is used as fully as needed and the least important parts are ready to be purged and used for any new/important task at a moment's notice. Things like caches, for example, can be dropped and recreated.

Seems you are using Merlin firmware not official firmware.
That subforum is here: https://www.snbforums.com/forums/asuswrt-merlin.42/
Isn't the Merlin firmware built off the stock asus core of their firmware. My understanding is Merlin cant or doesn't remove any of the asus core function or code and just adds some extra features.
I tested by rolling back to the official firmware and then decided to change back to merlin since I was running merlin previously on the AC68U. I ran the AX68U with the stock firmware for months making sure the router did not have any issues after purchased. The results with merlin was the same with no speed loss like I experienced on 3.0.0.4.386.42840.

Same here. I'm getting 600mbps down on the speed test within the Asus router app but with the Ookla speed test app on my Apple TV connected directly to the router I'm getting 850-950 down.

Also, not sure if it's my modem or my router but I'm loosing internet for roughly 3min several times a day. This was also happening on the firmware prior to this one so not sure.

Same here. I'm getting 600mbps down on the speed test within the Asus router app but with the Ookla speed test app on my Apple TV connected directly to the router I'm getting 850-950 down.

A little above 600 with the Asus router app.
930-930 from speedtest in a browser window.
Is there anyone who eventually found a solution for this anomaly yet?
Thank you.

Thank you.
I did more speediest and sometimes I'd hit 900-950 but half the time it's 500-600.

I figured out my internet drops. My cable modem kept unplugging every time my son closed a drawer. It was bumping my power strip and hitting the modem plug lol.

Firmware 3.0.0.4.386_42840 cut my WiFi speed in half on 5Ghz and the speed test in the firmware stopped working.
I am running the RT-AX86U
I tried turning off QoS, did a hard reset with holding down the WPS button and it did not fix it.
So I went back to firmware 3.0.0.4.386_42095 and now I have full speed back with speed test working.
Seems something is wrong with this firmware.

To be truthful, I think the firmware is just fine just like most of the previous ones....just depends on your setup and how you upgrade and reset / power cycle...
With these firmware updates its a bit hit and miss, at times it works just fine, then there are times when I have to turn off power at the router and cycle back on....

Thank you.
Difference is possibly the way the speed test is done. The router goes to a single server while a browser or pc based tester uses multiple servers. I see similar results with an AC66U_B1 on Comcast at 300 meg service.

I agree. If my devices are getting really high speed results then there is some sort of bug with the routers speed test.

To be truthful, I think the firmware is just fine just like most of the previous ones....just depends on your setup and how you upgrade and reset / power cycle...
With these firmware updates its a bit hit and miss, at times it works just fine, then there are times when I have to turn off power at the router and cycle back on....
Well after testing I decided to move back to the Merlin build and also don't see this issue. So no impact of wifi speed with merlin or previous Asus stock build. But it I load the latest firmware from asus as off today, hard reboot the router and even do a full stock hard reset to default without restoring my setting I will see this speed issue on the wifi. now this could be specific with my router version and the latest firmware, the latest firmware might not affect other hardware the same. I am running the RT-AX86U. For now I think I will stay on the Merlin version, I was only running stock since it was new and wanted make sure it ran properly. I ran Merlin for years on the RT-AC-86U and others with good results.

This is weird, going on for a while.
My link speed on my notebook (Wi-Fi) but also iPhone drops after a week or so from 1733.3 Mbps to around 866 (iPhone from 1201.0 to also around 866)...
When I reboot the router its always back up...
Why and what is happening? Is that connected to AX vs AC Wi-Fi?
Not even sure if its just this firmware, thinking it was like that on the one before as well.... Hmmm.
Anyone?

Clipboard01.jpg

Last edited:
This is weird, going on for a while.
My link speed on my notebook (Wi-Fi) but also iPhone drops after a week or so from 1733.3 Mbps to around 866 (iPhone from 1201.0 to also around 866)...
When I reboot the router its always back up...
Why and what is happening? Is that connected to AX vs AC Wi-Fi?
Not even sure if its just this firmware, thinking it was like that on the one before as well.... Hmmm.
Anyone?

View attachment 34082
Do you have the 5 GHz band set to a fixed channel and bandwidth on the router? I have noticed that with the Channel Bandwidth set to 20, 40, 80, 160 MHz the connection will start out at 160 MHz but drop back to 80 MHz after a day or two. So, make sure it is set to a fixed channel, 36 is good, and 160 MHz.

Do you have the 5 GHz band set to a fixed channel and bandwidth on the router? I have noticed that with the Channel Bandwidth set to 20, 40, 80, 160 MHz the connection will start out at 160 MHz but drop back to 80 MHz after a day or two. So, make sure it is set to a fixed channel, 36 is good, and 160 MHz.
Bingo and thank you!
But wait, will my iPhone 6s Plus work on 160MHz, and how about
and Amazon Echo?
As a band-aid I'll schedule a weekly reboot at night.

UPDATE: now set to fixed 160 MHz (channel 36) instead of 20/40/80/160...and all devices connecting fine. No reboot scheduling.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Yes, anyone else getting really low wireless speeds with this new update?! I'm running gig with a 2.5 gig modem, and connected to the 2.5 port on AX86U, I was testing bonkers speeds on wifi until I updated to this firmware?! I test at the router in the menu anywhere from 770-1.3, but wireless seams to be locked speedwise on multiple devices at around 249-260. I've even done a hard reset and it's the same. SOOOOOO ODD.

Modem settings are exactly the same as they have been on each firmware update, and after hard reset, the settings were then put to the same as before and it just does this stupid low 249-260 window now with this firmware?!

Think I'm gonna pass on this update....
Hmmm..not a great idea. Updates, most importantly, have security fixes that you really should have. Something like driving without a seat belt. Oh wait, there are those who do that, too. Take it from one who was saved by a seat belt in a car. It is worth the bother. Firmware updates are also worth the bother....

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!