What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.42840

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sorry but I have work to do at home, I don't have time to deal with unstable router due to sheet firmware. You do you Choo Choo boy

Sorry but I have work to do at home, I don't have time to deal with unstable router due to sheet firmware. You do you Choo Choo boy
Well, I am three years older than that "Choo Choo" which is Norfolk & Western #611 and we both can still answer the call and do a full days work.

hello guys

sorry if im posting this in the wrong place.
i have a RT-AC86U with latest merlin firmware, and i have 2 problems.
Last night i configured my new router and today when i go to "Game Device Prioritizing" its OFF when i left it ON and Adaptive QoS keeps switching from "Cake" to "Adaptive QoS" without me changing them...
any reason why?

That's the thing, I want the updates and the security that comes with it...but something isn't right on the wifi with this update, even after a hard reset

Expect a firmware upgrade soon. The AX86U support page is all messed up and they are referencing an AX86S.

Global Site

1624071545743.png

Exactly !!!
I just bought one today (the RT-AX86U) - at Bestbuy.ca (299.99 CAD).
I went to the ASUS site to look for potential firmware updates, and there are NONE.
It simply does not work, and there's nothing there.
They do reference the "S" model, but nothing is available for it.
Is asus going to catch on to this and fix it ?
I see your post was last Friday - and it is now Monday June 21 - still not fixed.
This is not a good start.....(hmmm, what's my return window again ?)

Exactly !!!
I just bought one today (the RT-AX86U) - at Bestbuy.ca (299.99 CAD).
I went to the ASUS site to look for potential firmware updates, and there are NONE.
It simply does not work, and there's nothing there.
They do reference the "S" model, but nothing is available for it.
Is asus going to catch on to this and fix it ?
I see your post was last Friday - and it is now Monday June 21 - still not fixed.
This is not a good start.....(hmmm, what's my return window again ?)
You can always try the merlin firmware. Mine was running good until this last asus firmware and wifi speed degraded.
I tried the hard reset and built up again from no backup restore. Still didn't fix it. So I moved over to merlin since I used to run it on my AC86U. I have not had any issues with the wifi speed since then.
Just to address other mentions in the thread. I was on a fixed channel and bandwidth with 5Ghz when I had the issue on ASUS firmware, and I still am with merlin without the issue now. Same channel, same bandwidth.
As for security patches, merliin firmware does address these since the core firmware is from Asus. I think the merlin version of this one that had the wifi speed issue was released on the 6th of this month. You can see in the release notes it addresses the same security fixes.
I have moved between the stock asus and merlin in the past two years and didnt have an issue. So once asus does release a new firmware I will move over again to see if the wifi speed issue was fixed.

Here is a link to the most recent AX86U firmware: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EGnhr4_ikfxWqJxlYZL4pTgtNzlREJd2/view?usp=sharing

I will delete this post when the Asus websites get fixed.
I looked at your link, its the same one that some have said they have issues with on the wifi speed slowing downs and is available on the US ASUS site. Version 3.0.0.4.386.42840
The size, date stamp, MD5, SHA-1 and the SHA-256 hashes are identical to whats on the ASUS US site now.
Am I missing something?

ASUS US Sire firmware URL - Released on April 29th, 2021 (2021/04/29)

Scott

I looked at your link, its the same one that some have said they have issues with on the wifi speed slowing downs and is available on the US ASUS site. Version 3.0.0.4.386.42840
The size, date stamp, MD5, SHA-1 and the SHA-256 hashes are identical to whats on the ASUS US site now.
Am I missing something?

ASUS US Sire firmware URL - Released on April 29th, 2021 (2021/04/29)

Scott
There are no show stopper problems with this release. Very stable WIFI and in some respects performs better for me than Merlin 386.2_6.
Downloads have been missing from the Asus site for several days.

There are no show stopper problems with this release. Very stable WIFI and in some respects performs better for me than Merlin 386.2_6.
This is the one I was having issues with. And I thought the same one others were posting wifi slow downs with over a day or two.

@ScottJD - Unless something has changed the wireless drivers in the firmware are closed source so Stock and Merlin are the same in that department.
Also, the site seems to be fixed now.

@ScottJD - Unless something has changed the wireless drivers in the firmware are closed source so Stock and Merlin are the same in that department.
Also, the site seems to be fixed now.
I know they are fixed, thats what didnt make and sense to me. I evern thoght maybe asus was using two difference revisions of the WiFi chip in the RT-AX86U, but even if they are different versions of chips the driver should be the same in merlin.
This is what baffled me so much and why I searched for others having similar issues and came across this thread.
Still there is more to wifi speeds then just a chip driver. Different packet management, protocols, other features that may be conflicting in some way that could be slightly different between stock and asus firmware.
All I know is I did the basic troubleshooting with a reboot and hard reset after each flash about three times and saw a repeatable and consistent difference on the 5Ghz wifi speed degrading with the Asus firmware.
And without having access to the code and syslog putting some proprietary errors (might mean someting to asus?) to my syslog server I cant really troubleshoot any further. So I eventually decided to say on merlin after 10 days of back and forth testing.
I may try the next one Asus releases just out of curiosity.

Only difference between stock and @RMerlin is on the wireless professional page.
@RMerlin disables roaming assistant and stock does not.
The other difference used to be that @RMerlin also disables Airtime Fairness and stock did not but Asus started disabling that too now at least on later models.
So now the only difference is roaming assistant is disabled.

I just installed three RT-AX86U routers in a mesh (with an ethernet backhaul) and I have the same wifi speed issues reported by others, on 3.0.0.4.386_42840, with download limited to 260 while upload is at 700 (on a 900/900 fibre). But oddly only on one of the three routers seems to have this issue (the primary one), even though they're all on the same firmware - if I move to one of the other two (nodes) my wifi speed is something like 600/800 instead (and of course when plugging in I get near enough 900/900). The on-board speed test on the router itself varies a lot but mostly around 400/500.
At this point I think I've pretty much tried everything on the stock firmware, so I think I'll give Merlin a try next.

edit: looks like that did the trick - getting 500-600 down / 700-800 up on all three now, and haven't seen any other issues yet

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!