What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_49447 (2022/06/20)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Why am I no longer able to select DFS channels for 5G anymore? Auto is the only option when I force 160Mhz. If I select other Mhz then I just see the list of non-DFS channels?

Low DFS: If you set 160MHz, you can select control channels 36-48 (non-DFS) and 52-64 (DFS). I prefer to select ch 36-48 (non-DFS) for compatibility with clients that only see non-DFS channels.

High DFS: If you set 20-40-80-160MHz, you can select control channels 100-116 (DFS)... and I believe the firmware will use ch 100-128 (all DFS) for 160MHz. If you select the higher DFS channels 132-140, you won't get 160MHz, and may not even get 80MHz.... as I see it.

Not a lot of options for 160MHz... the sweet spots, imo:

5.0 fixed, low DFS - 160MHz bw; ch 36-48 (non-DFS)
5.0 auto, low DFS - 20-40-80-160MHz bw; ch Auto, excluding DFS channels (36-48,149-165)
160MHz bw uses DFS ch 52-64.

1656110293800.png

OE

Last edited:
Why am I no longer able to select DFS channels for 5G anymore? Auto is the only option when I force 160Mhz. If I select other Mhz then I just see the list of non-DFS channels?
Do you mean why can't you select control channels higher than 128 w/ explicit 160MHz? Because there's only two 160 Mhz windows, [36,64] and [100,128] and your control channel must fall into one of those bins. You should be able to select a DFS channel in range [52,128] w/ 160MHz, I can at least.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wir...es/33210-160-mhz-wi-fi-channels-friend-or-foe

Last edited:
Oh, I see, w/ Smart Connect you don't have that option, ok, interesting. It's too smart, maybe.

If I select 20/.40/80/160 then I just get the list of regular channels:
Screenshot 2022-06-24 153835.jpg

Prior to this firmware update, I saw all the DFS channels listed and 54 hard-coded.

Do you mean why can't you select control channels higher than 128 w/ explicit 160MHz? Because there's only two 160 Mhz windows, [36,64] and [100,128] and your control channel must fall into one of those bins. You should be able to select a DFS channel in range [52,128] w/ 160MHz, I can at least.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wir...es/33210-160-mhz-wi-fi-channels-friend-or-foe

That's how it worked for me before this update. I had 160Mhz selected (so my AX laptop would consistently choose 160Mhz). And after using Wi-Fi analyzer, settled on 54 and hard-coded it. Worked every time -- 160Mhz for laptop and wireless log showed 54 as the channel used. Rebooted router since firmware update but no change. Not the end of the world, but I have very crowded wi-fi building and I just felt good seeing my 5G all by itself on 54.

That's how it worked for me before this update. I had 160Mhz selected (so my AX laptop would consistently choose 160Mhz). And after using Wi-Fi analyzer, settled on 54 and hard-coded it. Worked every time -- 160Mhz for laptop and wireless log showed 54 as the channel used. Rebooted router since firmware update but no change. Not the end of the world, but I have very crowded wi-fi building and I just felt good seeing my 5G all by itself on 54.
Can you disable Smart Connect, and try that?

Low DFS: If you set 160MHz, you can select control channels 36-48 (non-DFS) and 52-64 (DFS). I prefer to select ch 36-48 (non-DFS) for compatibility with clients that only see non-DFS channels.

High DFS: If you set 20-40-80-160MHz, you can select control channels 100-116 (DFS)... and I believe the firmware will use ch 100-128 (all DFS) for 160MHz. If you select the higher DFS channels 132-140, you won't get 160MHz, and may not even get 80MHz.... as I see it.

Not a lot of options for 160MHz... the sweet spots, imo:

5.0 fixed, low DFS - 160MHz bw; ch 36-48 (non-DFS)
5.0 auto, low DFS - 20-40-80-160MHz bw; ch Auto, excluding DFS channels (36-48,149-165)
160MHz bw uses DFS ch 52-64.

View attachment 42150

OE
This is an awesome table. It seems to indicate that channels [149,165] have the highest allowed master/client tx_pwr. Is there a CLI command to dump the routers ch/tx_pwr mapping?

Can you disable Smart Connect, and try that?

When I enable/disable Smart Connect, I get the same channel options.

OE

This is an awesome table. Is there a CLI command to dump the routers ch/tx_pwr mapping?

I studied the FCC channel plan and the firmware options and put together my options for bandwidth and channel settings... see my install notes.

As for power, there are power specs listed on that FCC channel plan. I don't know about the router's mappings. Notice that clients can have a bit more max conducted Tx power on channels 149-165... I suspect most don't.

OE

Last edited:
Notice that clients can have a bit more max conducted Tx power on channels 149-165.

They can, but they don't get it from our routers.

I studied the FCC channel graph and the firmware options and put together my options for bandwidth and channel settings... see my install notes.

As for power, there are power specs listed on that FCC channel graph. I don't know about the router's mappings. Notice that clients can have a bit more max conducted Tx power on channels 149-165.

OE
I did notice that, the lower [36,48] have the 24dBm limit on the client, interesting. I wonder if this partially explains why 149 has always worked a lilttle better for me.

Ok, that's good to know. I suppose @SteverinoLA is due for a factory reset?

Same lack of DFS channels whether Smart Connect on or off. No can do on a factory reset -- I have 42 smart home devices each individually named and icon assigned based on Mac address. I can't that all over again.

Only Mr. Easy knows the real numbers.

What I know so far is on all Asus routers I ever had power amps switch power on initial boot only. When you adjust the slider in Professional and hit Apply does the router reboot? When you change the channel from 36 to 149 does the router reboot? You have the answer now.

What I know so far is on all Asus routers I ever had power amps switch power on initial boot only. When you adjust the slider in Professional and hit Apply does the router reboot? When you change the channel from 36 to 149 does the router reboot? You have the answer now.
The table that @OzarkEdge posted implies that changing ch 36->149, wouldn't change the max allowed master (I.e. router) tx_pwr, so no reboot required. Also, this happens when you move the Tx power adjustment slider, then hit Apply.

Screen Shot 2022-06-24 at 4.34.44 PM.png

This is exactly what I mean. In some countries specific channels may allow more power, but it doesn't mean the router (or client) automatically increases the power when set to those channels. Our routers always have the same output, our clients too. AX86U has a bit differently tuned radios perhaps and works better on 149-161. AC86U in my experience is the opposite - works better on 36-48. More here:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!