What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_49599 (2022/07/12)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OK, the above went to this after Apply:

View attachment 42698

I'd say they don't have the UI working properly.

Edit: Router clears 36/160, but allows 36/80. Client connects at 36/80. Same as before, so far... no magically bump up to 36/160 when the client connects.

Maybe they think band 2a is band 4. :)

OE
Do you mean, with the setting of "160MHz" and "ch36", connecting an 80MHz device still drop 5G WiFi down to 80MHz (36/80 and DFS state is Idle) ?

My family is using the internet and I can't test it myself. Thanks a lot for your test.;)

Do you mean, with the setting of "160MHz" and "ch36", connecting an 80MHz device still drop 5G WiFi down to 80MHz (36/80 and DFS state is Idle) ?

My family is using the internet and I can't test it myself. Thanks a lot for your test.;)

On first look, 36/160 is approved by DFS but the router stayed at 36/80 and my one client connected at 36/80.

I'll reset later and review properly. I do like the addition of N-NII band settings, but they appear out of context and may only be related to N-NII-4 band which is next to useless unless all of your clients can see those barely approved frequencies.

OE

I saw there was an update available this morning when checking the router's interface for the day. Came here to double check to see if there were any show stopping problems. Didn't see anything so applied the update. No problems so far. Read through the 160Mhz posts, but since I don't have any devices that can support 160Mhz, I don't currently have it enabled so my 2.4Ghz is 20Mhz, and my 5Ghz is set to 20/4/0/80Mhz.

Why? It is giving you the options possible (at this stage).

When/as you select/apply further, options are removed/added, and refined.

Nothing weird to me.

Setting 36/80 and no 160 is sufficient for using U-NII-1 band... there is no need to qualify fixed control channel 36 with "Auto select channel including U-NII-4 band." This is confusing. That's why it's nonsense.

OE

I again did an update over the top of previous firmware without problems through the gui just befor I made the thread.

I currently sit with

11/20 locked in on 2ghz
36/80 locked in on 5ghz

Would you recommend trying 20/40/80/160Mhz and using ch36? or setting it to auto?

Setting 36/80 and no 160 is sufficient for using U-NII-1 band... there is no need to qualify fixed control channel 36 with "Auto select channel including U-NII-4 band." This is confusing. That's why it's nonsense.

OE

It's only your assumptions that are causing your confusion.

That is not what is being set (until, and if, you hit Apply).

The GUI, as you have shown so far, works for me and my understanding of it.

The options presented are the broadest possible, narrowed down by the next selection of option(s) you hit 'Apply' to.

On first look, 36/160 is approved by DFS but the router stayed at 36/80 and my one client connected at 36/80.

I'll reset later and review properly. I do like the addition of N-NII band settings, but they appear out of context and may only be related to N-NII-4 band which is next to useless unless all of your clients can see those barely approved frequencies.

OE
Seems to be the same as 386.49447.

Like buses eh. Wait for one then two release pop up within next to no time.

Will hold off for a few days and see what you guys figure out! :)

Whoa! Now they are talking U-NII bands! This could be good!

1657632148096.png

I don't see this on my AX86U:

1657638045356.png

This firmware restored lower channels 36-48 performance in my Wi-Fi environment. Similar link speeds and transfer rates to 46061. There was something wrong with 49447 wireless drivers. The router was working well on higher channels 149-161 only. I like the cleaner syslog too.

When doing a firmware update, does the router also do a full reboot automatically? I was curious only because there is nothing that physically says it's rebooting. I know my wireless clients got disconnected and reconnected as the client count was down. However, I was watching Disney+ on one of my Apple TV's that is hard wired and the stream never stopped while the firmware update was in process, another reason I was curious about if the router physically reboots once done.

Yes, of course. It has to load the new firmware.

Streaming services pre-load few minutes ahead.
I figured on the reboot part, and yeah, I know some streaming services do. Anyway all is well it seems, I went through my settings after the reboot, and everything looks good, and no issues after a couple hours of use.

Seems solid to me so far. No immediate issues.

Update successful, did a manual check and update. Hmm, I don't see the unii4 options?

But, what good is unii4 on a dual-band router? Doesn't it make more sense for a tri-band, like the newly announced ax11000 pro?

This firmware restored lower channels 36-48 performance in my Wi-Fi environment. Similar link speeds and transfer rates to 46061. There was something wrong with 49447 wireless drivers. The router was working well on higher channels 149-161 only. I like the cleaner syslog too.
I didn't seem to have lower channel [36,48] performance issues on 49447, 160mhz worked fine, and could do WLAN->LAN ~940Mbps easily to ax200 clients.

What issues were you having?

Update successful, did a manual check and update. Hmm, I don't see the unii4 options?

But, what good is unii4 on a dual-band router? Doesn't it make more sense for a tri-band, like the newly announced ax11000 pro?
I was curious, is it OK to combine the two 5Ghz channels on a Tri-Band router under one SSID? I have an older Tri-Band router by TP-Link prior to getting the RT-AX86U from Asus and that was one of the things I didn't like after using a Tri Band router for a couple years, having 3 SSIDs when I only need two. That's why I went back to a dual band router vs getting a new Tri Band.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!