What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_49599 (2022/07/12)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OK, the above went to this after Apply:

View attachment 42698

I'd say they don't have the UI working properly.

Edit: Router clears 36/160, but allows 36/80. Client connects at 36/80. Same as before, so far... no magically bump up to 36/160 when the client connects.

OE
36/160 will never work. 40/160 will work.

Clearly GUI problem.

Install Winfi to see at what speed is your router on 36/160

It will most probably be on 36/80

What issues were you having?

To my furthest located AC test client, about 30ft away and behind 2 walls, Auto control channel 44 @80MHz:

49447 -> 94Mbps (link speed 320/320)
49599 -> 174Mbps (link speed 585/585)

This is a HUGE improvement and what I would expect to see from AX86U. My AC86U had better Wi-Fi when AX86U was on 49447 firmware. Now the two routers have the same performance to AC clients, as expected. The new 49599 firmware just restored 46061 performance.

I was curious, is it OK to combine the two 5Ghz channels on a Tri-Band router under one SSID? I have an older Tri-Band router by TP-Link prior to getting the RT-AX86U from Asus and that was one of the things I didn't like after using a Tri Band router for a couple years, having 3 SSIDs when I only need two. That's why I went back to a dual band router vs getting a new Tri Band.
I don't see why not, as you can assign the same SSID to all 2.4G/5G-1/5G-2, and allow Smart Connect to move the clients around as needed. I can't speak to the reliability of using Smart Connect, as I don't use that, however.

To my furthest located AC test client, about 30ft away and behind 2 walls, Auto control channel 44 @80MHz:

49447 -> 94Mbps (link speed 320/320)
49599 -> 174Mbps (link speed 585/585)

This is a HUGE improvement and what I would expect to see from AX86U. My AC86U had better Wi-Fi when AX86U was on 49447 firmware. Now the two routers have the same performance to AC clients, as expected. The new 49599 firmware just restored 46061 performance.
Ah, I see, that is much better. I think I read a comment of yours on a different thread comparing ac86u/ax86u, that said *range* to ac clients is better on ac86u... is this still accurate with this 49599?

I don't see why not, as you can assign the same SSID to all 2.4G/5G-1/5G-2, and allow Smart Connect to move the clients around as needed. I can't speak to the reliability of using Smart Connect, as I don't use that, however.
I don't use smart connect, I need to be able to force clients to a specific band at times, but maybe on Tri-Band routers, combining the two 5Ghz bands will work OK. I don't need to worry about it at this point. I was mainly just asking out of curiosity if I ever needed more than a dual band router at some point. I have the Tri-Band because at the time I wanted to see how much of a performance boost I would get. Turns out that dual band is still currently all I need.

I think I read a comment of yours on a different thread comparing ac86u/ax86u, that said *range* to ac clients is better on ac86u... is this still accurate with this 49599?

I believe AX86U wireless drivers are fixed now and the two routers have the same performance. I don't have the time now to play with AC86U and report the exact speed and dBm numbers. Packing my bags to test the sandy beaches performance down South. :)

I just thought I'd add that my amazon return window for the RT-AX86U closes tomorrow. So far, so good, no issues causing me to need to return this one. I've been using the router since June 13th.

36/160 will never work. 40/160 will work.

Clearly GUI problem.

Install Winfi to see at what speed is your router on 36/160

It will most probably be on 36/80

Any control channel 36 to 64 with 160MHz bandwidth using N-NII-1,2a bands is permissible. This has nothing to do with the webUI.

Actual WiFi physical link rates and measured throughput speeds are subject to various conditions/variables, not just the router's control channel and bandwidth settings.

OE

I don't use smart connect, I need to be able to force clients to a specific band at times, but maybe on Tri-Band routers, combining the two 5Ghz bands will work OK. I don't need to worry about it at this point. I was mainly just asking out of curiosity if I ever needed more than a dual band router at some point. I have the Tri-Band because at the time I wanted to see how much of a performance boost I would get. Turns out that dual band is still currently all I need.

Tri-band means three distinct bands/WLANs. Giving them the same SSID name does not combine them into less bands/WLANs... you still have three distinct WLANs whether they are named the same or named differently.

OE

What's still surprising to me is my Comcast provided gateway still provides slightly better range and throughput on 5Ghz. They really have improved their boxes. But, I just prefer to actually have some amount of control over my network. And I like the flashing lights on my AX86U. Also, update, this release has been solid all work day.

You can use the Wireless MAC filter to either accept or reject clients on a band. I use it to force a Roku Ultra to the 2.4 GHz band as its remote is WIFI and can't use DFS channels. I feel you are better off to use the SmartConnect.

Tri-band means three distinct bands/WLANs. Giving them the same SSID name does not combine them into less bands/WLANs... you still have three distinct WLANs whether they are named the same or named differently.

OE
I didn't think it would eliminate the 3 separate wireless WLANS, I was mainly thinking instead of having 3 separate SSIDs show up giving both 5 GHZ SSIDs the same name would do something similar as smart connect and just connect to the fastest one automatically.

You can use the Wireless MAC filter to either accept or reject clients on a band. I use it to force a Roku Ultra to the 2.4 GHz band as its remote is WIFI and can't use DFS channels. I feel you are better off to use the SmartConnect.
Even though I could do that, and understand it, I feel like for my particular needs the separate SSIDs is more practical. The most use case would be setting up new lights or other smart devices. The phone, and the device have to both be on the same 2.4Ghz network for pairing and setup. Once that is done, I can put the phone back on 5Ghz. So it's much faster and practical to connect to the 2.4Ghz SSID for setup, and then reconnect to the 5Ghz when done. Once the devices are setup, they can exist on the 2.4Ghz, while the phone / apps can exist on the 5Ghz and control works fine.

I was away all morning so did not have a chance to play with the new firmware. It auto upgraded overnight and was working well. I did have a chance to connect via InstantGuard while I was busy waiting this morning and it, too, worked well.

I had been planning to try to set the router up with the Android Asus Router app. This afternoon I did a factory reset with initialize from the PC and aftern the router booted up I connected with the Android app and set up the router. I was pleased with how it worked and was able to do some basic customization's. I feel it was adequate for the majority of consumers to get the router set up in a secure manner. The app still asks to set up remote access (which we feel is a security risk). Overall the app did a pretty good job.

I did go back to my trusty wired PC to "finish" the router setup as I like it. Still am using default WIFI settings with WPA2/WPA3-Personal, DFS enabled and WPS disabled.

What's still surprising to me is my Comcast provided gateway still provides slightly better range and throughput on 5Ghz.

Not surprising at all. Some people on this forum actively advertise the "performance" of all-in-wonder (thanks @sfx2000) Asus routers with no experience with any other brand. I can tell you $50 TP-Link Archer C80 has the same speed and range to AC clients as $250 Asus RT-AX86U. With its cheap MediaTek SoC inside it beats in Wi-Fi performance to common 2-stream AC clients many popular Asus routers. It's an instant and cheap AC Wave 2 upgrade as Access Point to older AC68U variants and offloads the CPU to the point AC68U feels like AC86U in usual Internet experience. But... what do I know? ;)

I don't see this on my AX86U:

View attachment 42702

Yeah, what gets displayed can vary depending on what was set and/or is being set... it's a webUI/display/logic issue, imo. The take-away is to know it can happen and to be persistent to get to the settings you want, and to not mess with such settings when presented out of context and are not relevant.

OE

Yeah, what gets displayed can vary depending on what was set and/or is being set... it's a webUI/display/logic issue, imo. The take-away is to know it can happen and to be persistent to get to the settings you want, and to not mess with such settings when presented out of context and are not relevant.

OE

But this may have been cleared up by a Reset+Initialize. More reset lore.

The only other trouble was after the reset, my wired admin PC could not reach the router. Windows network diagnostics suggested no IP address. A button reset did not help. Then I cycled power AND moved the cable from the 2.5G/LAN5 port to LAN1. That fixed it. So, perhaps cycling power... perhaps the 2.5G port does not default to an active LAN5 port right away. I don't know... I changed two things at once!

2.4/5.0 signals are very good, not 'depressed'.

OE

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!