What's new

Solved ASUS RT-AX86U network performance issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Im having same issue- BUT- not download- upload case- since August. Very rare matter as much as I can understand.
Asus still working it through and cannot allocate the source.
Some other user here told they have located some issue with MicroTrend integration with PPP, and will be resolved in next FW update.
Although I am connected using DHCP, but getting upload 50Megabit instead of 100+ (my package is 100, but usually gets 100-120 Megabit).
In wired speed test I get 900+/100-120Mbps.
In file upload- 50-60Mbit, still HARD WIRE.
Over WIFI speed test , same as file upload. .

Non related- had non stabilized Wi-Fi speeds- I changed the Wi-Fi channel to non-DFS, and set static bandwidth for the WIFI of 80MHZ. I get stable speeds on WIFI, but upload still sucks.
OFDMA limited to DL only because on DL UL and MU MIMO- after 2 speed tests, the speeds drop about 100Megabit and not worth it.

Hope ASUS will resolve it soon- it is a GREAT router but 3 months and they could not allocate this matter- which is very dumb.
Such an expensive router with those foolish issues.

My wife yesterday said that I wasted 3+ hours of my life messing with it and told me if I’m doing that, is it really worth the $300 - told me to return it and get something better.

Honestly, the router would be absolutely perfect if it did not have these weird wired issues - the WiFi seems very fast and stable throughout the house now, which is why I’m even considering just living with the wired issues.

I’ll give it a week and see how things go - I can still return it to Best Buy in the end if I’m not happy.

I will try disabling 160Mhz WiFi, as suggested, later today and see if that does anything, but I’m not hopeful.

I have a 1Gbit down/30 Mbit up connection through my ISP (Rogers) using a Technicolor CGM4140COM gateway (rev 2.2) in Bridge Mode.

I am using an AX86U on a Technicholor modem right now with no problems but I don't have 1Gbit speed subscription so that's a big difference. Good luck finding a solution and hopefully the problem isn't an issue with the other hardware like modem and it's settings or the Ethernet interconnect cable or you will be back to square one when you return it and change to different router.

Last edited:
Just bought AX86U a week ago, curious my wired Internet speed. I am able to reach over 900 Mbps on the Rogers 1G Internet plan. Also similar result by using my son laptop with WIFI 6 AX201, which indicates 2400 Mbps connect. FYI, latest firmware manually update, use most default setting, QOS is off, use 160 Mhz on 5G.
1604191423439.png

Just bought AX86U a week ago, curious my wired Internet speed. I am able to reach over 900 Mbps on the Rogers 1G Internet plan. Also similar result by using my son laptop with WIFI 6 AX201, which indicates 2400 Mbps connect. FYI, latest firmware manually update, use most default setting, QOS is off, use 160 Mhz on 5G.
View attachment 27326

Are you using their Ignite gateway (the black one they give you now with the small WiFi Android TV boxes)?

Are you using the cable that came with the router?

That’s really the sort of speeds I would also expect to see during the off-peak hours and about 850 Mbps during peak in my area, so I am baffled in terms of what could be going wrong here.

Unfortunately didn’t get any time to test some of the suggestions today, but thank you very much everyone - I will definitely get to those!

Yes, I am using Rogers Ignite gateway, but white tower kind. And I am not using the cable came with the router. Actually it's long, like 10 feet.

The number was tested during the off-peak hours. we know Rogers, right?

Good luck...

Can you try just use 80Mhz instead of 160Mhz? This is just suggestion to try. I'm afraid that maybe 160Mhz give interference to unshielded (UTP) LAN cable.

Tried disabling 160MHz, 802.11ax/Wifi6 module and even switching to a shielded CAT5E - no luck there.

Yes, I am using Rogers Ignite gateway, but white tower kind. And I am not using the cable came with the router. Actually it's long, like 10 feet.

The number was tested during the off-peak hours. we know Rogers, right?

Good luck...

Yes, I think you have the other one they offer - the one I have is the system they bought from Comcast for the new Ignite IPTV + Internet + VOIP service.
1604290933907.png

I do wonder if there is some sort of compatibility issues between this router and that specific gateway.

Last edited:
An interesting development - decided to hook up an Anker USB3.0 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter to my work laptop (Dell XPS 15) and hooked that up to the Ethernet cable that was plugged into my PC. This gave me the expected speeds:

Modem --- Router --- Anker Adapter --- Dell XPS 15
1604293367924.png

So now this is interesting - two PCs on my network connected over Ethernet see maybe 500-600 Mbps tops in speed tests, however this combination is much faster. Again, this is something that didn't have any issues with my previous RT-AC1900P.

Have you tried the 386 RC2-7 beta firmware? Performance is good with this firmware on my RT-AX86U.

Thank you for the suggestion, but I didn't really see anything in the changelog that should affect this and with this test, it seems maybe there is something more to this, so I'll hold off updating for now.

Have you tried to update drivers of network card? different cables? such issue may have a weird solution.

Have you tried to update drivers of network card? different cables? such issue may have a weird solution.

Tried different cables and updated the drivers (and even tried going back to a much older version) - no luck yet. I am just confused why this is an issue with just this router. I was thinking of trying to insert a switch between the router and my PC, but I don't really have a good one, unless I converted the old router into one.

Tried different cables and updated the drivers (and even tried going back to a much older version) - no luck yet. I am just confused why this is an issue with just this router. I was thinking of trying to insert a switch between the router and my PC, but I don't really have a good one, unless I converted the old router into one.

What about duplex settings? this is how to get it https://social.technet.microsoft.co...alid-display-values?forum=winserverpowershell

It’s set to 1Gbit full duplex.

Performed some more testing with even more interesting results:
- Work laptop with USB 3.0 Ethernet adapter: 943 Mbit download
- My personal laptop with USB 3.0 Ethernet adapter: 328 Mbit download
- My PC with USB 3.0 Ethernet Adapter: 330 Mbit download
- My PC with the Intel Gigabit adapter (motherboard integrated), running on the latest drivers: 400 Mbit download.

Not that it would make any difference, but I did try enabling Jumbo Packets on the router and enabling 9KB Jumbo packets on my PC (that was actually a suggestion from ASUS). Also tried disabling large packet offload

Out of all of these tested, my Work laptop is the newest hardware (previous generation Dell XPS 15), but I never had any issues with my PC and before I moved to my house a few years ago, I was testing the Internet speed with my laptop, using the same Ethernet USB adapter and was getting speeds in the 900+ Mbit range.

So to summarize, I’ve tested with 4 different machines now and only my work laptop is showing the expected speeds.

Sorry for more questions but do all machines have USB 3.0 ports? and when you say it is set to to 1Gbit full duplex, is this the status on the port or the windows settings?

I wouldn't expect a USB 3.0 Ethernet adaptor to work at the same speeds as a native 1GbE port.

Sorry for more questions but do all machines have USB 3.0 ports? and when you say it is set to to 1Gbit full duplex, is this the status on the port or the windows settings?

oh absolutely no problem - I’m kind of lost what else to try, so any suggestions welcome.

When looking at the status of the network connection in Windows, it reports it as 1 Gbit. I also tried forcing it to 1Gbit Full Duplex in the network driver settings manually.

All machines have USB 3.0 ports, although the Work laptop probably has USB 3.1 - the adapter is 3.0 though, so that shouldn’t matter. It’s a good idea that maybe the adapter is running at USB 2.0 speeds, but as far as I can tell - I don’t think that is the case?

You may be right even though USB 3.0 has 5Gbps. The reason I'm asking is that if you are plugging the adapter into a USB 2.0 port, you will not get more than few hundred Mbps.

oh absolutely no problem - I’m kind of lost what else to try, so any suggestions welcome.

When looking at the status of the network connection in Windows, it reports it as 1 Gbit. I also tried forcing it to 1Gbit Full Duplex in the network driver settings manually.

All machines have USB 3.0 ports, although the Work laptop probably has USB 3.1 - the adapter is 3.0 though, so that shouldn’t matter. It’s a good idea that maybe the adapter is running at USB 2.0 speeds, but as far as I can tell - I don’t think that is the case?

Will check mine when I get home, I guess it should say full duplex as well.
Edit: This should be visible in router logs as well, that it is 1000 Mbps full duplex.

Just trying to rule this out.

You may be right even though USB 3.0 has 5Gbps. The reason I'm asking is that if you are plugging the adapter into a USB 2.0 port, you will not get more than few hundred Mbps.

I was definitely plugging it into the USB 3.0 ports. I have an additional USB 3.0 PCI-E extension card that gave the same results as well.

The adapter was just a secondary test case anyways - I am now lost as to where the problem might be. I even tried disabling the Antivirus and Firewall and that didn’t help either

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!