What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86U Pro Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.23285

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bbunge

Part of the Furniture
ASUS RT-AX86U Pro Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.23285

Version 3.0.0.4.388.23285

52.56 MB

2023/05/11

ASUS RT-AX86U Pro will qualify for the ‘Engineered for Intel® Evo™’ designation only when used with firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.23285 or greater. Please download that update to ensure the best experience in compatibility and performance. After Firmware upgrade, please do factory reset to apply the changes.

New features:
-Built-in Surfshark in VPN Fusion allows you to surf the internet anonymously and securely from anywhere by encrypting connections. Please refer to https://asus.click/SurfsharkVPN

-iPhone/Android USB auto backup WAN allows you to connect your phone to the router’s USB port and use it as an internet source. Please refer to https://asus.click/AutobackupWAN

-DDNS transfer allows you to transfer your ASUS DDNS hostname from your original router to the new one. Please refer to https://asus.click/ASUSDDNS

Bug fixes and functionality modifications:
-Resolved the issue with login and password changes.
-Resolved the IPSec VPN connection issues.
-Resolved the Instant Guard connection issues.
-Fixed the AiCloud login issue after unplugging and plugging the HDD into the USB port.
-Fixed the issue where Traffic Analyzer sometimes couldn't record data.
-Fixed the time display issue for the preferred upgrade time in the Auto Firmware Upgrade function.
-Fine-tuned the description for port status.
-Enabled DynDNS and No-IP DDNS to use IPv6.
-Fixed AiMesh preferred AP identification in site survey results.
-Updated timezone list for Greenland, Mexico, and Iran.
-Modified the USB application option text in dual WAN.
-Allowed WireGuard Server clients to access the Samba server.
-Fixed memory leak issue.
-Enabled the failback function when using the iOS/Android USB backup WAN.
-The ARP response issue has been resolved, along with the connection issue between the router and the ROG Phone 6 and 7.
-Resolved the issue where the USB path is not displayed on the Media Server page in the AiMesh node

Security updates:
-Enabled and supported ECDSA certificates for Let's Encrypt.
-Enhanced protection for credentials.
-Enhanced protection for OTA firmware updates.
-Fixed DoS vulnerabilities in firewall configuration pages. Thanks to Jinghe Gao's contribution.
-Fixed DoS vulerabilities in httpd. Thanks to Howard McGreehan.
-Fixed information disclosure vulnerability. Thanks to Junxu (Hillstone Network Security Research Institute) contribution.
-Fixed CVE-2023-28702 and CVE-2023-28703. Thanks to Xingyu Xu(@tmotfl) contribution.
-Fixed null pointer dereference vulnerabilities. Thanks to Chengfeng Ye, Prism Research Group - cse hkust contribution.
-Fixed the cfg server vulnerability. Thanks to Swing and Wang Duo from Chaitin Security Research Lab.
-Fixed the vulnerability in the logmessage function. Thanks to Swing and Wang Duo from Chaitin Security Research Lab C0ss4ck from Bytedance Wuheng Lab, Feixincheng from X1cT34m.

Please unzip the firmware file, and then verify the checksum.
SHA256: 1039ed080c7970190ca7662b6f6ce1de3a8acd66cc1d16f90060e41ffa68fa1d

I thought I would highlight one point from the release notes:

ASUS RT-AX86U Pro will qualify for the ‘Engineered for Intel® Evo™’ designation only when used with firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.23285 or greater. Please download that update to ensure the best experience in compatibility and performance. After Firmware upgrade, please do factory reset to apply the changes.

Please note the last line recommending, but not mandating, a factory reset and reconfigure. While a pain for some and the benefits are not known it may be a good idea to do it once and be done. I am sure there will be many complaints about this.

Firmware working well so far even after my reset and reconfig.

I was expecting the current public beta 9.0.0.6.* to become release 3.0.0.6.*, not release 3.0.0.4.*. Now I'm wondering if that beta work is in this new release(?). I'll load it up, but I was looking forward to this next release being 'beta vetted'. :)

Looks like a lot of fixes... and the 'tone' of the release notes seems a bit more 'better'.

OE

I was expecting the current public beta 9.0.0.6.* to become release 3.0.0.6.*, not release 3.0.0.4.*. Now I'm wondering if that beta work is in this new release(?). I'll load it up, but I was looking forward to this next release being 'beta vetted'. :)

Looks like a lot of fixes... and the 'tone' of the release notes seems a bit more 'better'.

OE
I'm not seeing features in the beta in this release which is OK with me. While this release is working, one thing that changed was my printer IP address. The printer got the same IP address over three routers and many firmwares. This firmware changed it and I had to manually assign it back.

I'm not seeing features in the beta in this release which is OK with me.

Yes, I can roll with it, too. That beta has me expecting new things, but I can wait. :)

While this release is working, one thing that changed was my printer IP address. The printer got the same IP address over three routers and many firmwares. This firmware changed it and I had to manually assign it back.

That is curious. I've been relying on dynamic IPs that don't seem to change over time, but I do set my printer IP on the printer since this has been one solution for Windows/printer driver weirdness for many years.

OE

For what it's worth, I've been able to reliably run 5.0 160MHz bw non-DFS control channel 36 (5.0 U-NII bands 1,2a fixed) for the last three days with my AiMesh. I think the last time I tried 160MHz was with AX86U + AC86U, firmware versions and seasons ago (leaves are out now). A regional airport is about 8 miles away. Jury is out... I'll report back on this in a couple weeks, if not sooner.

OE

For what it's worth, I've been able to reliably run 5.0 160MHz bw non-DFS control channel 36 (5.0 U-NII bands 1,2a fixed) for the last three days with my AiMesh. I think the last time I tried 160MHz was with AX86U + AC86U, firmware versions and seasons ago (leaves are out now). A regional airport is about 8 miles away. Jury is out... I'll report back on this in a couple weeks, if not sooner.

OE

Follow-up to report that 160MHz bw is holding up well and now seems solid at my location.

OE

Hi folks,

I updated my RT-AX86U to 3.0.0.4.388_23285 around 10 days ago and almost immediately started experiencing issues. My work VPN would drop off after 20-30 minutes, my Ring doorbell and wifi extender would work fine for a day or so and then drop off. The fix was to reboot the router every time, restarting the appliance would fix it temporarily for a short while.

After playing around it seems things connect OK no 2.4GHz, but not on 5.

I can't see anything on these forums relating to this problem, or anywhere online. I've raised a support request with ASUS but I'm not holding my breath.

Has anyone had a similar experience or have any ideas what the issue could be?

Many thanks,
Chetiya.

Hi folks,

I updated my RT-AX86U to 3.0.0.4.388_23285 around 10 days ago and almost immediately started experiencing issues. My work VPN would drop off after 20-30 minutes, my Ring doorbell and wifi extender would work fine for a day or so and then drop off. The fix was to reboot the router every time, restarting the appliance would fix it temporarily for a short while.

After playing around it seems things connect OK no 2.4GHz, but not on 5.

I can't see anything on these forums relating to this problem, or anywhere online. I've raised a support request with ASUS but I'm not holding my breath.

Has anyone had a similar experience or have any ideas what the issue could be?

Many thanks,
Chetiya.
Are you sure you have an AX86U? If so you should not use this firmware as it is for the AX86U Pro.

Are you sure you have an AX86U? If so you should not use this firmware as it is for the AX86U Pro.
Hi, thanks for your response.

RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) < this is what I have, not a pro. However I did not manually choose this firmware, it was available as an update in the GUI so I presumed it was valid for this device. Is this not correct?

“ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.23285”

The website also seems to list this as the right firmware. Have I missed something?

Thanks

“ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.23285”

The website also seems to list this as the right firmware. Have I missed something?

Thanks
This thread is for the "Pro" model's firmware. There is a separate thread for the non-Pro models here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...e-version-3-0-0-4-388-23285-15-05-2023.84982/

Have I missed something?
Yes. You are posting in a discussion about RT-AX86U Pro firmware. The RT-AX86U Pro is a different router and uses different firmware than the RT-AX86U and RT-AX86S. See the link ColinTaylor provided to the discussion for the RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S firmware if you have one of those routers.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!