What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86U Pro Firmware version 3.0.0.6_102_34312 - 2024/05/09

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi there, just came here as I'm thinking of buying a RT-AX86U model. Is there already a workaround for the native IPv6 bug? Will a custom firewall rule help? Running the older firmware isn't an option at my place as I need VLAN support and for me the only options seems to be the new release, but it seems there are problems with IPv6. I want to replace my Fritzbox 4060 as I want to try out something new. Thanks for your replies in advance.

No, that is not what you asked for. Details matter here. :)

Just looking out for you before you order what you stated and find out later it isn't equivalent. Also, the thread doesn't mean everyone is talking about just the thread. ;)

Currently I’m not going to order any model with such issues. Do you know if ASUS is already aware of the problem?
The AX86U Pro does go on sale from time to time. Get one and wait for the fix. It is worth it.
And, I understood you were asking about the AX86U Pro version. Some forum members just can't read or understand English and have no heart either.

Edit... Amazon has it for $205.99

This is a tech forum. Writing/Reading means being precise and verifying too.

No heart? The time I put in here is not paid, it is for others to benefit from my experience. Nuance and reading between the lines, without making assumptions (and, always the worst assumptions), is required.

So my Thermostat issue goes back many years. My goal is to update my main RT-AX86U Pro router and have a guest network run only on the main router (not the nodes), then have IoT devices connect to that SSID. With the new Guest Network Pro VLAN feature, if WPA2 shared key is causing the 4 way handshake issue, what are the thoughts on this idea: Enable an IoT SSID VLAN with less secure WPA for the old IoT devices to use, Disable Intranet access, and only let them IoT devices talk to the Internet?
I finally had a chance to upgrade my main RT-AX86U Pro router to this version and troubleshoot. My WPA2/WPA3 password used a special character that I think my IoT devices struggled with... I ended up creating an IoT SSID/VLAN with a new password and now have my devices, including the Thermostats, registered to it successfully.

This is a tech forum. Writing/Reading means being precise and verifying too.

No heart? The time I put in here is not paid, it is for others to benefit from my experience. Nuance and reading between the lines, without making assumptions (and, always the worst assumptions), is required.
I'm really sorry for this confusion by asking not that precisely at all. I'll do my best next time. :)

@wisecoffee, that post wasn't directed at you. That was to the poster above.

Took a quick look at this 3006 firmware on a RT-AX86U Pro and ended up having issues with the Guest Network Pro settings. For what ever reason I couldn't get Guest Network Pro WiFi clients isolated from the main LAN clients in my quick testing. Even tried a Custom Guest Network Pro entry with Access Intranet set to Off and guest WiFi clients could/would still access main LAN clients (even after a reboot). Not sure WTF is going on there. I was using the same subnet as the main LAN which is what makes me wonder if that is the cause. Rolled back to Merlin firmware for now, may try 3006 out at a later point when I have more free time to experiment.

SDNcrop.jpg

is the consensus for a new user like myself with this model to stick with the Merlin firmware for now and not update to the Asus stock 3.0.0.6 firmware then? looking for stability and don't really need VLANs right now

is the consensus for a new user like myself with this model to stick with the Merlin firmware for now and not update to the Asus stock 3.0.0.6 firmware then? looking for stability and don't really need VLANs right now

I think you will be fine on this firmware. Why are you using Asuswrt-Merlin?

OE

Unless his ISP uses IPv6, which is broken in this release.

That's already been discussed in this thread. My consensus is that they don't use it and don't need it.

OE

Wife and I both use isolated Guest WIFI 5GHz to WFH ... thinking I might let this release age a bit.

That's already been discussed in this thread. My consensus is that they don't use it and don't need it.

OE
thanks - i should've worded my situation better: currently not on either firmware but getting this model soon; sounds like latest stock firmware should work for me as I do not have ipv6; thanks again!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!