What's new

Beta ASUS RT-AX86U/S Series Firmware version 9.0.0.4.388.20477 (2022/08/09)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'll play with that, I do have DoT enabled in the AX86U. I'll disable and try the Re-Add trick in the Wzye app to change the devices wireless network.

I'm not familiar with Wyze 'Re-Add trick'... I just use the Add new device setup routine.

To confirm, after setting up your Wyze Cam2 and have it connected, you were able to set the AX86U's WAN | DNS Privacy Protocol setting back to DoT?

Yes, disable DoT temporarily to permit cam setup... an easy toggle, and another Wyze nuisance.

OE

If your idea is to run network wide VPN, no home router will come close to Gigabit speeds. You can get 350-400Mbps at best using WireGuard and to fast local server only. For more you'll need x86 hardware.

350-400 would be fine for my needs, actually 250 would be fine which I read OpenVPN will reach on this router with current f/w.

I'm not familiar with Wyze 'Re-Add trick'... I just use the Add new device setup routine.

Yes, disable DoT temporarily to permit cam setup... an easy toggle, and another Wyze nuisance.

OE

yes, that's it.. just Add the device even if the device is already setup in the Wyze app.. that's why I used 'Re-Add'. :D

TY for pointing me to this (disable DoT).

Just like that.. Setting DNS Privacy Protocol to None (I also reboot the AX86U) and all those devices connected fine (except the 2 devices that I Factory Reset.. I'll re-add those in the Wyze app. EDIT: No problem adding the one Cam v2 and the Robot Vacuum I reset and getting them both back online.

However, it's not a temporary fix here:
If I toggled DNS Privacy Protocol back to DNS-over-TLS (DoT) with both Cloudflare's server presets set below that, none of those devices will connect if power cycled. The wired Wyze door bell immediately stops responding/connecting without power cycle (and of course no go with a power cycle).

Have DNS Server above that setting set to:
Filter Mode: Fast DNS
Service Name: Cloudflare
DNS Server: 1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1

Prevent client auto DoH to Auto

This is where @RMerlin DNS Filter would come in handy, could just set these devices to 'No Filter'. Of course, Asus removed it from the stock f/w not to long ago for some reason.

What happens to your Wyze Cam v2 when you power cycle it and DoT is enabled in your AX86U?

Last edited:
yes, that's it.. just Add the device even if the device is already setup in the Wyze app.. that's why I used 'Re-Add'. :D

Then you are not stating what you are doing. 'Add Device' means 'Add Device'.

TY for pointing me to this (disable DoT).

Just like that.. Setting DNS Privacy Protocol to None (I also reboot the AX86U) and all those devices connected fine (except the 2 devices that I Factory Reset.. I'll re-add those in the Wyze app. EDIT: No problem adding the one Cam v2 and the Robot Vacuum I reset and getting them both back online.

However, it's not a temporary fix here:

I said 'disable DoT temporarily to permit cam setup', i.e. 'Add Device'. I did not say anything about a temporary fix.

If I toggled DNS Privacy Protocol back to DNS-over-TLS (DoT) with both Cloudflare's server presets set below that, none of those devices will connect if power cycled. The wired Wyze door bell immediately stops responding/connecting without power cycle (and of course no go with a power cycle).

Have DNS Server above that setting set to:
Filter Mode: Fast DNS
Service Name: Cloudflare
DNS Server: 1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1

Prevent client auto DoH to Auto

This is where @RMerlin DNS Filter would come in handy, could just set these devices to 'No Filter'. Of course, Asus removed it from the stock f/w not to long ago for some reason.

I am using ASUSWRT 3.0.0.4.386_49599 (not Beta f/w) and these CloudFlare DoT settings for malware filtering:
1664586558811.png

Or, you can use 1.1.1.3 1.0.0.3 family.cloudflare-dns.com for malware and adult content filtering (I have not tried this... only adults here).

I am not using 1.1.1.1 1.0.0.1 and DoH; and I don't know what "Prevent client auto DoH to Auto" means.

Reference: Overview · Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 docs

What happens to your Wyze Cam v2 when you power cycle it and DoT is enabled in your AX86U?

The cam v2 (f/w 4.9.8.1002) restarts and works fine with DoT enabled on the router.

I suggest you configure the router for DoT with filtering using either of the two options noted above as prescribed by CloudFlare. Then proceed to troubleshoot your Wyze issue, if still present.

OE

Time for you all to move to the release and forget this beta!

Time for you all to move to the release and forget this beta!

Says the guy who frequently moves back and forth between ASUSWRT and ASUSWRT-Merlin despite his own advice. :rolleyes:

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!