What's new

Beta ASUS RT-AX86U/S Series Firmware version 9.0.0.4.388.20477 (2022/08/09)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

All your questions have been answered already. Please, search around. This thread is about beta firmware release.

The stable version 388 does not come out for a long time
Well, you may not be correct. The AX88U does have a "stable" release although there have been several quick fixes. The AX86U "stable" release may be just around the corner...

Your source for this?

sam
I think they were saying that this beta was released a month ago and there is still no stable version, not predicting the future release. But I could be misinterpreting their meaning.

Question to those who got SurfShark to work with WG - could you post semi-detailed instructions? I can't get it to work.

What I did:

• on surfshark.com: VPN -> WireGuard -> I don't have a key -> Choose location -> Download the .conf file
  • in Asus-WRT: VPN -> Vpn Fusion -> Add Profile -> Wireguard -> Upload the .conf file -> Apply.
After enagling the profile, I lose my internet connection on the clients where the profile is active. Could I be missing something? Are there any settings I need to check elsewhere that could be interfering with WG?

TIA

I find such records in the logs. What do they mean? (eth7 - wifi 5GHz, 160MHz, canal auto)

Code:
Sep 25 14:57:51 acsd: acs_candidate_score_intf(1112): eth7: intf check failed for chanspec: 0xe832 (36/160)
Sep 25 14:57:51 acsd: acs_candidate_score_bgnoise(1577): eth7: bgnoise check failed for chanspec: 0xe832 (36/160)
Sep 25 14:57:51 acsd: acs_candidate_score_txop(1835): eth7: txop check failed for chanspec: 0xe832 (36/160)
Sep 25 14:57:51 acsd: acs_candidate_score_intf(1112): eth7: intf check failed for chanspec: 0xe932 (40/160)
Sep 25 14:57:51 acsd: acs_candidate_score_bgnoise(1577): eth7: bgnoise check failed for chanspec: 0xe932 (40/160)
Sep 25 14:57:51 acsd: acs_candidate_score_txop(1835): eth7: txop check failed for chanspec: 0xe932 (40/160)
Sep 25 14:57:51 acsd: acs_candidate_score_intf(1112): eth7: intf check failed for chanspec: 0xea32 (44/160)
Sep 25 14:57:51 acsd: acs_candidate_score_bgnoise(1577): eth7: bgnoise check failed for chanspec: 0xea32 (44/160)
Sep 25 14:57:51 acsd: acs_candidate_score_txop(1835): eth7: txop check failed for chanspec: 0xea32 (44/160)
Sep 25 14:57:51 acsd: acs_candidate_score_intf(1112): eth7: intf check failed for chanspec: 0xeb32 (48/160)
Sep 25 14:57:51 acsd: acs_candidate_score_bgnoise(1577): eth7: bgnoise check failed for chanspec: 0xeb32 (48/160)
Sep 25 14:57:51 acsd: acs_candidate_score_txop(1835): eth7: txop check failed for chanspec: 0xeb32 (48/160)

Question to those who got SurfShark to work with WG - could you post semi-detailed instructions? I can't get it to work.

What I did:

• on surfshark.com: VPN -> WireGuard -> I don't have a key -> Choose location -> Download the .conf file
  • in Asus-WRT: VPN -> Vpn Fusion -> Add Profile -> Wireguard -> Upload the .conf file -> Apply.
After enagling the profile, I lose my internet connection on the clients where the profile is active. Could I be missing something? Are there any settings I need to check elsewhere that could be interfering with WG?

TIA
You are not alone. My GT-AXE11000 has the latest stock ASUSWRT firmware and I spent hours with support regarding their implementation of WG. Finally determined on their end that their custom Wireguard servers only support OpenWRT/DD-WRT firmware devices. Don't shoot the messenger please! lol I now use Proton VPN-good performance from WG and even OpenVPN protocols.

This from SurfShark:

Surfshark (Surfshark)
Sep 14, 2022, 22:04 GMT+3
Hello, Doug!

Thank you for your response, hope you are staying safe!

I do wish to note that at the moment, the WireGuard protocol on routers is supported only for the OpenWRT and DD-WRT firmware, I apologize for the inconvenience.

I got Wireguard to work, although I had to edit each line, there was a &amp# added to each entry. Question, does anyone else have the issue where it is connecting to Wireguard but leaking your DNS?

My IPv4 firewall is disabled by default... is this normal?

View attachment 43686

OE
I just noticed this as well and was going to post. Also saw RMerlin's post in regards to this:

Check with iptables. I think that option is only enabled if you want to add manual rules to the IPv4 tables. If you don't need additional rules, it can be left disabled, which is different from the Enable Firewall option at the top of the page.

It does disable NAT acceleration. If you see way over 350Mbps, check for IPv6 leaks.

I just read about NAT acceleration being automatically disabled by the f/w in another Thread with Wireguard being used. WG is the primary reason I am testing this stock Beta f/w.

RMerlin
NAT acceleration still exists (it's now called flow cache, with the second level called packet runner or archer depending on the router model), however there is no webui option to manually enable/disable it. The firmware will automatically disable it when an incompatible feature is enabled.

The flow cache engine is much more sophisticated than the old CTF.

Last edited:
I was going to ask the same thing about the release, I went to the support page for the router from within the router Web GUI, and the beta firmware is posted right where the public release would usually be. Does this mean it's stable enough at this point to use it as a daily driver?

I've always run 3rd party f/w right from the start, using RMerlin's since day one of my switch to Asus Routers. I decided to give this stock f/w Beta a go right off the bat with the AX86U. Going well so far except, none of my Wyze v2 cams, Wyze wired doorbell or Wyze bulbs will connect (even trying the re-add device trick in the Wyze app) to the AX86U's 2.4GHz band. All the Wyze v3 cams & floodlight cams (which are v3) connected without issue. My Wyze Cam Outdoor was connected but showed offline in the Wyze app, though I could view it live and it would trigger events.

EDIT: Also my Wyze Robot Vacuum won't connect and I've spend a lot of time with that

Has me baffled. Anyone here have Wyze v2 cams?

Last edited:
Did you try rebooting them? Or better yet, powering them off, waiting a minute or two, then powering them on again?

Did you try rebooting them? Or better yet, powering them off, waiting a minute or two, then powering them on again?
Yes, even factory reset one cam v2 and reset the wifi config on the Wyze Robot Vacuum.

I'm convinced it's a setting in the router config.. I may do a reset to factory default on the AX86U but I want to work with this more.

Last edited:
I've always run 3rd party f/w right from the start, using RMerlin's since day one of my switch to Asus Routers. I decided to give this stock f/w Beta a go right off the bat with the AX86U. Going well so far except, none of my Wyze v2 cams, Wyze wired doorbell or Wyze bulbs will connect (even trying the re-add device trick in the Wyze app) to the AX86U's 2.4GHz band. All the Wyze v3 cams & floodlight cams (which are v3) connected without issue. My Wyze Cam Outdoor was connected but showed offline in the Wyze app, though I could view it live and it would trigger events.

EDIT: Also my Wyze Robot Vacuum won't connect and I've spend a lot of time with that

Has me baffled. Anyone here have Wyze v2 cams?

I have a Wyze cam v2 on current/latest AX86U_49599 release. The only issue is to not use DoT during cam setup.

You could try a clean install of the firmware... Hard Reset it and configure from scratch.

And you could skip the beta test if you only want to change from ASUSWRT-Merlin to ASUSWRT. The beta should be about over soon, imo.

OE

I have a Wyze cam v2 on current/latest AX86U_49599 release. The only issue is to not use DoT during cam setup.

You could try a clean install of the firmware... Hard Reset it and configure from scratch.

And you could skip the beta test if you only want to change from ASUSWRT-Merlin to ASUSWRT. The beta should be about over soon, imo.

OE

I'll play with that, I do have DoT enabled in the AX86U. I'll disable and try the Re-Add trick in the Wzye app to change the devices wireless network.

I setup the AX86U to use the same wireless SSID's and passwords as before. Only those Wyze devices I listed above wouldn't auto connect after bringing the AX86U in service.

To confirm, after setting up your Wyze Cam2 and have it connected, you were able to set the AX86U's WAN | DNS Privacy Protocol setting back to DoT?

I just read about NAT acceleration being automatically disabled by the f/w in another Thread with Wireguard being used. WG is the primary reason I am testing this stock Beta f/w.

If your idea is to run network wide VPN, no home router will come close to Gigabit speeds. You can get 350-400Mbps at best using WireGuard and to fast local server only. For more you'll need x86 hardware.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!