What's new

Beta ASUS RT-AX86U/S Series Firmware version 9.0.0.4.388.20477 (2022/08/09)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

In case it wasn't working as expected and Broadcom fixed the drivers to obey DFS regulations better, your 160MHz issue is permanent. The situation with 160MHz wide channel on 5GHz is similar to 40MHz wide channel on 2.4GHz - it's an available option, but not guaranteed. Also, due to some geopolitical situations you may have more RF activity around your place. Whatever was working before may no longer work.

Test this beta and see if there are any Wi-Fi performance differences in your environment. This is the main purpose of this release - testing.
There needs be some tweakn from Asus though...There is no way 160 should auto flake off within minutes. Somethings up since the last driver update.

No wonder. The two routers are almost identical hardware and beta firmware release is the same version number.

Why AX88U folks are crashing our party? Where is the Security? :)
:) :) While I own RT-AX88U, my AiMesh Router, I also have RT-AX86S as AiMesh node; by the way I started the first post for the party ;);)

There needs be some tweakn from Asus though...There is no way 160 should auto flake off within minutes. Somethings up since the last driver update.

Exactly. Years of behavior on my AX88U and then months of behavior on my AX86U suddenly changed.

Hard to believe that it would go from locked on 160 all the time, to never being able to achieve 160, because it was “broken” before and now suddenly it works.

Too bad no one from Asus is ever in these forums to enlighten us.

Checked the Android Asus app on my phone and tablet. Neither showed the USB2 drive in the router.
bbunge,
Looks like it only works on the recent Asus Router iOS App.
I do not have Android phone to try, just a thought, can you try uninstalling the Android Asus Router App from your phone and re-installing it afresh to see if it makes any difference.

bbunge,
Looks like it only works on the recent Asus Router iOS App.
I do not have Android phone to try, just a thought, can you try uninstalling the Android Asus Router App from your phone and re-installing it afresh to see if it makes any difference.
All my devices are up to date. the USB2 connected device does not show on iOS or Android.

However, a tethered Android 11 phone with Dual WAN enabled in the router does show on the router status page.

Is it worth trying this Beta update to test the Wireguard VPN?

Or should I stick with Merlin Firmware?

As someone who has done it, I would say it depends on:

- the complexity of your network

- your skill level

If they are both “high”, probably stick with Merlin.

Actually I've had good success with Wireguard on the beta firmware. This is my first try with Wireguard as having used OpenVPN for years. I am only using Wireguard to connect to my home network with my laptop, phone and tablet. I also use InstantGuard successfully.
OpenVPN server on the Beta? Have had problems getting it to accept connections and the VPN Fusion OpenVPN gave me routing conflict errors. I did test PPTP VPN Fusion client successfully with just one of my PC's selected.

Not having OpenVPN working is not a show stopper for me as Wireguard works and I am not planning on being far from home in the next couple of months.

As for comparing this to Merlin... the beta has fewer features but I feel it performs better and is just as secure as Merlin. I would encourage you to give it a try!

32GB Sandisk Ultra Flair USB 3.0 with ports in USB 2.0 mode here.
I tried with SanDisk USB3 with both USB 2 and 3 mode. No soap either way.

OpenVPN Server issues.
As a followup and double check on my sanity, I took my router back to firmware 386.49599 this morning, set up the OpenVPN server, exported the config file and set up the OpenVPN client on my Android phone with the new config. Testing the connection I was able to successfully connect the phone client to the router OpenVPN server over a cell connection. Next, I upgraded to beta 388.20477. Without making any changes I tried to connect the phone client to the router OpenVPN server and failed. Noticed these errors in the client log:
Code:
2022-08-12 08:33:53 Options error: Unrecognized option or missing or extra parameter(s) in [PUSH-OPTIONS]:5: block-outside-dns (2.6_master)
2022-08-12 08:33:53 OPTIONS IMPORT: timers and/or timeouts modified
2022-08-12 08:33:53 OPTIONS IMPORT: --ifconfig/up options modified
2022-08-12 08:33:53 OPTIONS IMPORT: route options modified
2022-08-12 08:33:53 OPTIONS IMPORT: --ip-win32 and/or --dhcp-option options modified
2022-08-12 08:33:53 OPTIONS IMPORT: peer-id set
2022-08-12 08:33:53 OPTIONS ERROR: failed to negotiate cipher with server.  Add the server's cipher ('AES-128-CBC') to --data-ciphers (currently 'AES-256-GCM:AES-128-GCM:CHACHA20-POLY1305') if you want to connect to this server.
2022-08-12 08:33:53 Waiting 2s seconds between connection attempt
2022-08-12 08:33:53 ERROR: Failed to apply push options
2022-08-12 08:33:53 Failed to open tun/tap interface
2022-08-12 08:33:53 TCP/UDP: Closing socket
Sent a feedback report to Asus.
InstantGuard still works and Wireguard server was configured and connected successfully.

I have never used the beta. Are the beta versions of Asus polished, stable?
This version is pretty good but there are a couple of minor bugs. OpenVPN server has some issues but I've successfully switched to Wireguard. there are a couple of very minor graphical bugs as well. Router operation, guest WIFI and WIFI all work well for me even switching up to 160 MHz when a client connects that uses 160 MHz.
Save the settings of your current version before you upgrade so you can roll back if needed.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!