What's new

ASUS RT-AX86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Grimm

Regular Contributor
Hi All, Ive been using the ASUS RT-AC86U for a number of years now, and merlin firmware, I needed the 86U for the onboard VPN chips, the one before the 86U was very slow. So now im looking at wifi 6, I have a few devices that can use it, and time to move on I suppose.

So Ive done some research except the VPN setup with the merlin farmwear, Im guessing its going to be the same setup?

So I get the ASUS RT-AX86U, install the merlin farmwear, then upload the NordVpn setup file Ive downloaded, perhaps the same one I used in the old ASUS RT-AC86U, in London, it does work as fast with or without the VPN on

So Am I on the right track, can the merlin farmwear give me the same setup in the new RT-AX86U as it is in the old RT-AC86U, Im looking forward to using wifi 6 and later perhaps 6e and the better performance on an upgraded ASUS RT-AC86U perhaps.

Did I get anything wrong?

ASUS RT-AX86U
1, merlin farmwear
2, VPN setup the same as before using NordVpn
3, RT-AX86U does have VPN decoding chips, not browser

Thanks, I did join many years ago, but another 3 laptops later and forgot everything

No, I dont need the router for game playing

Pat

Go with openvpn with udp protocol. Maybe add
Code:
auth-nocache
to your custom configuration as that’s the only error/warning I get in syslog.

Forgot to say, nordvpn has the text to enter into the box on there setup for 86u

Ive paid for nordvpn upto 2024, special price, always good for me.

Not what i wanted to know though
Sure :)
Any Merlin related stuff is better to post on the correct Merlin or Merlin-AddOns thread. Better response there ;)

Enjoy your new AX86U

I dont have one yet, think you read my post too fast
Yea it is a good upgrade. Should be same setting with extra configurations that you can control like VPN Director etc

ASUS RT-AX86U
1, merlin farmwear ok????
2, VPN setup the same as before using NordVpn????
3, RT-AX86U does have VPN decoding chips, not browser?????

ASUS RT-AX86U
1, merlin farmwear ok????
2, VPN setup the same as before using NordVpn????
3, RT-AX86U does have VPN decoding chips, not browser?????

1.Yes (make sure you follow guide to flashing Merlin’s Firmware, you’d be in trouble with farmwear) see @L&LD guides.
2. Yes
3. Yes

If your AC86U is working properly, don't rush for AX86U. It has some firmware issues lately and there is a chance your AC86U provides better Wi-Fi coverage. This is the case with the two Asus routers I have at the moment - AC86U and AX86U. There is a new AX86U Pro coming soon with updated hardware - faster CPU and different radios. There is a chance the old (current) model will be discontinued soon after.

1. latest Asuswrt-Merlin firmware not okay on this router, many reverted to previous versions
2. the same VPN setup and performance and NordVPN works well
3. the same CPU cores as AC86U, ARMv8 + AES (not separate "chips", part of the CPU core)

4. You may get weaker Wi-Fi with less wall penetration. I have 4-6dBm less sensitive radios on AX86U compared to AC86U.

If your AC86U is working properly, don't rush for AX86U. It has some firmware issues lately and there is a chance your AC86U provides better Wi-Fi coverage. This is the case with the two Asus routers I have at the moment - AC86U and AX86U. There is a new AX86U Pro coming soon with updated hardware - faster CPU and different radios. There is a chance the old (current) model will be discontinued soon after.

1. latest Asuswrt-Merlin firmware not okay on this router, many reverted to previous versions
2. the same VPN setup and performance and NordVPN works well
3. the same CPU cores as AC86U, ARMv8 + AES (not separate "chips", part of the CPU core)

4. You may get weaker Wi-Fi with less wall penetration. I have 4-6dBm less sensitive radios on AX86U compared to AC86U.
thanks, i had read some of those things, but wanted to here it from a user

BTW, I have 4 x 86U, but no point in talking about those, the new router was for a heavy loaded one, that or join 2 together, without loosing all my custom names on main router, so one upstairs and one downstairs, or wifi 6 :)

Read the Asuswrt-Merlin release thread. Most people with issues are AX86U owners:

Look at feedback in the new Asuswrt thread as well:

If you want to join the AX86U beta testers group and pay for the membership - go ahead.

well you said the pro was out soon but its already there on Amazon £261

ASUS RT-AX86U Pro Dual Band WiFi 6 Gaming Router, WiFi 6 802.11ax, Mobile Game Mode, Safe Browsing, Enhanced Security, Mesh WiFi support, Gaming Port, Gear Accelerator, Adaptive QoS, AURA RGB​

The description is wrong, copy/paste from AX82U. As I said - no need to rush coming from AC86U.

well i do need more connections that's the problem, ive got rid of wifi smart plugs and use zigbee, but i have one router with a lot of connections, none use vpn, but my laptops or phone need the vpn for visiting the router, stop anything in background going open, and now and then p2p downloads.

So ill need to join 2 86Us instead?

I don't know what do you mean by "join 2 86Us together", but BCM4906 CPU in AC86U has exactly the same cores as BCM4908 in AX86U (current model). The new router won't improve your "connections" much - the routing performance is the same and done on single core, the number of supported active clients per radio is the same as well. You won't get "Wow!" improvement from your investment.

2x AC86U in AiMesh will provide more coverage and support more devices than 1x AX86U, if that's your question. The best performance is when the two routers are wired together and not wireless. Even better performance is Router + Access Point on different Wi-Fi channels, not AiMesh.