What's new

[Asus RT-AX88U] Experiences & Discussion

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

New ASUS firmware Version 3.0.0.4.384.45948

Security Fix
- Fixed CVE-2018-20334
- Fixed CVE-2018-20336
- Fixed null pointer issue. Thanks for CodeBreaker of STARLabs’ contribution.

New Feature
- Support WAN Aggregation under DHCP and Static IP WAN connection type.
This feature combines two gigabit networks to increase bandwidth up to 2 Gigabytes. Please note that the modem connects to RT-AX88U must support LACP-IEEE 802.3ad.

Improvement
- Improved RT-AX88U and Samsung® S10 series connection performance.

Bug Fix
- Fixed Network Map related issues.
- Fixed AiMesh connection issue between GT-AX11000 and RT-AX88U.
- Fixed Download Master icon disappear issue.
- Fixed LAN PC cannot find RT-AX88U in My Network Places when enabling Samba service.
- Fixed IPv6 pass-through issue
- Fixed dual-wan issue

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Networking/RT-AX88U/HelpDesk_Download/

I don't see any MU-Mimo setting in new firmware on RT-AC68.

Suspect you posted this in the wrong forum.

This topic is for the RT-AX88U.

Security Fix
- Fixed CVE-2018-20334
- Fixed CVE-2018-20336

New Feature
This feature combines two gigabit networks to increase bandwidth up to 2 Gigabytes. Please note that the modem connects to RT-AX88U must support LACP-IEEE 802.3ad.

Improvement

Bug Fix
- Fixed LAN PC cannot find RT-AX88U in My Network Places when enabling Samba service.
- Fixed dual-wan issue

They sure sound good bugs to fix. I wonder if they have released the GPL

Looks like Asus might finally be migrating the RT-AX88U back to the main branch along other models.

That will save me a LOT of headaches in the future. Just surprised it's based on what seem to be an older codebase (45xxx).

Security Fix
- Fixed CVE-2018-20334
- Fixed CVE-2018-20336

New Feature

Improvement

Bug Fix
- Fixed dual-wan issue

ASUS has now pulled this firmware. Unsure why.

ASUS has now pulled this firmware. Unsure why.
Possibly because it had the wrong filename.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

@RMerlin and others :
A few weeks have passed by, new 384.10 final out and i tested my router ax88u again.
As for the reply and thanks of others here, the AX88U does not use VLAN, u can see that in TOOLS.
I have the RT-AC3200 and that one does it all.
So as i dont want to waste my AX88U i have set it as an access point for now.
Do you think the AX88U will ever get this VLAN support as the AC3200 does???
What other Router from Asus supports BOTH VLAN and AIMesh ? Përhaps if i find a compatible one with the AX88U?
Or is it just a matter of waiting?

see image of the VLAN support on the AC3200

So to be brief : people with Telenet AND chromecast/plex do NOT buy the AX88U.

Thanks guys !
Tom

Attachments

• 2019-03-27 15_07_54-ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC3200 - System Information.jpg
    2019-03-27 15_07_54-ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC3200 - System Information.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 680
Hi,

I purchased RT-AX88U recently, mostly to improve speed of OpenVPN server. Before that I've used RT-AC87U. I choose RT-AX88U because I like my previous router and like Merlin's firmware.
And I've seen confirmation from users that RT-AX88U real OpenVPN speed up to 200 mbit/s. It is more than sufficient for me, because I have 100 mbit/s ISP connection. But the problem is that my OpenVPN connection is really slow, it is not even close to 100 mbit. I receive only 8-10 mbit download speed from my LAN to external VPN client and about 20-30 mbit upload speed. It is all about the same that RT-AC87U can do. It seems that the problem not with router itself, but maybe with setting (router cpu only load for 5-7% during VPN transfer). But I don't understand what I need to change. Maybe the problem with vpn connection transfer speed via mobile network? Because I use mobile network at clients end. But I have about 80-100 mbit speed via mobile network without VPN. It seems strange if mobile provider cuts bandwidth dedicated for VPN traffic. Here is my config on router .
Will be grateful for any ideas and help.
advanced.jpg

basic.jpg

My LAN has addresses 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.255

Last edited:
I am having an issue but I was also having this issue with the AC3100.
My 5Ghz network seems to be unstable sometimes, but it only happens when I'm playing a multiplayer game on my desktop which is wired to the ASUS. Devices that are connected on the 5Ghz will lose connection.

I've tried various QOS customize settings and the issue still persists.

Airtime Fairness is OFF
Implicit Beamforming is OFF

Any ideas?

Hey RT-AX88U owners,

I got a question regarding what kind of WAN<->LAN speed's to expect with this router, when the CPU is handling everything? With my current RT-AC3100, with the CPU handling all traffic. The max WAN<->LAN speed's I see is around 250-270mbps. So I'm curious with this router having a quad core cpu in it. How close to gigabit speed's can it get with the CPU handling all traffic? I know this is likely something @RMerlin can answer, but figured I would ask here.

Update to my OpenVPN issue. Today I tested another connection where my VPN client was not in mobile network but in another wired ISP with 100mbps channel. I have 26mbps download from Asus RT-AX88U to VPN client, and about 13mbps upload. Asus CPU usage (working core) not more than 15-18%, usally 8-10%.
So, situation changes: download is faster, upload is slower than in case LTE client end. But in any case VPN throughput is very low compared to 100 mbps ISP throughput.
I am a little disappointed.

Merlin: Any idea how to get AX88U link aggregation working on Rogers ISP with the Hitron modem?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!