What's new

[Asus RT-AX88U] Experiences & Discussion

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

--- moved to Merlin .16 thread where it was more relevant ----

Last edited:
Yeah pretty much all Amazon devices like Fire Stick, Alexa etc can't use certain 5Ghz channels but they will use 36-48 and 149-165 from memory. This is the same on all routers not just ASUS.
I can confirm that. I had some issues in the past trying to connect an echo sub and paring some echo studios with the fire tv 4k using the 5Ghz band. The reason was that I was using channel 100. But using the channel 48 everything is going fine with the echo devices and the fire tv 4k stick.

I have 2 rt-ax88u. One of them as an Aimesh node.

Recently I have changed the the time settings from the main rt-ax88u (the Aimesh router) because I saw they were wrong (it was showing one hour later than the real time). This was due an error in the daylight saving time settings. Like it is shown in the post https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...-is-different-from-your-locale-setting.46033/
In my case, the saving time was set on the 2 week, but in Spain it should be set in the last week of the 3rd and 1oth month. So I have changed them to the week 5.

But it seems the Aimesh node has not updated its own time settings and when it is written one event (from the Aimesh node) at the log it is written in a different time than the events coming from the main rt-ax88u.

Is there any way to update time settings at the node?

I am using 384.15 Merlin Firmware and some scripts (Skynet, Diversion, Scribe and Uiscribe).

SOLVED. I powercycled de router and the node, and once they restarted ... both seems to work under the same time.

Last edited:
I installed latest Merlin firmware after using Asus firmware on my RT-AX88U and I'm surprised to see that measuring with Oakla speedtest the speed on 2.4 and 5 GHz is about half the speed I had...

I installed Merlin over the latest Asus firmware without a factory reset...is that the cause...Or should I adjust some parameters voor more speed...

Hoping to get advice...thanks in advance.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-T580 met Tapatalk

I installed latest Merlin firmware after using Asus firmware on my RT-AX88U and I'm surprised to see that measuring with Oakla speedtest the speed on 2.4 and 5 GHz is about half the speed I had...

I installed Merlin over the latest Asus firmware without a factory reset...is that the cause...Or should I adjust some parameters voor more speed...

Hoping to get advice...thanks in advance.

Whenever you change between Asus and Asus Merlin, a factory reset should be done. That being said wireless components are same between both firmware.

How much speed drop you are observing?

Whenever you change between Asus and Asus Merlin, a factory reset should be done. That being said wireless components are same between both firmware.

Had 250 MB internet speed, now about 120 mb

I follow your advice, thank you!

I follow your advice, thank you!

Verify that the upgrade has not messed up your control channel selection. While upgrading to one of the latest Merlin versions my control channel setting was changed to 'auto' and the router ended up using the same channel my access point was using.. which caused some degraded performance due to channel congestion.

@RMerlin

1 issues I encountered with the latest 384.15 firmware:
  • I have a secondary router RT-AC88U. And that also runs your 384.15 firmware. Now, when I add that as an AIMESH node, everything works fine. Issue is when one of the node (primary being RT-AX88U and secondary being RT-AC88U) reboots, then the primary node - RT-AX88U loses it's 5 GHz radio. None of my clients are able to use it. Tried to turn off & turn on within the firmware page (under wireless -> professional) but to no avail. The only way I can get this to work right now is when I remove the secondary AIMESH node and then add it once again.
And this was working earlier just fine....rebooting either node would never lead to loss of 5GHz radio coverage like this.

Can you please help resolve this issue?

Thanks.

Last edited:
@RMerlin

1 issues I encountered with the latest 384.15 firmware:
  • I have a secondary router RT-AC88U. And that also runs your 384.15 firmware. Now, when I add that as an AIMESH node, everything works fine. Issue is when one of the node (primary being RT-AX88U and secondary being RT-AC88U) reboots, then the primary node - RT-AX88U loses it's 5 GHz radio. None of my clients are able to use it. Tried to turn off & turn on within the firmware page (under wireless -> professional) but to no avail. The only way I can get this to work right now is when I remove the secondary AIMESH node and then add it once again.
And this was working earlier just fine....rebooting either node would never lead to loss of 5GHz radio coverage like this.

Can you please help resolve this issue?

Thanks.

You should be posting this in the 384.15 firmware thread and not in this general one.

You should be posting this in the 384.15 firmware thread and not in this general one.
Sorry for not mentioning this earlier. I just couldn't find the appropriate firmware forum for posting this...and hence posted here. Do you know the appropriate place? If yes, I could move it there.

Sorry for not mentioning this earlier. I just couldn't find the appropriate firmware forum for posting this...and hence posted here. Do you know the appropriate place? If yes, I could move it there.
Well, I am happy to report that after upgrading my firmware to 384.16, the issue seems resolved. Reboots on my Aimesh node (rt-ac88u) no longer knocks off my 5GHz on my main route (rt-ax88u).

Thank you for the release @RMerlin

Since upgrading to 384.16 (from .14), "802.11ax / Wi-Fi 6 mode" re-enables itself on the 2.4GHz band every restart. Fine on the 5GHz band, though. The 384.16 firmware thread has been locked so I'm asking here - anyone else seen this? Otherwise everything seems great, so for now I'll just manually disable it every time it restarts, and will try 384.17 when it's stable.

@imathew is this also true after a full reset/Initialize all settings process? When was the last time you did a full reset?

@L&LD Not since the previous firmware (384.14), and I skipped .15 entirely. A full reset will be my next step but I wanted to know if it was a known issue before I did. As it is I may just continue to live with it, because putting my settings back into the router is a chore.

@imathew you may want to check the changelogs from your version to the latest, there was a driver update if I recall for the 'AX88U. A chore is 'play' when you get a stable router out of it. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!