What's new

[Asus RT-AX88U] Experiences & Discussion

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The reason you don't use auto is to minimize interference from other close by networks using the same channels.

If you want to continue to use Merlin's firmware I suggest using doing the site survey and find a channel least used in your area and set it.

New Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.384_6436-g6d47c51 Released on WebGUI

Very early days so far but i have just got the AX88U running the above firmware. Seems good, have disabled all the HE frames stuff as i don't need AX yet. All my devices connected fine, even some pretty old stuff, Alexa's, Google Mini etc. The range seems better than my RT-AC88U too which is good. Need to give it a good run to make sure there are no issues.

Very early days so far but i have just got the AX88U running the above firmware. Seems good, have disabled all the HE frames stuff as i don't need AX yet. All my devices connected fine, even some pretty old stuff, Alexa's, Google Mini etc. The range seems better than my RT-AC88U too which is good. Need to give it a good run to make sure there are no issues.

Hi, do you see entries similar to "FPM Pool 1: invalid token 0x21950000 freed" in the system log? just wondering if these have been fixed...

Still early days but I love this router. Consistently better range and (according to Wi-Fi SweetSpots) and my devices, higher throughput on both 2.4 and 5Ghz radios than my RT-AC88U. Really pleased and everything seems stable. Probably overkill for what I do but hey. Just need to get some AX devices now. Fingers crossed it continues this way.

Hi.

I exported my config from my ac88u and imported into my new ax88u.
Problems show up very soon and I noticed devices dropping 2.4 and 5G randomly

I reconfigure wifi settings and tried everything, but problems was still there.

I finally solved it by doing a factory reset (removing all traces of Merlin config) and installed the latest Asus firmware.

I am not sure if the factory reset would make the Merlin be stable or not, but I just gave up on Merlin at that point.

Now everything is rock solid, but running Asus firmware. I got mixed feeling but I leave it like this for now. (I been using Merlin for many years and i love it, but for my AX I just had to give up.)
I have standard configuration , i haven't needed to mix with channels or anything and yes I have now AX activated on 2.4 and 5)

Just received my 88u, promptly uploaded the Merlin 384.13 firmware and proceeded to tweak the settings.

When i try to set my 5Ghz WIFI settings to anything else than the default parameters, the noise (system log) drops from -92 to -79 dBm.

Does this mean i cannot change my control channel without a significant loss of signal ?

Personal settings: -80 dBm
7vZTPRT.jpg

Stock: -97 dBm
b8jun94.jpg

Just received my 88u, promptly uploaded the Merlin 384.13 firmware and proceeded to tweak the settings.

When i try to set my 5Ghz WIFI settings to anything else than the default parameters, the noise (system log) drops from -92 to -79 dBm.

Don't crosspost the same question in multiple posts, it will only scatter any discussions all over the place.

The reason you don't use auto is to minimize interference from other close by networks using the same channels.

If you want to continue to use Merlin's firmware I suggest using doing the site survey and find a channel least used in your area and set it.

I thought that the auto setting did exactly that for you (or at least sets a channel with minimum interference). Is this not the case?

Thanks,

HB

Really? Mine has been solid for nearly a month now. Are you running any specific config or is it all out of the box?
Any alteration to the default (out of of the box) wifi settings would deteriorate the signal.

I'll probably buy another in a few months.

22 pages..... whew....

I'm having an issue that i haven't seen in any of the RT-ax88U forums, so I'm throwing it out there for everyone. Long story short, I replaced a rt-AC68u with a new RT-ax88u. I did this because the ac68u never really had the back end to handle the gig connection that I have from AT&T. I would routinely get 600/600 through the router (with everything turned off), and the CPU would peg, so I replaced it with something that had more horsepower. Without the old router (directly through the NVG599), I would get 950/950 pretty regularly. The rt-ax88u is now in place, and again, with everything off, I'm seeing about 900 down, which is great. However, the upload refuses to move up past 300. I've read about the issues with DMZ+, and this gateway doesn't use that functionality, but instead does true passthrough. So here I am. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi, I would first check that you have hardware acceleration enabled (see in the Tools menu page if you have Runner and Flow Cache enabled - you may need to switch QoS off for this). Then and in order to debug I'd try to switch off AIProtection features and make sure also that you are testing direct through cable interface, and also try at different times of the day.. some times network providers do give you shared bandwith with your neighbours and the 1Gbps is really a *maximum*, giving also priority to downloads..

Hi, I would first check that you have hardware acceleration enabled (see in the Tools menu page if you have Runner and Flow Cache enabled - you may need to switch QoS off for this). Then and in order to debug I'd try to switch off AIProtection features and make sure also that you are testing direct through cable interface, and also try at different times of the day.. some times network providers do give you shared bandwith with your neighbours and the 1Gbps is really a *maximum*, giving also priority to downloads..

Since he looks to be on a fiber connection he will have less of an issue with Bandwidth sharing compared to someone on cable, i'm on fiber and have no issues getting full speed doesn't matter what time of the day or night.

This should be fixable once he goes through all the settings.

Tell me, my router constantly reboots itself. 11/08/19 I update firmware it for stock, today it has already rebooted 2 times. Prior to this, on Merlin 384.13 and 384.14 alpha restarts began after 5 days. Сarry in service? Reset did before and after flashing. I’ve been at war with him for a month.

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    171.6 KB · Views: 333

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!