What's new

[Asus RT-AX88U] Experiences & Discussion

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi thiggins,

The official WiFi 6 certified firmware is out :)

ASUS RT-AX88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.7756

- Enhanced the Wi-Fi 6 performance with Apple® iPhone11, Samsung® S10.
- Supported WPA3
- Supported OFDMA
- Supported 802.11k and 802.11v
- Fixed Let's encrypt register related bugs.
- Fixed connection issues between Android and RT-AX88U IPSec VPN server.
- Improved system stability.

@ ~> https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AX88U/FW_RT_AX88U_30043847756.zip

Enjoy ;)

Last edited:
On Nov 18,2019 in this thread there was a post about the WiFi 6 certification for the RT-AX88u. Just saw in the post before mine that the Wi-Fi 6 certified firmware was released. My question is regarding the hardware version that was used for certification. Hardware version from the certificate:

Model: RT-AX88U
Product: A1.1, Wifi Component: B1

I recently saw the RT-ax88u at my local BestBuy and here is the info from product label on the box:
H/W Ver A1
MFG year 2019
No information about the Wi-Fi component version

Does anybody know what the difference is between hardware version A1 and A1.1?
Is the hardware version of the Wi-Fi component (B1) used for certification the same version used in products that are shipping now?

As recently posted there is very attractive Black Friday pricing from Newegg for this router. Would be nice to know that current shipping products will be W-Fi 6 certified with a simple firmware update

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Thank you. Why is this not posted yet on the product support page?

Asus are notoriously slow in updating the pages for each region :p

Currently it shows for me in AU but not US (can check yourself via modifying the URL).

o0gM8Cr.png

Thank you. Why is this not posted yet on the product support page?

Typically takes about 24 hours for updates to fully propagate through their server farms in all countries.

Asus are notoriously slow in updating the pages for each region :p

Currently it shows for me in AU but not US (can check yourself via modifying the URL)
Thanks. I've been checking the WW site.

Hopefully a GPL release for this isn't too long of a wait.

Maybe we see this in 384.15 :)

On Nov 18,2019 in this thread there was a post about the WiFi 6 certification for the RT-AX88u. Just saw in the post before mine that the Wi-Fi 6 certified firmware was released. My question is regarding the hardware version that was used for certification. Hardware version from the certificate:

Product: A1.1, Wifi Component: B1

I recently saw the RT-ax88u at my local BestBuy and here is the info from product label on the box:
H/W Ver A1
MFG year 2019
No information about the Wi-Fi component version

Does anybody know what the difference is between hardware version A1 and A1.1?
Is the hardware version of the Wi-Fi component (B1) used for certification the same version used in products that are shipping now?

As recently posted there is very attractive Black Friday pricing from Newegg for this router. Would be nice to know that current shipping products will be W-Fi 6 certified with a simple firmware update

Thanks,
Steve
Ohh bugger, I had purchased RT-AX88U back in May 2019 (May 2019 Manufacture date) and it's hardware Revision was A1. Yesterday I got another RT-AX88U (November 2019 Manufacture date) and it hardware Revision is A1.1
Now I have A1 as main router and A1.1 in mesh mode. TBH, my A1 model was rock stable for 60 days and I restarted it because of insecurities that how come Asus Router is lasting this long without any issue? :p
But since the version is A1 vs A1.1, I don't anticipate any drastic changes. Maybe we can ssh into it and find CPU or SOC revision if possible? @RMerlin can help.

Ohh bugger, I had purchased RT-AX88U back in May 2019 (May 2019 Manufacture date) and it's hardware Revision was A1. Yesterday I got another RT-AX88U (November 2019 Manufacture date) and it hardware Revision is A1.1
Now I have A1 as main router and A1.1 in mesh mode. TBH, my A1 model was rock stable for 60 days and I restarted it because of insecurities that how come Asus Router is lasting this long without any issue? :p
But since the version is A1 vs A1.1, I don't anticipate any drastic changes. Maybe we can ssh into it and find CPU or SOC revision if possible? @RMerlin can help.

One (rather obvious) difference I noticed is that the A1 was assembled in China, whereas the A1.1 was assembled in Vietnam.

Both have been very stable and seem to work the same with our Intel - Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650x network adapters. Currently using the A1 as the main, with the A1.1 as a wired access point.

It would be interesting to learn if there are any differences. Both currently are running firmware version 3.0.0.4.384_7756.

I'm curious also but going to assume its something very minor.

I'm on a A1 which I bought from bestbuy like 4 months ago.

Oh cool how do i setup wpa3 ? my p10 lite asks for certificate and way more info when trying to connect

Is your router by any chance setup with WPA3 Enterprise. If so that would make sense. Check if it is set to WPA3 Personal.

One (rather obvious) difference I noticed is that the A1 was assembled in China, whereas the A1.1 was assembled in Vietnam.

Both have been very stable and seem to work the same with our Intel - Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650x network adapters. Currently using the A1 as the main, with the A1.1 as a wired access point.

It would be interesting to learn if there are any differences. Both currently are running firmware version 3.0.0.4.384_7756.
Both A1 and A1.1 boxes here have written Made in China on them.

Is your router by any chance setup with WPA3 Enterprise. If so that would make sense. Check if it is set to WPA3 Personal.
There is no WPA3 Enterprise support in RT-AX88U yet. He must have tried to setup WPA2 Enterprise by mistake.
TBH I loved WPA2 Enterprise when I set up my QNAP NAS as Radius Authentication server. But then my LG OLED, Denon Receiver and Smart Bulbs don't support it. So kinda useless for home use.

Last edited:
Both A1 and A1.1 boxes here have written Made in China on them.

Interesting, thanks for following up.

I purchased both this month (Nov 2019), the China assembled A1 from Micro Center, the Vietnam assembled A1.1 from Newegg, purchased a week later.

Now I'm really curious about any differences.

Holiday greetings to all!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!