What's new

[Asus RT-AX88U] Experiences & Discussion

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@Viktar Hushchynski
Can you install the latest official firmware from Asus? Make sure that you perform factory reset and configure your router from scratch. For Wifi, don't change any default settings except set 5Ghz channel to 40 and width as 160 Mhz. 2.4Ghz cahnnel to 11 and width to 40 Mhz.

@Viktar Hushchynski
Can you install the latest official firmware from Asus? Make sure that you perform factory reset and configure your router from scratch. For Wifi, don't change any default settings except set 5Ghz channel to 40 and width as 160 Mhz. 2.4Ghz cahnnel to 11 and width to 40 Mhz.

It always depends on your own localization (other wifi networks, ..)
How can you "prescribe" channel and frequency settings?
If he has a lot of 2.4GHz networks in the area, 40MHz is
inappropriate...for example

I'm currently on stock firmware for few weeks now. It seems a bit better. Less connection drops, ping to gateway is more stable. Sometimes having some IP collision (I believe, but not sure how to check) when node is not able to assign IP via dhcp to the pc connected to it - so I did manual assignment. Will see how this work. But overall connection is more stable.

1596764637534.png

so I got the router this morning, it was very easy to setup and even the VPN client was so simple, just a matter of entering my server and username / pass.
I got way more speed in LT2P vs PPTP. PPTP = 40 MB/Down while L2TP gave me the full 600 MB down/200MB up which I get from my ISP normally.
Not one single disconneection.

The range is average, cannot access the WiFi network from the 2nd floor but I wasn't expecting to anyway.

Overall, very happy with this router and for the price, it's amazing. Puts my previous TP-Link Archer C5400X which cost double what this one costs to shame.

Anyone else using an 802.11ax Intel AX200 2x2 m.2 laptop WiFi adapter or similar?

Initially it connects at 2.4gbps, but after a few days router uptime, it will only connect at 1.2gbps (client connection reduces from 160mhz to 80mhz according to Merlin firmware wireless log). A router power cycle restores it to 2.4gbps 160mhz.

Anyone else using an 802.11ax Intel AX200 2x2 m.2 laptop WiFi adapter or similar?

Initially it connects at 2.4gbps, but after a few days router uptime, it will only connect at 1.2gbps (client connection reduces from 160mhz to 80mhz according to Merlin firmware wireless log). A router power cycle restores it to 2.4gbps 160mhz.
I'm using it with my Alienware Area-51m R2 which has a Killer 1650X WLAN card which is the exact same cars as yours but just re-branded from Killer. 0 issues here. I stopped using Merlin firmware because they're very buggy. Last 2 Merlin firmwares I tried would constantly keep disconnecting my VPN client and if I'd reboot it would forget the connection that I saved so I had to re-create it every time I reboot the router. 0 issues on the ASUS firmware. I had to do a full 30-30-30 reset though after going back to the ASUS firmware.

I am experiencing a strange compatibility issue with the Intel AX200 wireless adapter.

When I connect to my AX88U with a Bluetooth mouse connected:

• If I connect via 2.4GHz, my "receive" speed is always capped at 144Mbps no matter what. However, "transmit" speed is ok at 574Mbps.
  • If I connect via 5GHz, if it's the first time my laptop is connecting to a network when it first boots, I get no issue and can get full 2402Mbps in both directions. However, if I connect to the 5Ghz network after connecting to some other network, I get the same issue where speed is capped at 144Mbps. Transmit speeds are 2402Mbps though.
I can reproduce this consistently with my laptop (a Lenovo ThinkPad X13) as well as on my desktop (i5-6600K with the AX200 running through a PCIe adapter). I notice this happens only on Wi-Fi 6 mode. However, it does not happen when I connect my computer to a Xiaomi AX3600 Wi-Fi 6 router.

I also noticed that if I roll back all the way to the older 21.40 and before drivers, I do not get this issue. With the latest drivers, I am experiencing the problem.

Does anyone experience this too? Just wondering if this is a firmware bug somewhere (in which case, not sure if the router or AX200 is to blame...) or is my router faulty or something. Thanks!

Hi all,
Just aquired a RT AX 88U and cannot update the firmware manually or otherwise.
Called Asus and they said it was a firmware issue and needs to be sent back.
It keep dropping the internet and the new firmware corrects this issue.

Is there a way to fix this myself?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

How are you trying to update?

Try manually downloading the latest version from their website, unzipping it, then manually updating through the web interface.

Hi,
I have a strange issue. Not sure if it's just my case or others are experiencing the same thing. I am on Merlin's latest firmware - 384.19. My 5GHz band is not visible to any of my clients if I set it to channel 128 on 160 MHz. The highest channel I can go is 64 in order for my devices to see it and connect to it, but in this way I use only the 80 MHz bandwidth. I have only 3 ax devices connecting to the router (2 iPhones and a barebone gaming laptop) and I initially thought that this is the way it is. But recently I have been to one of my friends that has the same router (AX88U) with stock firmware, and he has it set to 128 channel on 160 MHz. On his router both my laptop and my iPhone saw the network and connected without any issues. I checked the wireless log and they were both on 160 MHz. Very anxious, I got home, made a backup of my settings, cleared the nvram and did a manual reset afterwards just in case, installed the stock firmware, but I got the same results as before. Attached some screenshots with my settings. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-21 100542.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-09-21 100542.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 391
  • Screenshot 2020-09-21 100627.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-09-21 100627.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 413
  • Screenshot 2020-09-21 101012.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-09-21 101012.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 363
How are you trying to update?

Try manually downloading the latest version from their website, unzipping it, then manually updating through the web interface.
Thanxs for your response;

I did manage to update the firmware but now my WS1001 Ambient weather station cant see the 2.4G wifi.
Solve one problem to get another LOL.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!