What's new

Asus RT-AX88U Firmware 3.0.0.4.384_7968

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KTD24

Occasional Visitor
Any one got the information of this release? I cannot see this on Asus website.

Screenshot_20191218-205236_ASUS Router.jpg

Code:
Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384_7968
- Release Note -

Bug fixes and improvement:
 1. Improve wireless compatibility.
 2. Improve wireless performance.
 3. AiProtection related issue fixes.
 4. Supports Amazon Wi-Fi simple setup : Helps you connect WSS supported devices to your Wi-Fi network and Alexa account in fewer steps. 
    Enabling this feature creates a simple setup network that supported devices can use to access Wi-Fi credentials saved in the Amazon Wi-Fi Locker.

Early days (30 minutes testing) - But looking good so far. Ping appears better, no 802.ac slowdown and ax devices good. I have yet to try 160MHz.

I ran into the WAN issue also. Just power cycled the modem then rebooted the router again and it came back up.

Wi-Fi connection to phone is interrupted with a new version 3.0.0.4.384_7968
The old version works fine 3.0.0.4.384.6436 2019/09/25

Tested devices and software versions
Model: RT-AX88U H/W Ver: A1 and RT-AX88U H/W Ver: A1.1
iPhone 7 ja 8+ ja 11 Pro MAX v.13.3

Anyone else having problems with over 5G (WiFi <> iPhone)?

Definitely a WAN issue here. Every other FW works fine.

Wan down for 5 good minutes upon boot/reboot/power cycle/factory default/whatever, then WAN up with this message:

WAN Connection: WAN was restored.

Edit:

Lots of syslog errors upon reboot;
Dec 19 06:58:42 kernel: ^[[0;33;41m[ERROR mcast] bcm_mcast_netlink_process_snoop_cfg,884: interface 22 could not be found^[[0m
Dec 19 06:58:42 kernel: ^[[0;33;41m[ERROR mcast] bcm_mcast_netlink_process_snoop_cfg,884: interface 22 could not be found^[[0m
52 WAN Connection: WAN was restored.

Last edited:
Definitely a WAN issue here. Every other FW works fine.

Wan down for 5 good minutes upon boot/reboot/power cycle/factory default/whatever, then WAN up with this message:

WAN Connection: WAN was restored.

Edit:

Lots of syslog errors upon reboot;
52 WAN Connection: WAN was restored.

We found a similar problem in Merlin 2-3 versions ago (WAN init taking too long.. in that case up to 20 minutes). Eric determined that it was a timing issue -was happening only in some scenarios where a VPN server was configured- and coded a patch for it.. so it could very well the same and now seeing the problem be a side effect of another change affecting boot timings instead of a new induced bug.

In any case I can see that the firmware is now up in Asus AX88 official US support page. For those of you experiencing problems, it woulf help to know if they happen after full reset-configuration of the router or if this was after a 'dirty upgrade'.

Last edited:
I got the same issue abt the WAN too. I had setup VPN server also. It took around 5 mins to up again. At first I was thinking, something was wrong then I intended to revert to old version then the WAN light just turned white again. :)

I got the same issue abt the WAN too. I had setup VPN server also. It took around 5 mins to up again. At first I was thinking, something was wrong then I intended to revert to old version then the WAN light just turned white again. :)
WAN issue here too. Also VPN showed connected but public ip was from my isp. Reverted back to 7756

We found a similar problem in Merlin 2-3 versions ago (WAN init taking too long.. in that case up to 20 minutes). Eric determined that it was a timing issue -was happening only in some scenarios where a VPN server was configured- and coded a patch for it.. so it could very well the same and now seeing the problem be a side effect of another change affecting boot timings instead of a new induced bug.

In any case I can see that the firmware is now up in Asus AX88 official US support page. For those of you experiencing problems, it woulf help to know if they happen after full reset-configuration of the router or if this was after a 'dirty upgrade'.

Have tried starting from both Merlin 384.15 Alpha and Asus stock 7756 previous to the flash.

Formatted JFFS partition at next boot.
Restored factory settings.
Flashed 7968 and proceded to a minimal setup.
*At this point WAN was already down*
Restored factory settings with new firmware installed.
Perform minimal setup (WIFI/WPA2)
*At this point WAN is still down*

No scripts running on the router
No VPN

Fiddling with the WAN settings, i sometimes had some success toggling the WAN off and on, but not 100% reliable.

So even this firmware is also bugged. My iPhones are randomly losing connectivity.
No WAN issues while using PPPOe to connect to my FTTH provider.

Hi I have been running RT-AX88U 3.0.0.4.384_7968 successfully for about 15 hours. I did a complete GUI Factory Reset via after uploading this firmware.

Good news
  • I Observed that using Asus DDNS with Let’s Encrypted finally working for this firmware for me.
Issues and work around, that works for me:
  • Like many who posted here, I too have experienced WAN connection issue a few times during the setup process, my workaround:
  • power OFF both RT-AX88U and my Fibre ONT for a few minutes
  • then power them ON and wait for a few minutes for the WAN Red LED to turn White
  • I tried about 2-3 times to get back my WAN Connection
  • Once done, it seems to be stable
  • Bandwidth of Wireless 5GHz Band was reduce to 20MHz
    • Manually set 5GHz Channel Control to 36 (if auto I get bandwidth of 20MHz)
    • Once done it seems to be stable, with bandwidth of 160MHz
  • I found some initial lag on my Safari Browser, don't know why ... after half an hour, browser becomes faster.
GUI Bug for Ai-Protection Alert preference pop up display:

Screenshot 2019-12-19 at 10.31.30 PM.png

For comparison:
  • I use Factory reset default for all, AiMesh Router (RT-AX88U version A1) & AiMesh Nodes (2x RT-AC86U)
  • with the following changes:
  • AiProtection - Network Protection: ON
  • Wireless 802.11ax / Wi-Fi 6 mode: Enable
  • Wireless Authentication Method: WPA2/WPA3
  • Wireless Control Channel and bandwidth: 2.4GH - 11 (20/40 MHz), 5.0GH - 36 (20/40/80/160 MHz)
  • LAN DHCP: restored about 40 devices from John’s script and SSH Copy
  • LAN Switch Control - Bonding/Link aggregation
  • WAN DDNS (Asus) - Let’s Encrypt
  • VPN - OpenVPN
PS: I am waiting to get back to Merlin's 384.15 beta when it is available

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!