What's new

Asus RT-AX88U Firmware 3.0.0.4.384_7968

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi guys

After the debacle of 7756 i was just wondering what people's thoughts are on the new release for the RT-AX88U.

Version 3.0.0.4.384.7968

Too early to tell? Things are stable for me at the moment on 6336 so not in any rush to upgrade.

Thanks

Interesting results on this firmware 7968.

On the last build 7756, AC clients would slow and the AX clients were fine.
On the current build 7768, the inverse is true -- AX clients are sometimes slow (extreme latency -- can't even pull up the router config page), AC clients are fine.

Reverting back to ye olde 6436.

Sigh. Yep. Its been buggy for me too. Periodic WAN drops. Periodic drops of the AC-86U node. IPhones & iPads had some drops, AC-86U kept dropping to 2.4, etc.

Went back to 6436 also.

WAN dropping all the time here as well. Reverted back to 7756 manually and all working fine again.

Had had a similar issue with my AC66U before I bought AX88U and there's loads of thread on the net about these exact issues, so Asus does have a problem somewhere.

Interesting results on this firmware 7968.

On the last build 7756, AC clients would slow and the AX clients were fine.
On the current build 7768, the inverse is true -- AX clients are sometimes slow (extreme latency -- can't even pull up the router config page), AC clients are fine.

Reverting back to ye olde 6436.

AC Clients have always been slow to much bloat

Surprisingly I am not having WAN issues. I use PPPOe to dial a connection btw.

i dont have Wan issues i also use PPPoe my wan only goes down when i change to cloudflare 2 ,3 secs then comes back up the only real problem is that a lot of the asus routers cant do full gigabit PPPoe very well they struggle with it exp with high speed fibre connections they do struggle here in nz

Yeah have had a couple of WAN issues after a reboot where it doesn't seem to want to come online without 3 reboots. I have downgraded back to 6436 and going to wait for a while. Not worth the hassle. ASUS what are you playing at?

Well this firmware has exactly the same ac wifi dropouts like the previous firmware. Just that the dropout happened after 3 days. All iPhones and Android devices in my house slowed down to a crawl and were not able to access even router home page.

Well this firmware has exactly the same ac wifi dropouts like the previous firmware. Just that the dropout happened after 3 days. All iPhones and Android devices in my house slowed down to a crawl and were not able to access even router home page.

even on a fiber connection ac wifi is like dial up web browsing is like dial up on tablets 5g wifi is no better

The best firmware to use is 6436 even if it has let’s encrypt issue. The two firmwares released after it have 5 Ghz ac clients connectivity issue where internet will slow down to a crawl even if it is connected at full 866 Mbps wifi link.

The best firmware to use is 6436 even if it has let’s encrypt issue. The two firmwares released after it have 5 Ghz ac clients connectivity issue where internet will slow down to a crawl even if it is connected at full 866 Mbps wifi link.
Agree and same.

Not having problems with the wifi but now my access of running a connection into NordVPN no longer seems to work. Frustrating as I was trying to view the release notes on this one from my phone and accidentally upgraded to this version.

I just dropped back to 7756 and the openvpn into Nord is working again!

Last edited:
tl;dr: the 7968 build doesn't work for AX clients, even if you start from scratch.

Had some spare time over the holiday and giving this firmware release another shot.

I did what some of the others suggested, and completely reset the three nodes (main AX88U, node AX88U, node AC86U). I rebuilt all the settings from scratch (did not restore previous settings).

Unfortunately, this suggestion changed absolutely nothing vs. the "dirty upgrade" (simply loading the new firmware without rebuilding settings). I'm afraid that suggestion to build from scratch is more placebo than practical.

After a half day of use, I observed my AX client (iPhone 11) slowed down to sub 2Mb/s (first attachment).

I disabled 160 MHz, then reconnected. It worked for a while, then slowed again on AX. I then disabled AX on 2.4Ghz as I don’t have any need on that band. After initially seeing good results, after an hour or so, speeds dropped again on my AX client to being very slow. I have since disabled AX on 5Ghz and now the AX client is connecting via AC with no slow down (second attachment).

So what is the point of this router?? I can’t use its trademark feature of AX connectivity with this latest 7968 build. Have to revert to the 6436 build, which doesn't have the Wifi Agile Multiband capability nor the certified Wifi 6 goodness.

One interesting observation: when using Wi-Fi analyzer, I noticed that the speed on 5Ghz was stuck at 40MHz channel bandwidth even through the setting was “20/40/80.”. Changing the control channel to a different channel and restarting finally set the router and nodes to 80MHz.

Attachments

• 059A4FA2-71F0-42AE-95BE-024D68C1A9F2.png
    059A4FA2-71F0-42AE-95BE-024D68C1A9F2.png
    50 KB · Views: 333
  • 677A7C84-5F02-4DC9-977C-1CB667AFE417.png
    677A7C84-5F02-4DC9-977C-1CB667AFE417.png
    58.8 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:
Any news of a newer build without WAN dropout issues?
Had my first WAN dropout issue. At work I am using a modem in bridge mode. ISP service was down for 10 mins and when it was back up, the red light was flashing on my RT-AX88U A1. Reboot fixed it. With previous 6436 build, this issue is not present.

Had my first WAN dropout issue. At work I am using a modem in bridge mode. ISP service was down for 10 mins and when it was back up, the red light was flashing on my RT-AX88U A1. Reboot fixed it. With previous 6436 build, this issue is not present.

Yeah, I went back to a previous build as well. My plan is to test doing a complete wipe and setting up the newest build from scratch, but need to find the time to do it first.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!