What's new

ASUS RT-AX88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.7756

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This firmware is totally crap. All my wifi devices slow down to a crawl everyday and then the Router's home page does not even open. Reboot fixes temporarily. Both my RT-AX88Us are set up as new by clearing NVRAM.
I am using WPA2 mode only to avoid bugs and other incompatibilities.

ASUS fixes one thing and breaks 2 other things. Beta Life forever.

Sloppy Development Q A testing not very good Asus starting to be like Microsoft they fix something and brake others along the way thats asus for you

After a very rapidly declining WAF ( :eek: vs :mad:) I decided to roll back to the previous firmware. Sorry guys, no time to test.
I wll keep an eye on this topic.
Same here. Rolled back to previous version on both the routers.

I'm having problems with this new firmware. Internet is like it is from the dark ages from time to time and the routers internal pages are not reachable or very slow at best.
Reboot fixes it for a couple of hours.
Anyone else experiencing this?
I have similar experience - This firmware is really bad. Slow/Frozen GUI, unusable Wifi etc. I then rolled back to the beta 384.6396 by mistake which reminded me how bad that was, also with similar issues plus complete disconnect of WAN. Now rolled back to 384.6436 which was fairly good/stable. I can't believe ASUS have not pulled the latest firmware. I don't have time these days to have my time wasted by what I can only described as complete incompetent on ASUSs part in releasing such rubbish and clearly not fit for purpose.

I have similar experience - This firmware is really bad. Slow/Frozen GUI, unusable Wifi etc. I then rolled back to the beta 384.6396 by mistake which reminded me how bad that was, also with similar issues plus complete disconnect of WAN. Now rolled back to 384.6436 which was fairly good/stable. I can't believe ASUS have not pulled the latest firmware. I don't have time these days to have my time wasted by what I can only described as complete incompetent on ASUSs part in releasing such rubbish and clearly not fit for purpose.

They get all this Hype about wifi 6 it goes to their heads it looks great on paper after every thing is finished things turn to custard because it does not do what it ment to do this is down to poor lazy devs at Asus putting out rubbish firmware and poor Q&A testing as well

They get all this Hype about wifi 6 it goes to their heads it looks great on paper after every thing is finished things turn to custard because it does not do what it ment to do this is down to poor lazy devs at Asus putting out rubbish firmware and poor Q&A testing as well
Yes disappointed with Wi-fi range and can’t change region on paper ax88u looked better than netgear ax80 now thinking made wrong choice

Netgear is just as bad

Yes Netgear is worse. Well guys you spend big money on AX at this early stage and then get pissed off. AX is only half baked you should of stayed with something cheap for now like the AX58U if you wanted to taste the AX world. o_O

Sloppy Development Q A testing not very good Asus starting to be like Microsoft they fix something and brake others along the way thats asus for you

I found if I used the newest firmware, all legacy AC 5g clients slowed to crawl. AX clients were fine.
If I used the older firmware, speed was ok, but 2.4 band would not appear for many clients.
Also, multiple legacy devices (including a new TCL smart TV) could not see/connect to 5g network.

I ended up sending this unit back after a few hours to tweaking. I may give it another shot in 6-12 months once the firmware is stable. Right now, my sense is that backwards compatablity really is not there.

Yes Netgear is worse. Well guys you spend big money on AX at this early stage and then get pissed off. AX is only half baked you should of stayed with something cheap for now like the AX58U if you wanted to taste the AX world. o_O

all the routers firmware are just as bad as well as the ax

If I used the older firmware, speed was ok, but 2.4 band would not appear for many clients.

This typically happens if you use channel 12 or 13, which aren't supported by all clients.

the ax 88ax does not have channels 12 or 13 the nz model does not have them

Depends on the region, and I know some people like to mess with their region without taking these kind of details into consideration, so it's worth mentioning. If some clients can see the SSID broadcast, then there must be a reason why some others aren't seeing it.

Depends on the region, and I know some people like to mess with their region without taking these kind of details into consideration, so it's worth mentioning. If some clients can see the SSID broadcast, then there must be a reason why some others aren't seeing

is sound's like SSID broadcast is been turned off then

Last edited by a moderator:
. I don't have time these days to have my time wasted
I wait for the reviews before deciding to update. I download and store every firmware release just in case, but only use ones with good reviews.

7756 running fine here. No slowdown.
Ax88 rev 1.1

Thankfully, this FW works, as every attempt to flash an older version automatically results in a rollback to 7756.
Never experienced this on my other routers, and there's no option to disable this behavior.

Ax88 rev 1.1

Thankfully, this FW works, as every attempt to flash an older version automatically results in a rollback to 7756.
Never experienced this on my other routers, and there's no option to disable this behavior.

Qos is broken in 7756

Qos is broken in 7756
Which is fine by me.
With a gigabit connection, i dont use qos.

Really. Wifi signal is strong, everything is fast as it should be.

Perhaps the different behavior is due to a different hardware revision, but on the rev 1.1, this firmware works really well.

New FW works fine for me, getting measured 800mbps on my 802.11ac MacBook Pro. Only problem I have is that somehow ipv4 pings to the internet do not work anymore (eg ping 8.8.8.8). It does work from the "Network Tools" section of the router though, so its definitely not a ISP modem problem. The firewall is switched off. Anybody else have the same problem?

After some trial/error: If I switch on / off the firewall, pinging works normal again. Hope I don't have to do this too often...

Ax88 rev 1.1

I was able to revert back to previous firmware with zero issues. I first factory reset my RT-AX88U rev 1.1 before downgrading. Make sure you are using the firmware for RT-AX88U and not RT-AC88U. One can mistake between the models quite easily. Also use IE or Chrome to update firmware. Firefox has UI problems on router login page and some button presses just don't work as they should. You can also try clearing Cookies and Cache of your browser before attempting the downgrade.

PS: 3 days since downgrade and everything is working like a dream. AI Mesh is also flawless.
Did I just say AI Mesh is flawless?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!