What's new

ASUS RT-AX88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.7756

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I confirmed with ASUS that OFDMA is not supported on 2.4 GHz. While its function was good enough for Wi-Fi Certification, ASUS says they disabled it due to "interoperability" problems.

So now we have a Wi-Fi 6 Certified product that does not support all Wi-Fi 6 Certified functions. The Wi-Fi 6 scam continues.

This typically happens if you use channel 12 or 13, which aren't supported by all clients.
I did not check the channels before I sent it back. That is possible I guess, although I was puzzled about the speed differences between your beta for legacy 5ghz (good speed) and the newest ASUS firmware (really bad AC 5 speed, but good speed on AX), and inability for some clients to see the 5ghz network with the new firmware, while other clients could not see the 2.4 in the older/beta versions. I did check, and broadcast was definitely listed as on in the GUI. It was so odd, I decided to give it half a year before I tried with AX routers again...

ASUS says they disabled it due to "interoperability" problems.

I suspect that the 2.4 GHz is filled with a bunch of garbage, low-end clients that trip on this. Just like I've seen these 2.4 GHz clients also struggle to connect reliably if you enabled something like Airtime Fairness. That would be why 5 GHz clients don't suffer so many problems, as they are usually more modern products.

Unfortunately, these IoT manufacturers will never resolve their issues, so router manufacturers have to deal with them... somehow.

although I was puzzled about the speed differences between your beta for legacy 5ghz (good speed) and the newest ASUS firmware (really bad AC 5 speed, but good speed on AX),

Could be a matter of tweaking settings, or a matter of finetuning on Asus/Broadcom's end. The price to pay for using bleeding edge technology I'm afraid, and the reason why jumping on the AX bandwagon right now is risky.

My own RT-AX88U is rock stable here, but however I keep the HE/AX features disabled, and the only cheaper Wifi client I have on my network is my Roomba (which only supports the 2.4 GHz band). Printer and ShieldTV are connected over Ethernet, and my mobile devices are all mid-to-high end models.

7756 running fine here. No slowdown.
Ax88 rev 1.1

Thankfully, this FW works, as every attempt to flash an older version automatically results in a rollback to 7756.
Never experienced this on my other routers, and there's no option to disable this behavior.
Where do you find revision number

The price to pay for using bleeding edge technology I'm afraid, and the reason why jumping on the AX bandwagon right now is risky.
The price on Amazon.de for Cyber Monday was so good that worth taking the risk ;)
I'm also planning not to use specific AX features as I don't have an AX client.
But a 3 band router with 8 eth ports for 220E...

On the router's box. It is mentioned on the small white sticker.
My one label is hw rev A1 is that an early one I have nothing but problems and my old r7000 was much better signal my ax88 drops connection between two plasterboard walls and the 7000 was still rock solid. Question is do I have an early one or perhaps bad I have now had three different versions of firmware on it and always the same

My one label is hw rev A1 is that an early one I have nothing but problems and my old r7000 was much better signal my ax88 drops connection between two plasterboard walls and the 7000 was still rock solid. Question is do I have an early one or perhaps bad I have now had three different versions of firmware on it and always the same
I have both A1 and A1.1 and both are roughly the same. 5Ghz band has poor wall penetration. Can you try manually setting 5Ghz channel as 36 ?
If you believe you have a faulty router, raise a ticket with Asus customer support and you might receive a A1.1 but no guarantee.

Can anyone help me to find out any CPU or wireless differences between these two hardware revisions? Maybe some SSH commands?

The price on Amazon.de for Cyber Monday was so good that worth taking the risk ;)
I'm also planning not to use specific AX features as I don't have an AX client.
But a 3 band router with 8 eth ports for 220E...

The RT-AX88U is dual band, not tri-band.

I have both A1 and A1.1 and both are roughly the same. 5Ghz band has poor wall penetration. Can you try manually setting 5Ghz channel as 36 ?
If you believe you have a faulty router, raise a ticket with Asus customer support and you might receive a A1.1 but no guarantee.

Can anyone help me to find out any CPU or wireless differences between these two hardware revisions? Maybe some SSH commands?
I’m on channel 36 if I go to high channels it takes forever for my phone iPad get the SSID and connection is worse I would expect it to be same or better than my r7000 I’m not sure what region my r7000 was set to if that makes any difference. Just expected more from newer tech

I’m on channel 36 if I go to high channels it takes forever for my phone iPad get the SSID and connection is worse I would expect it to be same or better than my r7000 I’m not sure what region my r7000 was set to if that makes any difference. Just expected more from newer tech
If you mean DFS channels (> 48 and < 149), that's because devices can't actively look for routers/APs. They have to wait for APs to announce. This is required to use DFS channels.

This firmware version is useless. After doing the upgrade no devices in the house could hold a connection (2x Macbook Pro; 1x Ipad Pro; 1x Ipad 2; 1x Samsung S10; 1x Samsung Note 10+; 1x iPhone 8; 1x Apple TV; 1x Tivo; 2x Alexa; and 1x Samsung Printer - not one could hold a connection). Ended up having to downgrade from Version 3.0.0.4.384.7756 to 3.0.0.4.384.6436 and stability has returned. The upgrade was completely unusable! Makes me wonder if Asus even bother to test their firmware releases. I shall await a newer version and keep 6436 in reserve until a newer one proves itself to be stable.

This firmware version is useless. After doing the upgrade no devices in the house could hold a connection (2x Macbook Pro; 1x Ipad Pro; 1x Ipad 2; 1x Samsung S10; 1x Samsung Note 10+; 1x iPhone 8; 1x Apple TV; 1x Tivo; 2x Alexa; and 1x Samsung Printer - not one could hold a connection). Ended up having to downgrade from Version 3.0.0.4.384.7756 to 3.0.0.4.384.6436 and stability has returned. The upgrade was completely unusable! Makes me wonder if Asus even bother to test their firmware releases. I shall await a newer version and keep 6436 in reserve until a newer one proves itself to be stable.

getting like Microsoft and Symantec sloppy devs

I am using A1 as main router and I had the wifi and router page not opening problems with 7756 firmware. I use my other A1.1 as AI mesh node. I haven't bothered to swap my models to find out whether A1.1 model would be fine or not on 7756 because I downgraded both routers now to 6436 and everything is working flawlessly on it.
Can you look on box and tell us if yours is Hardware Version A1 or A1.1?
I have a hunch that only A1 models are getting affected by 7756 firmware whereas newer A1.1 models are fine.

I am using A1 as main router and I had the wifi and router page not opening problems with 7756 firmware. I use my other A1.1 as AI mesh node. I haven't bothered to swap my models to find out whether A1.1 model would be fine or not on 7756 because I downgraded both routers now to 6436 and everything is working flawlessly on it.
Can you look on box and tell us if yours is Hardware Version A1 or A1.1?
I have a hunch that only A1 models are getting affected by 7756 firmware whereas newer A1.1 models are fine.

7756 is crappy asus dont care they just rush things and are starting to be sloppy and lazy devs these routers wiĺl always be slow slow wifi slow wan etc

I sent some feedback about 7756 via the router feedback function.
I doubt ranting on this forum helps much.

I confirmed with ASUS that OFDMA is not supported on 2.4 GHz. While its function was good enough for Wi-Fi Certification, ASUS says they disabled it due to "interoperability" problems

Hello thiggins. When did you confirm that OFDMA is not supported on 2.4 GHz? Was is before October 29th, 2019?

I noticed that the Wifi Aliance certified RT-AX88U hardware revision 1.1 on October 29th, 2019. Since hardware revision 1.0 was not specified for the certification and only 1.1 was, I'm wondering if there was a hardware change between 1.0 and 1.1. Or possibly 1.0 wasn't specified since it's probably no longer being produced and distributed.

I'm curious since I'll probably be buying the RT-AX88U in the next few days.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!