What's new

ASUS RT-AX88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.7756

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

. I shall await a newer version and keep 6436 in reserve until a newer one proves itself to be stable.
Personally, I keep every firmware release I can get my hands on for every device I own "just in case". In many cases I have old versions already downloaded and saved *before* the product is even shipped to me :)

The RT-AX88U is dual band, not tri-band.

One should admit when one is an idiot :)

Technically speaking the most I need are 8 ports. So, as a consolation, I'm getting rid of the switch I'm using now, subject of cats playing with it. And new router playing node role can be hidden better, it's shorter than 68U. So less cats playing around ;)
Other than that: nothing! So, yeah, I just spend 200E for no good reason. I will re-purpose my good 68U to another house and there will get a new life.

I am using A1 as main router and I had the wifi and router page not opening problems with 7756 firmware. I use my other A1.1 as AI mesh node. I haven't bothered to swap my models to find out whether A1.1 model would be fine or not on 7756 because I downgraded both routers now to 6436 and everything is working flawlessly on it.
Can you look on box and tell us if yours is Hardware Version A1 or A1.1?
I have a hunch that only A1 models are getting affected by 7756 firmware whereas newer A1.1 models are fine.
Sorry for the delay, but yes, mine is an A1 not an A1.1

I should also add, that the problem persists with every version since then including 3.0.0.4.384.7977

I think I'm going to go off and fund a more stable wifi router firm. ASUS are just rubbish. It's a shame because the whole Mesh thing has so much promise (I also have a Lyra Trio, but I guess I'll need to replace them too).

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay, but yes, mine is an A1 not an A1.1

I should also add, that the problem persists with every version since then including 3.0.0.4.384.7977

I think I'm going to go off and fund a more stable wifi router firm. ASUS are just rubbish. It's a shame because the whole Mesh thing has so much promise (I also have a Lyra Trio, but I guess I'll need to replace them too).
Okay, so I solved the problem by installing asuswrt-merlin 384.15 - very stable. Problem solved... Until I upgraded to 384.16 and then all the same issues. No devices on the network could maintain connection for more than ~10 - 15 seconds. So, then I tried to upgrade to 384.17-Beta, but same issue (the thread for the beta is now closed so can't report it there). It feels like there is something in the base code that impacts the RT-AX88U A1 but how to work out what it is is something that is beyond me. Very frustrated that I'm potentially going to be stuck at 384.15 until something magic happens in a future release :(
I was thinking of changing router, but currently unemployed so not spending money is a priority.

Okay, so I solved the problem by installing asuswrt-merlin 384.15 - very stable. Problem solved... Until I upgraded to 384.16 and then all the same issues. No devices on the network could maintain connection for more than ~10 - 15 seconds. So, then I tried to upgrade to 384.17-Beta, but same issue (the thread for the beta is now closed so can't report it there). It feels like there is something in the base code that impacts the RT-AX88U A1 but how to work out what it is is something that is beyond me. Very frustrated that I'm potentially going to be stuck at 384.15 until something magic happens in a future release :(
I was thinking of changing router, but currently unemployed so not spending money is a priority.
Corbat,
Like L&LD suggested that you might want to try 384.17. RT-AX88U is a good Router, I also have the "A1" version like you, see my post below:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...384-13_8-are-now-available.63636/#post-575654
Suggest you fixed the Wifi "Control channel" and "bandwidth", try avoid DFS Channels if possible. Hope it works for you.

@Corbat the 384.17_0 release final is what you should be using today. :)

I can't remember if I suggested this previously here, but the following will get your router(s) back to a good/known state.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ax88-packet-loss.62891/#post-563326

M&M Config https://www.snbforums.com/threads/n...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

Nuclear Reset https://www.snbforums.com/threads/major-issues-w-rt-ac86u.56342/page-4#post-495710

Okay, so, first of all, thanks to @L&LD and @LimJK . What I have done is:

1. Upgrade from 384.15 to 384.17 (not the beta version but the .0 release and skipping past 384.16).
  2. Disabled 802.11ax / WiFi 6 mode - don't think there's anything in my house that can use it apart from maybe one iPhone
  3. Set the 5Ghz Control Channel to 36

Before this, even when things seemed stable in 384.15 the top speed I could get was around 50Mbps (download) with a Virgin Media 200Mbps subscription, though more often than not it hovered around 10Mbps. Now, I'm reportedly getting over 100Mbps, even with a VPN activated. I'm not going to make any other changes at this time - at least for a few days, and then only one at a time.

This is great progress. Thanks again!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!