What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.42820

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LimJK

Very Senior Member
Version 3.0.0.4.386.42820
2021/05/10 70.36 MBytes
ASUS RT-AX88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.42820
- Fixed IoT devices connection issues.
- Fixed the fragattacks vulnerability. (Edit 15 May 2021: this line was added later on Asus download website)

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: de715b28c7404eed4f5ee6bc007f9342

Last edited:
Hope this will fix my issue. I started to think my TV was acting strange lately with that message cable connect cable disconnect from time to time. It's connected with cable not wifi.

TBH this is a trash firmware right off the bat.

1. Resetting router does not show up wifi wizard.
2. Changing Device names and iconography stops working after 1-2 changes
3. router.asus.com url stops working randomly

TBH this is a trash firmware right off the bat.

1. Resetting router does not show up wifi wizard.
2. Changing Device names and iconography stops working after 1-2 changes
3. router.asus.com url stops working randomly

Oh man!
I had issues with a boiler switch and hoped it would be resolved that way.
And now I opened a guest network for IOT and works just fine

Oh man!
I had issues with a boiler switch and hoped it would be resolved that way.
And now I opened a guest network for IOT and works just fine

What kinds of IOT devices are you folks having issues with on 42819? I haven’t seen any so far, but maybe I just don’t have the devices causing issues.

Just did a dirty flash to 42820 from 42819. So far all seems well.

Could just be coincidence, but one thing I noticed is my throughput to the Internet measured by Comcast’s Speedtest tool is better, and more importantly is more consistent.

Again, could be maintenance on Comcast’s plant or other variables, but I’m seeing more stable connection speeds. Before with 42819, I was seeing peaks at higher speeds, but I was seeing fluctuations of hundreds of Mbps.

Observations:
  • When my RT-AX88U AiMesh Router’s 2.4GHz band was set to any Channels except Channel “1”, I observed that both my RT-AC86U AiMesh Nodes’ 2.4GHz band did not follow, they are stuck on Channel “1”.
  • RT-AC86U AiMesh Nodes’ 2.4GHz band degraded unpredictably from 3 streams (216.7 mbps) to 1 stream (72.2 mbps). I used WiFi Explorer App on my MacBookPro to see the “stream” information for my AiMesh Nodes
  • Still Testing my workaround ... it seems to be working for my setup:
    • Set AiMesh Router 2.4GHz Band to Channel 1, So that AiMesh Router / Nodes are aligned on Channel 1 for 2.4GHz band
    • SSH service restart_wireless to restart wireless service on the offending AiMesh Node when the 2.4GHz band degraded from 3 streams to 1 stream. (I have to repeat this a few times during the 1st day - it sticks with 3 streams after that - I cannot explain my workaround technically or logically, it has been just my trial and error for my setup over the last few months over multiple Stock and Merlin firmware where I observed the 2.4GHz degradation)
I have been running smoothly with Stock RT-AX88U 3.0.0.4_386_42820 for about 2 days except the above observations.

My Configuration:
  • AiMesh Router: RT-AX88U 3.0.0.4_386_42820 + 2 x AiMesh Nodes: RT-AC86U 3.0.0.4_386_42643
  • Backhaul (Priority:"Auto", Type:"Wired"), Asus GX-U1051 5-Port Gigabit Switch from Router to Nodes, ISP: 1 Gbps Fibre
Process:
  • I left my AiMesh Nodes on Stock RT-AC86U 3.0.0.4_386_42643 and Factory Reset by “Remove”ing from AiMesh Nodes via AiMesh GUI,
  • Followed by upgrading AiMesh Router from Merlin RT-AC86U 386.2_4 to Stock RT-AC86U 3.0.0.4_386_42820 and Factory Reset via GUI
  • and Followed by Adding both my AiMesh Nodes and final AiMesh Reboot via GUI.
I use Stock default NVRAM settings except with the following changes:
  • Enabled AiProtection: ON
  • USB Application
    • UPnP Media Server: OFF
    • Samba Share: OFF
  • LAN:
    • 40 items in my DHCP manually Assigned IP List (I used script to Backup and Restore these with customised icons)
  • Wireless:
    • 2.4 GHz: Fixed Channel Bandwidth 20MHz, Control Channel: 1, disabled both Explicit and Universal Beamforming.
    • 5.0 GHz: Fixed Channel Bandwidth 80MHz, Control Channel: 149
  • WAN DDNS:
    • Using Asus DDNS Service with Let’s Encrypt
  • VPN Servers (Connecting one at a time from the following clients) working correctly:
    • OpenVPN works with
      • MacBookPro macOS Big Sur 11.3.1 - Tunnelblick 3.8.6 beta03 (build 5700),
      • iPhoneXsMax iOS 14.5.1 - OpenVPN Connect 3.2.3
    • IPSec works with MacBookPro & iPhoneXsMax Native Configurations
      • Cisco IPSec
      • IKEv2
    • Instant Guard works with iPhoneXsMax iOS Instant Guard 1.0.0.1.5

Do you have any experience with Guest 1 over Mesh on this firmware version?

Do you have any experience with Guest 1 over Mesh on this firmware version?
Wisiwyg,
I normally do not need Guest Network at Home, however, after reading your post, I decided to set up Guest Network (1) sync to All AiMesh Nodes for 5.0GHz band only.
  • Guest Network (1) is working properly ,
  • At the same time I observed that there no more repeated "kernel: protocol 0800 is buggy ..." logs this time.

Last edited:
Wisiwyg,
I normally do not need Guest Network at Home, however, after reading your post, I decided to set up Guest Network (1) sync to All AiMesh Nodes for 5.0GHz band only.
  • Guest Network (1) is working properly ,
  • At the same time I observed that there no more repeated "kernel: protocol 0800 is buggy ..." logs this time.

For me, that buggy log issue was fixed on 42095, what didn't work for me was parental controls on Guest 1 though. Hopefully that's fixed on this release,

I see on the global version is has this

- Fixed the fragattacks vulnerability.

I see on the global version is has this

- Fixed the fragattacks vulnerability.
Thanks. I just updated the first post ... it is just propagating through Asus various country websites)

I didn't see any notifications in my router menu but using the update check revealed it so I just finished updating to it. If I see anything out of the ordinary I will report it.

Can someone explain the difference between guest and private wifi?

I updated my ax88u to 386.42820, and my iphone (ios 14.6 beta) didn't recognize I was connected to wifi, so it wouldn't let me download the 14.6 RC that just came out. I tried doing a factory reset on the router, turning smart connect on and off, changing the ssids, changing the passwords, experimenting with wpa2, wpa2/wpa3, protected management frames, wifi-agile multiband, etc, and the only thing that worked was enabling a guest network. Didn't matter if it was 2.4 or 5.0, but when connected to tthe guest network, my iphone figured it was connected good enough to let me download the update. Side note, i could use wifi for other processes on my phone just not the software update piece.

single node ax88u in ap mode.

Last edited:
I am having a bug with ios devices on this version where I cannot do any iCloud backups or do any software updates. when I connect to my isp’s provided router, I don’t have any issues. on my ASUS router settings there are no parental controls or anything like that. Everything was working fine before and nothing had been changed aside from this uplate. Can someone with an Ipad or iPhone try to do an iCloud backup to test please.

Can someone explain the difference between guest and private wifi?

I updated my ax88u to 386.42820, and my iphone (ios 14.6 beta) didn't recognize I was connected to wifi, so it wouldn't let me download the 14.6 RC that just came out. I tried doing a factory reset on the router, turning smart connect on and off, changing the ssids, changing the passwords, experimenting with wpa2, wpa2/wpa3, protected management frames, wifi-agile multiband, etc, and the only thing that worked was enabling a guest network. Didn't matter if it was 2.4 or 5.0, but when connected to tthe guest network, my iphone figured it was connected good enough to let me download the update. Side note, i could use wifi for other processes on my phone just not the software update piece.

single node ax88u in ap mode.
This is the exact problem I’m having

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!