What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.20499 (2022/08/25)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Are you suggesting that I can change the listening port to any other number?
There is no suggestion in my comment. I have changed the listening port!

Leider ist in der Version kein Wireguard mit Surfshark möglich. Noch nicht von Surfshark unterstützt.
No, Surfshark has not woken to the new Asus firmware. If you have a "manual" Wireguard file you can configure the new Asus firmware to connect and work. not knowing how to configure the router does not mean it does not work.

Gerne kannst du es hier selbst testen, ich glaube du hast ein AX88U wenn ich das richtig gesehen habe.

Ich habe es als Datei importiert und auch manuell, obwohl es eine Verbindung herstellt, baut es keine Internetverbindung auf.

Surfshark hat mir heute gesagt, dass sie das mit den Modellen noch nicht machen können. Aber es funktioniert mit OpenWRT-Routern.

Aber ich bin mehr als glücklich, von einem Profi unterrichtet zu werden.

Last edited:
You are welcome to test it yourself here, I think you have an AX88U if I saw it correctly.

I imported it as a file and also manually, although it connects, it does not establish an Internet connection.

Surfshark told me today that they can't do it with the models yet. But it works with openwrt routers.

#
# Use this configuration with WireGuard client
#
[Interface]
Address = 10.14.0.2/16
PrivateKey = UHj/9WhuJJ/23eAqIOEEWxtJ25e4VEYNWJ3fnBaVtFI=
DNS = 162.252.172.57, 149.154.159.92
[Peer]
PublicKey = d3ldwEjnFcbLwD1o8uC5xC3DaSNek8DGeTpOb/h/IE4=
AllowedIPs = 0.0.0.0/0
Endpoint = de-ber.prod.surfshark.com:51820

But I'm more than happy to be taught by a professional.
it was a very bad idea to share private keys and all other settings

Don't really see it that closely, I'll give it to you to test whether you'll continue to use it wouldn't be bad either. Since unlimited devices

you can set up WG manually - https://www.snbforums.com/threads/experimental-wireguard-for-hnd-platform-4-1-x-kernels.46164/

or with WG manager - https://github.com/MartineauUK/wireguard/blob/main/README.md#wireguard

both methods are working with Merlin CFW, not quiet sure that you will be able to do it with OFW
This thread is not about Merlin firmware. AS I have stated in several areas, the Asuswrt implementation of Wireguard via VPN Fusion is working if configured correctly via the GUI.

When I import a wireguard configuration file from WeVPN I still see the corruption at the reties at the very bottom of the config file . "&#10" is appended to the 25. Its no big deal as I just delete it. I do have difficulty allocating devices to the Fusion Tunnels. Most of the devices im trying to add already are "grey ticked" I believe these gray ticked devices are DHCP reserved/Fixed allocation to the IP addresses I want them to be. If I go to the default connection (For me its the PPPoE internet connection that is the default) and try un untick devices that are already grey and ticked I cant release these from the defualt connection, thus I cant allocated them to my New Wireguard tunnel that does connect when enabled.

Last edited:
Yes, I had the amp 10 problem as well. Just delete it.

Regarding the greyed out devices, this is because they have been assigned / bound to another profile / tunnel.

Unassign / remove the device from the original tunnel, and it will become available again.

I know - this severely limits VPN Fusion’s potential.

Here’s a trick I discovered.

By selecting Enable all devices on your default connection, you don’t have to assign or bind devices - leaving them free

Your default connection doesn’t have to be a WAN connection, it can also be a wireguard tunnel.

Default connections are available via 2.4 GHz wifi, and any individual assignments are available via 5 GHz.

If a device doesn’t have an individual assignment, you just get the default connection on both bands.

Last edited:
This thread is not about Merlin firmware. AS I have stated in several areas, the Asuswrt implementation of Wireguard via VPN Fusion is working if configured correctly via the GUI.
@bbunge

You say it's the setting:

Could you help me to get it to work and what I have to do?

The GUI shows me that it is connected, but I can't get an Internet connection with the provider.

If I turn it off, the internet comes back on immediately.

If I use another provider, the Wireguard works immediately. Even with the internet.

Here’s a trick I discovered.

By selecting Enable all devices on your default connection, you don’t have to assign or bind devices - leaving them free

Your default connection doesn’t have to be a WAN connection, it can also be a wireguard tunnel.

Default connections are available via 2.4 GHz wifi, and any individual assignments are available via 5 GHz.

If a device doesn’t have an individual assignment, you just get the default connection on both bands.
I believe all devices are selected to the default connection. I did re-check and had to slide the blue toggle to enable them all to the default PPPoE connrction to the Internet and press apply. Even If I deselect a device from the default connection (then press apply) I can then Not select it , in either of my two wireguard connections (These connections work when enabled)

I have not been able to get my head around the default connections for 2.4Ghz/5 Ghz having their own default connections. I cant even select one of the Smart TV's thats on the LAN to one of the connections I have created.

I did factory reset the AX88U before i configured this version of Asus firmware.

It all depends on what you are trying to achieve.

I have other routers or mobile connections that can provide local internet access. For me, it‘s about tunnels and access out of this isolated country.

So I‘m happy to be able to run 2 tunnels on one router. All devices have access to the 1st tunnel - Germany, and individual devices have access to the 2nd tunnel - UK. Goes without saying that all streaming services of the respective countries work flawlessly via these tunnels.

WireGuard is supported. It was easy to setup. It was an improvement on my previous setup.

You say that: I have not been able to get my head around the default connections for 2.4Ghz/5 Ghz having their own default connections.

It is possible. Although, only one default connection is possible - which applies to all devices.

The 2nd connection is for hand-picked devices which need access to that additional tunnel as well.

It all depends on what you are trying to achieve.

I
My use case is the simplest of simple, all I want to do is allocate a couple of devices to a VPN Fusion tunnel that I have created. Presently I cant see how I can do this. My default fusion tunnel is the PPPoe connection to the internet. I have two Wireguard tunnels that connect but cant add devices to them. I believe I have followed the Fusion release notes.

If you open the Tunnel’s profile, at the bottom of the profile you will see the list of devices assigned to that tunnel.

Note that the tunnel needs to be disconnected to make device changes.

Since you have two tunnels, you can’t assign the same device to both tunnels. Regardless of whether it is connected or not.

You can only achieve this by making one tunnel your default connection. Which doesn’t sound like it should work, but it does.

Adding devices to a tunnel is achieved by clicking on the pencil icon towards the bottom of the profile.

If you open the Tunnel’s profile, at the bottom of the profile you will see the list of devices assigned to that tunnel.

Since you have two tunnels, you can’t assign the same device to both tunnels. Regardless of whether it is connected or not.

You can only achieve this by making one tunnel your default connection. Which doesn’t sound like it should work, but it does.

Adding devices to a tunnel is achieved by clicking on the pencil icon towards the bottom of the profile.
Unfortunately it doesn't work with Surfshark either. Despite the right attitude and a hell of a lot of trying.

With any other VPN provider it works straight away.

There is a newer firmware for the AX88U. Recommend upgrading to it.

I think piecing things together is that all devices on the 2.4Ghz wifi and the local LAN are dedicated to the Default Tunnel, which is the PPPoe internet connection. Thus only devices on the 5Ghz are available to be "selected" for one of the other Fusion Tunnels. I have selected one Wiregurad tunnel as the Default by selecting all devices. Thus all devices exit over that tunnel. This leaves me to only select the 5Ghz wifi devices to allocate to the other Fusion Tunnel. This is not what I expected and not intuative so its take a while for the penny to drop.
Not sure if this is functioning as per Asus design of if this is an undocumented "Feature"

Needles to say the devices I wish to allocate to a Fusion tunnel are on the LAN so its not workable for me at this time.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!